driver helper driving own vehicle?

vh5

Is a driver helper allowed to drive his own vehicle to assist driver with packages? Driver said he wants me to take my own car to deliver.

vh5

I think it's not allowed but this driver has like twenty years experience and is saying it's ok. I know it makes no sense, like UPS would not want anyone driving around packages who is not trained as a driver, but would this driver risk his job and have a driver helper do this? I've only been a helper since last week so I thought I would post here to see if this is a common unauthorized procedure.

vh5

He said he would reimburse me for gas. Is this some kind of test or something? I don't want to get in trouble but I don't want to call and say he told me to do this. Why would a driver think this is a good idea?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
He said he would reimburse me for gas. Is this some kind of test or something? I don't want to get in trouble but I don't want to call and say he told me to do this.

That statement right there should send up RED flags like crazy. UPS pays mileage for drivers that have to use their cars in extraordinary situations. IE: driving to a different center to work. The fact that the driver is saying he will reimburse your gas is a huge warning.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
The things that make a good helper...Willing to work whenever, learn how to use the DIAD, show up, don't get hurt. Using your own car is probably not a great idea and I'm sure LP would agree.

brown bomber

brown bomber
major problems w/ potential litigation issues.......accidents and insurance problems pose the most serious questions...........WHY WOULD A DRIVER EVEN PROPOSE THIS ?????

glad I'm retired.........we had some knuckleheads in the past try some questionable practices during peak.....this one trumps all of them

Coldworld

60 months and counting
major problems w/ potential litigation issues.......accidents and insurance problems pose the most serious questions...........WHY WOULD A DRIVER EVEN PROPOSE THIS ?????

glad I'm retired.........we had some knuckleheads in the past try some questionable practices during peak.....this one trumps all of them

Were those knuckleheads in the driving ranks or management...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
He said he would reimburse me for gas. Is this some kind of test or something? I don't want to get in trouble but I don't want to call and say he told me to do this. Why would a driver think this is a good idea?

It is unfortunate that a driver with 20 yrs is trying to solicit a $9 per hour peak hire into doing something that violates the contract, violates company policy, and violates the law (I am assuming you do not have a D.O.T card.)

Under no circumstances is a helper allowed to deliver packages out of his/her personal vehicle. EVER. There are a some rules and policies that can be "bent" a little bit depending upon the situation, but this is NOT one of them.

You need to contact the management person who hired you and explain the situation to them. You want to work, but you dont want to break the law. Dont worry about getting your driver in trouble....if he is trying to coerce you into delivering packages out of your personal vehicle, he NEEDS to get in trouble.

AssistantSanta

I'm only a seasonal temp, but what I tell you has nothing to do with UPS in specific.

Personal auto insurance policies almost always prohibit commercial use and anything that may happen during the course becomes uncovered incidents.

Pizza delivery drivers operate similarly, but the company (if it's a chain store especially) usually holds auto for-hire policy that covers the company's rear from getting sued by someone you hit. Their base pay maybe below min wage, but final pay must be no less than minimum wage, so the company will pay minimum wage even if you make zero tip and realistically if you provide even semi-decent customer service, you'll make tip, so you'll make more than minimum wage.

Getting near minimum wage or minimum wage, zero tip, and using personal vehicle under conditions prohibited by your insurance couldn't get any worse.

JonFrum

First, are you sure your driver isn't just pulling your leg?

Second, always take issues like this to the Local Union first rather than Management.

Third, check your Contract Supplement for Helper language. In New England, Article 67 says, "Helpers will not be allowed to do any driving work whatsoever."

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds like that 20 year driver is on to something. Why don't he just give the keys to his package car to the helper-- then the driver could secretly stay home all day and watch Oprah while the helper did all the work.