Drivers parking illegally

UnconTROLLed

perfection
340-E methods
V: 340.061208

Section 3 V

"Use your knowledge of the Delivery area."
A: Use your knowledge of the area to drive directly to the closest park position.

Driveslayer

This Madera guy is absolutely right. According to UPS and State Laws you can not park your package in fire lanes, no parking zones, handicap, etc. What if one of your children were injured in the store and a UPS package car was blocking close access to treat them. And all this so your sup. won't harrass you. If you are hit by another vehicle while your car is illegally parked, UPS will charge you with an avoidable accident. Wake up people!

This Madera guy is absolutely right. According to UPS and State Laws you can not park your package in fire lanes, no parking zones, handicap, etc. What if one of your children were injured in the store and a UPS package car was blocking close access to treat them. And all this so your sup. won't harrass you. If you are hit by another vehicle while your car is illegally parked, UPS will charge you with an avoidable accident. Wake up people!
but we are ups isn't it all about us??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I've got a news flash for you; If we get hit by another vehicle, UPS will "charge" us with an "avoidable" accident no matter how or where we were parked. Legal, illegal, safe, unsafe.... it doesnt matter any more, so there isnt any point in worrying about it.

I get what you are saying about illegal parking, but I must point out that the intent of most parking rules is to prevent unattended vehicles from being a safety hazard. There is a big difference between "illegally" parking in order to spend 45 seconds in the store delivering a package vs. illegally parking in order to spend an hour in the store shopping for clothes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've got a news flash for you; If we get hit by another vehicle, UPS will "charge" us with an "avoidable" accident no matter how or where we were parked. Legal, illegal, safe, unsafe.... it doesnt matter any more, so there isnt any point in worrying about it.

I get what you are saying about illegal parking, but I must point out that the intent of most parking rules is to prevent unattended vehicles from being a safety hazard. There is a big difference between "illegally" parking in order to spend 45 seconds in the store delivering a package vs. illegally parking in order to spend an hour in the store shopping for clothes.

I look at it the same way inside employees see bulk trains. We had a new policy several years ago, that bulk trains could not be left unattended blocking entrances and exits in the building. the same for package cars, for me anyway. If I'm in a storefront making a del, the pkg car is within view, it's not "unattended".

Driveslayer

I can only assume you apply this logic to other laws that are designed to keep you and others safe. I have been a UPS driver since the 80's and only in last 3 years have I followed all written policies and laws to the "T". Its been the best stress free years of my career.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can only assume you apply this logic to other laws that are designed to keep you and others safe. I have been a UPS driver since the 80's and only in last 3 years have I followed all written policies and laws to the "T". Its been the best stress free years of my career.

I'm glad that it is working for you, and about 99% of the time that is what I do also. The other 1% of the time I allow my actions to be guided by logic and common sense. If that makes me a "lawbreaker" or a "bad employee" then so be it.

I dont personally deliver in a major metro area but I know drivers who do, and for them double parking is simply a fact of life and the company pays thousands of $$ per year as part of the cost of doing business.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dont personally deliver in a major metro area but I know drivers who do, and for them double parking is simply a fact of life and the company pays thousands of $$ per year as part of the cost of doing business.

Try millions $$. We have been told that UPS pays about $2M per year just in NYC.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm glad that it is working for you, and about 99% of the time that is what I do also. The other 1% of the time I allow my actions to be guided by logic and common sense. If that makes me a "lawbreaker" or a "bad employee" then so be it.

Bravo Sober! We have certain areas in a few of our towns that we deliver to where it is all but impossible to deliver without somehow breaking a law. There are 2 areas in particular (2 different towns) that are high in tourist traffic and there is rarely ever any parking available so we have to double park. It's not just UPS, it's Fedex and local freight companies as well. Our local PD's know this. They understand that we are only going to be a few seconds. They don't give us a hard time about it.