Driverless cars a threat to your job?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe in 10-15 years

• Carol has my back; We are family

• The Union will fail us

Results are only viewable after voting.

brett636

It’s no threat to my livelihood. Autonomous vehicle development has slowed to a crawl and even Google has backed off autonomous trucks. It’s a pipe dream of tech nerds who thought driving a truck was easy. It can be, but other times it’s not so straightforward.

muthatrucka

I just don’t know how a robot could drive through fog in the mountains that I have to deal with 4 days a week. I can’t even see, I’m just used to it.

muthatrucka

I just don’t know how a robot could drive through fog in the mountains that I have to deal with 4 days a week. I can’t even see, I’m just used to it.
Also how does a robot deal with these new vehicles and all their sensors that light up on a daily basis? Low coolant beepers, check engine, ABS, cruise fault. They can’t keep these trucks on the road with us ignoring all this stuff much less a computer that doesn’t have a brain.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Feeder platooning and automated hubs will be the biggest job killer in our lifetimes. At the end of the day we are still a generation away from society accepting driverless UPS cars running up and down residential streets. Not to mention, who’s taking the K-Cups from shelf 7 to the doorstep?

Thebrownblob

It’s no threat to my livelihood. Autonomous vehicle development has slowed to a crawl and even Google has backed off autonomous trucks. It’s a pipe dream of tech nerds who thought driving a truck was easy. It can be, but other times it’s not so straightforward.
It is currently a pipe dream because human beings still drive vehicles. Almost every car manufacturer is now calling themselves a mobility company. Most of the young people nowadays have no desire to really drive. I think the future may will be very different for commuting and travel.

TheDick

Tesla trying to run yard hoslers out of work besides platooning over the road A to B runs. Keep your eyes moving so you don't get squished. Nobody's gonna be behind the wheel.

JL 0513

In package, they'll need an android to do the rest of our job. Even if they could get a truck to safely drive itself in a snowstorm, you'd need an android close to that of Data from Star Trek that can adjust to every conceivable variable of the job.

Maybe in 40 years. I'm being generous, it took until the 24th century in Star Trek.

Over70irregs

In package, they'll need an android to do the rest of our job. Even if they could get a truck to safely drive itself in a snowstorm, you'd need an android close to that of Data from Star Trek that can adjust to every conceivable variable of the job.

Maybe in 40 years. I'm being generous, it took until the 24th century in Star Trek.
Just need jumpseat runners initially.

dudebro

That's why no one tests there, but autonomous vehicles are ALWAYS testing between El Paso and Phoenix. Automation won't solve every human use case in one effort, like today you're all fired, but it will steadily eat into the number of jobs that just vanish through attrition until the red circles retire over the next 50 years.

iruhnman630

The technology is here but still far short of what is necessary for the constant changes of the job.

We can get the packages from the building to the location, we can't get the packages delivered when at the location.

I could see feeders start going automated in that time frame