Driver job posting advice

Gravetech

I've been scanning the ups job board for awhile. Recently this was posted.

I started the application and a few days later received this email.

"UPS is currently hiring cover drivers if you are interested in the position please log into upsjobs.com and complete the application. Once the application is complete someone will reach out to you. thanks"

Now I'm confused because I thought cover drivers were pt. I know there's two classes of drivers one is 22.4 or something and I've read nothing but bad about it. Is that what this job post is for?

Curious what everyone's thoughts are about this. Also how true is it that you are never home? When I worked corrections I had to pull a double usually once a week sometimes more. Sometimes even on holidays. But I've heard ups is a bit worse to expect mon-sat 12 hours a day pretty much constantly. What's the truth to that?

I've been scanning the ups job board for awhile. Recently this was posted.

I started the application and a few days later received this email.

"UPS is currently hiring cover drivers if you are interested in the position please log into upsjobs.com and complete the application. Once the application is complete someone will reach out to you. thanks"

Now I'm confused because I thought cover drivers were pt. I know there's two classes of drivers one is 22.4 or something and I've read nothing but bad about it. Is that what this job post is for?

Curious what everyone's thoughts are about this. Also how true is it that you are never home? When I worked corrections I had to pull a double usually once a week sometimes more. Sometimes even on holidays. But I've heard ups is a bit worse to expect mon-sat 12 hours a day pretty much constantly. What's the truth to that?
All of our cover drivers are FT without a bid route. Only PT drivers we have are air drivers.

Gravetech

They’re both good jobs , do you want a job or not? Work your way up like everyone else. Oh yeah, you’ll be working Saturdays for 20 years 😂

🧔✊
That's not really answering my question. You can read on this site that 22.4 is a :censored2: show. I'm just looking for information to make a decision. I want a job but I do have options.

That's not really answering my question. You can read on this site that 22.4 is a * show. I'm just looking for information to make a decision. I want a job but I do have options.
Regular delivery driver and 22.4 are both the same job. Just that one pays more and has some excessive OT protection.

DrayD

You are correct Pt temporary cover driver (tcd) first then 22.4 depends on location and needs at least this is what I’m going through started in the hub started driving for peak and now tcd in 9 months when I’m not driving I go work my regular pt shift

Brown_$$

Is there any way to know which this is by the job posting?

From my understanding they don’t just hire Rpcd (the good driver job according to you) off the streets, if you are hired off the street you start off as a 22.4 and eventually with enough seniority you might have the chance to become RPCD. May take 20 years like the fellow mentioned above lol

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
That's not really answering my question. You can read on this site that 22.4 is a * show. I'm just looking for information to make a decision. I want a job but I do have options.
This whole website is a :censored2: show..you go cover driver then into a FT tues-sat 22.4 position at some point...it’s the only way. They both work same hours....YES I KNOW ITS CONFUSING.

🧔✊

Gravetech

From my understanding they don’t just hire Rpcd (the good driver job according to you) off the streets, if you are hired off the street you start off as a 22.4 and eventually with enough seniority you might have the chance to become RPCD. May take 20 years like the fellow mentioned above lol
Thanks. Am I missing something about 22.4? From what I understand from the guy above it's the same job with less money and no overtime protection. Which pretty much means getting :censored2:ed without lube.

I did interview at our ups in November and the lady said the driver list was 1-2 years but she didn't seem like she knew :censored2: about anything.

Gravetech

This whole website is a * show..you go cover driver then into a FT tues-sat 22.4 position at some point...it’s the only way. They both work same hours....YES I KNOW ITS CONFUSING.

🧔✊
That's what threw me off the job post said ft, but when I looked up cover driver after the email it said something different.

I gotta say this and the reddit make some interesting reading. Never seen a group hate their employer so much yet also talk about how great working there is. Usually people just hate the employer and working at a place.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
That's what threw me off the job post said ft, but when I looked up cover driver after the email it said something different.

I gotta say this and the reddit make some interesting reading. Never seen a group hate their employer so much yet also talk about how great working there is. Usually people just hate the employer and working at a place.
UPS is the best job out there , you don’t work as long as these old farts complain about...and beards are allowed!
🧔✊

Gravetech

UPS is the best job out there , you don’t work as long as these old farts complain about...and beards are allowed!
🧔✊
Thats encouraging. Are you a driver or mechanic?

So 6 12s isn't a thing?
Also do cover drivers accrue seniority? Do you lose seniority when move from cover to 22.4 to rpcd?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat

The company had a sound history until 1997 or whoever you ask (There was a time where you had to preload 3 trucks, know which town was in each one, and the weight limit was 25/50/75 lbs). Benefits are top notch, and busy hubs where you can get close or slightly over 7 hours nets you a check that would take 8 hours, and it's a real bitch to get fired unless you punch someone or steal.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Thats encouraging. Are you a driver or mechanic?

So 6 12s isn't a thing?
Also do cover drivers accrue seniority? Do you lose seniority when move from cover to 22.4 to rpcd?
I’m a driver , A RPCD AT THAT! no , your not going to work 12 hrs a day. You lose your part time seniority date but gain a full time seniority date. How old are you?

🧔✊