Driverless cars a threat to your job?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe in 10-15 years

• Carol has my back; We are family

• The Union will fail us

Results are only viewable after voting.

muthatrucka

That's why no one tests there, but autonomous vehicles are ALWAYS testing between El Paso and Phoenix. Automation won't solve every human use case in one effort, like today you're all fired, but it will steadily eat into the number of jobs that just vanish through attrition until the red circles retire over the next 50 years.
That’s cool, I don’t want my son to be a truck driver anyway.

MilkTheBrownCow

Never been a feeder driver but I imagine they would be easier to replace than a package car driver, because a package car driver has to do so much work other than just driving. From what Ive heard feeder drivers are mostly driving, which is why feeder drivers that Ive talked to go into becoming a feeder driver. When I was in school for electrical engineering, in 2010-2013, ai proving grounds (forget the exact name of the proving grounds) had AI vehicles go from Los Angeles to Las Vegas approximately 10 years before I was in school. I imagine there has been a lot of advancements since then. Probably government laws is going to be a big hurdler that AI will have to overcome to be a suitable replacement and will probably have to start out at smaller vehicles which hasn't happened yet. You'll probably start seeing other jobs go to AI before that like for example opticians, unfortunately I still have to go to one to get contact lenses because of the government when I should be able to go 2 minutes to a self service machine.

Last edited:

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Try 10 tops
Imagine a self-dfiving car smart enough to scan steering wheels and pick out of the way park positions. IMO it will take more than 10 years for it to be sophisticated enough to replace humans who can see the real world as the real world.
It's my understanding that self-driving really struggles with poorly marked roads, inclement weather and with identifying the difference between blowing leaves and a flock of birds.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
I don't believe it will be possible to fully replace drivers even if vehicles become 99.99% risk free. I do think though, that in the future, the UPS driver will transition into more of a "maintenance" position as while although the vehicle drives autonomously, he can regain control or perform manual overrides to prevent AI error (Likely to be the case as well if they ever have to perform non-standard dropoff). Similar to modern-day pilots once on air. It will likely heavily affect pay in the future. Every systematic process requires at least 1 person to oversee the procedure.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I don't believe it will be possible to fully replace drivers even if vehicles become 99.99% risk free. I do think though, that in the future, the UPS driver will transition into more of a "maintenance" position as while although the vehicle drives autonomously, he can regain control or perform manual overrides to prevent AI error (Likely to be the case as well if they ever have to perform non-standard dropoff). Similar to modern-day pilots once on air. It will likely heavily affect pay in the future. Every systematic process requires at least 1 person to oversee the procedure.
Exactly. We also have an extra layer of protection that a lot of companies don't have. #TeamsterStrong
Also, driverless technology is really expensive and UPS still has to do a really expensive hub retrofit for electric package cars and they are dragging their feet on that. We just got a ton of new gas burners.

nWo

I think they might be a threat to future generation feeder drivers. Current employees will have enough seniority to keep working

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Imagine a self-dfiving car smart enough to scan steering wheels and pick out of the way park positions. IMO it will take more than 10 years for it to be sophisticated enough to replace humans who can see the real world as the real world.
It's my understanding that self-driving really struggles with poorly marked roads, inclement weather and with identifying the difference between blowing leaves and a flock of birds.
Waymo is being used in Phoenix.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Isn't that the service with the human driver that takes over in adverse conditions?
From what I heard from someone who witnessed it, no driver in the car. It’s 225 miles of service area too. I live here and i didn’t know it existed. They stopped it a few years ago because a person on a bicycle got killed at night. And a driver was in it.