driver helper driving own vehicle?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sounds like that 20 year driver is on to something. Why don't he just give the keys to his package car to the helper-- then the driver could secretly stay home all day and watch Oprah while the helper did all the work.
Don't forget the Bon-bons.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is unfortunate that a driver with 20 yrs is trying to solicit a $9 per hour peak hire into doing something that violates the contract, violates company policy, and violates the law (I am assuming you do not have a D.O.T card.)

Under no circumstances is a helper allowed to deliver packages out of his/her personal vehicle. EVER. There are a some rules and policies that can be "bent" a little bit depending upon the situation, but this is NOT one of them.

Also, any vehicle used commercially has to be inspected and have the appropriate DOT placards (like the signs on the doors of our rentals.) If you got into an accident while delivering from your own car, you would be in a world of liability hurt.

Packmule

Most people's auto insurance is limited to personal use only. If an accident were to occur at a time when you were using it in a commercial capacity, quite likely it would be void.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was foolish enough to do this for a few days several years ago. My helper was a preloader. He would meet me on area at our local college. After we delivered their pkgs we would take the packages for the residential area surrounding the college and put them on the loading dock. He would then break those down by street, load them in to his car, deliver them, and continue doing this until the pile was gone. He would then meet me on area and we would work together until the route was down to where I would be OK on my own. I would give him money for gas. It did save time. The liability issue never entered my mind or if it did it never factored in to the equation. Looking back on it it was a foolish decision which could have ended up very badly for both of us had anything happened.

To the OP--you need to tell your driver that you were not hired to deliver out of your own vehicle--if he insists you then need to mention this to your management team. While it can save time it is not worth the potential liability that could arise if something were to happen.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The only UPS transportation mode YOU are allowed to use is the TWO Wheeler !!!! KNOW It ,Learn it ,Love it !! Now go knock off that apt building over there young Jedi !!

Last edited:

rocket man

It is unfortunate that a driver with 20 yrs is trying to solicit a $9 per hour peak hire into doing something that violates the contract, violates company policy, and violates the law (I am assuming you do not have a D.O.T card.)

Under no circumstances is a helper allowed to deliver packages out of his/her personal vehicle. EVER. There are a some rules and policies that can be "bent" a little bit depending upon the situation, but this is NOT one of them.

You need to contact the management person who hired you and explain the situation to them. You want to work, but you dont want to break the law. Dont worry about getting your driver in trouble....if he is trying to coerce you into delivering packages out of your personal vehicle, he NEEDS to get in trouble.
THIS is one i agree with.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was foolish enough to do this for a few days several years ago. My helper was a preloader. He would meet me on area at our local college. After we delivered their pkgs we would take the packages for the residential area surrounding the college and put them on the loading dock. He would then break those down by street, load them in to his car, deliver them, and continue doing this until the pile was gone. He would then meet me on area and we would work together until the route was down to where I would be OK on my own. I would give him money for gas. It did save time. The liability issue never entered my mind or if it did it never factored in to the equation. Looking back on it it was a foolish decision which could have ended up very badly for both of us had anything happened.

To the OP--you need to tell your driver that you were not hired to deliver out of your own vehicle--if he insists you then need to mention this to your management team. While it can save time it is not worth the potential liability that could arise if something were to happen.

For some reason this post didn't surprise me at all. For someone who claims to have all the answers to every question asked on this forum you are the most clueless of them all.

AssistantSanta

It's also a security issue. One of the suspicious signs they say to look for in delivery drivers is the absence of official vehicle.

There are companies who utilize courier companies who then in turn use druggie criminal "independent contractors" who don't go through the same screening process as UPS or US Mail.

In rural areas where people only expect visitors to come up their drive, if they hear a car, they look out and recognize the mail or UPS truck. If I see a passenger car that I'm not expecting pull in, I would be alarmed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Upstate,didn't you deliver a stop on your way home in your personal car a few times....what is the difference between this and what op has been discussing????your off the clock,have no official dot markings, and don't have company insurance when your off....what would happen if you got in aN accident and the police found out you were delivering ???

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
QUOTE]

Its 8.50$

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate,didn't you deliver a stop on your way home in your personal car a few times....what is the difference between this and what op has been discussing????your off the clock,have no official dot markings, and don't have company insurance when your off....what would happen if you got in aN accident and the police found out you were delivering ???

This has already been beaten to death--I don't care to revisit it.

TheKid

Now go knock off that apt building over there young Jedi !!

When you snatch the pebble from my hand it will be time for you to leave ! !

rocket man

.what havent you done?

rocket man

Is a driver helper allowed to drive his own vehicle to assist driver with packages? Driver said he wants me to take my own car to deliver.
i looked into it, you are good to go. I found out you dont have to wear a uniform and the driver you are doing this for he has to scan (dr) driver release. all the packages, in advance, theres one exception high value packages if the people are not home? you just keep that package for 2 more days and there not home then you give it back to driver.if you are out there by your self and you think its the right adress and you are relally not sure? just put it at the house you think is correct , thats what we do and the driver you are working for he will not mind at all.and the company said you (have) to get paid every day, happy holiday