Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Any other center doing this? Starting this week instead of using off the street/hub workers we are using drivers as helpers. For me it's the best thing ever. He not only knows the DIAD unlike most helpers, buy also knows my route. So we can destroy a bricked out truck like it's a 9.5 dispatch. I seriously wish they would do this for all of peak but I know they won't. I wonder what their plan is with this? Two top rate drivers teaming up costs much more than a hub employee as a helper, so why go this route? I'm not complaining of course lol.
Hell yeah. Used to love doing this. $35 an hour and zero responsibility. Sign me up

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Hell yeah. Used to love doing this. $35 an hour and zero responsibility. Sign me up

Yeah it's gravy. Plus if you use the helper board primarily there is no risk for record in travel since they only use the main driver DIAD to determine that. All this week my 'helper' has been ending up with 120 stops in his board while I only have about 60. So easy!

StoptheAct1212

One peak, i had a driver that had a issue with his license. . he had the keys i had the clicker... we were done soo fast, it wasent even fair... we both new the route and we were both hustlers. whoever got back first, was already sorting and jumping to the next building....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
See I would understand if they sent out drivers with a seasonal or a new driver. Last peak they did things like take a regular route and split it in two. One route would be all businesses and pickups ran by a seasonal driver. The other would be the residential of that same route ran by the regular driver with a helper. For that I would understand them sending me out with a seasonal so he could learn my business so they could do the same with my route. But no, they sent me out with a guy who already knows my route and has been there almost as long as I have. It's great for us as we can finish fast but I don't understand what the strategy is in terms of peak. I know they won't run this all peak.
Stop being an armchair manager....as long as the check clears wgaf what those clowns do.... You have been here long enough to know that good enough and works fine and efficient enough is code words for lets friend it up and expect better results.... Come on man you know how this s is run by now...lmao

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah it's gravy. Plus if you use the helper board primarily there is no risk for record in travel since they only use the main driver DIAD to determine that. All this week my 'helper' has been ending up with 120 stops in his board while I only have about 60. So easy!
Oh brother ....you and the act should go out together.... No doubt would set the world ups record for amount of stops done in one day.... Congrats, here's 75 more for your delivering enjoyment!!

barnyard

KTM rider
I was a helper the 2nd year I was a FT driver with another driver. Did it for a week. We each had a set of keys. 1st one back to the truck would move to the next stop and get the next stop set and deliver for where it was parked.

We killed it.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Stop being an armchair manager....as long as the check clears wgaf what those clowns do.... You have been here long enough to know that good enough and works fine and efficient enough is code words for lets friend it up and expect better results.... Come on man you know how this s is run by now...lmao

Calm down buddy. I'm not trying to be any kind of manager. Just curious as to what their thinking is for the driver/driver teams. As Dr. Brownz said, two separate drivers would show another route. I understand that part but still curious why they didn't pair me with a newbie. Our building has an abundance of them.

a911scanner

Calm down buddy. I'm not trying to be any kind of manager. Just curious as to what their thinking is for the driver/driver teams. As Dr. Brownz said, two separate drivers would show another route. I understand that part but still curious why they didn't pair me with a newbie. Our building has an abundance of them.
I agree with this thought process. I don't want to manage anyone but myself and my time working for the brown.

That being said, the more a new driver knows, the less chance I have of having to go take stops from them later. This theory prevents me from having to work extra to help them.

Mythical Methods

I searched and found this thread to review looking for information on RTD and DOT regulations. Seems to be the most relevant, although old, so I am posting under it because it’s relevant.

Please correct my management team if They told wrong but I am trying to understand how this exactly works, and if someone could explain the law to me using DOT language/references I would appreciate it.

I went into preload at 1:45am. I was then used as a helper, with a two hour break from 9:30am to 11:30am before I went on car. I was told that the rule is as follows: 14 hours plus/from first punch. Meaning I was to be off the clock at 3:45pm.

According to sups this is required because I have a DOT card and they are paying me as a RTD rate. It doesn’t matter whether I drive zero hours or max hours. I am not allowed to work past 14 hours after first punch with or without breaks or double shift within 24 hours and I must be off for 10 hours between end of previous shift before starting next new punch.

This however causes problems for the driver who is over dispatched with work and needs me longer. So for my information is the above correct or not? If it is not that means I could make more money under this rule if necessary.

I am also interested in understanding how to use the rule on Fridays so I can still make RTD rate as helper and have enough hours to work Saturday air for that extra money. Although I understand another rule applies after 6th punch. If anyone can explain this to me that would be great.

To sum it up:

Does hours of service apply to a helper who worked preload and used as a helper while being paid RTD rate?

How is a RTD used as a helper at RTD rate to not exceed DOT hours, especially on 6th punch and time required off?

Thanks.

barnyard

KTM rider
According to sups this is required because I have a DOT card and they are paying me as a RTD rate. It doesn’t matter whether I drive zero hours or max hours. I am not allowed to work past 14 hours after first punch with or without breaks or double shift within 24 hours and I must be off for 10 hours between end of previous shift before starting next new punch.

They are making you follow DOT rules just in case you have to drive. My guess is that eventually, you will not be a helper, but will take out a package car with a half day of work.

CoolStoryBro

Does hours of service apply to a helper who worked preload and used as a helper while being paid RTD rate?

How is a RTD used as a helper at RTD rate to not exceed DOT hours, especially on 6th punch and time required off?

Thanks.

What does RTD mean? Your whole post is kind of not clear.

Are you an air driver? If you start a shift you still need 10 hours off even if you didn't drive the day before. And you cannot drive past 60 hours even if you weren't driving most of the hours you already worked since your last 34 hour reset.