Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

ITwannabe

Recently heard a guy who retired from our center passed away like five years or so after retireing. Then I heard some senior drivers talking about how he as like the sixth driver they knew who passed away shortly after retirement. Is this a trend at other centers?

SmithBarney

Happens a lot more than you think, and not just in this industry. People's Biological clocks are complex, sort of like when
married couples of many many years will die just hours or days apart.

Dr.Brownz

My dad was a driver. Been retired many years and no health issues. He works on hobby construction projects, designs architectural crap for people in town so he pretty much works not part time but "some time" as he calls it, basically his schedule. He rides bicycle alot too. Rode to the ocean and back two years ago (500+ miles!)

PACNW

Not sure about drivers, but read a stat a while back that said the avg life expectancy of a UPS management person post retirement is less than 5 yrs. Had a manager die of a massive heart attack 2 months after retirement. Also know of a feeder driver that retired in great physical health, only to be struck by a Semi truck while riding his Harley the next day. Sucks, we all deserve to have some nice golden years after all we give to the shield.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
When I was a cop I always heard that the life expectancy after retirement was less than five years...ups is high stress but for different reasons so I'd imagine it's similar...so drink your beers now gentleman

brown67

Happens a lot. Doctor told my dad to find something to do when he retired. Large percent of men die within 5 years of retirement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another reason I'm not in a hurry to retire....

The difference between you and other retirees is that you will have activities to choose from to fill your day. You have mentioned in the past that you and your wife are very active in your church and that you both like to volunteer your time and services to help those less fortunate. Charities love it when a UPSer volunteers as we tend to more organized than most.

We had a driver die within 6 months of retirement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure about drivers, but read a stat a while back that said the avg life expectancy of a UPS management person post retirement is less than 5 yrs. Had a manager die of a massive heart attack 2 months after retirement. Also know of a feeder driver that retired in great physical health, only to be struck by a Semi truck while riding his Harley the next day. Sucks, we all deserve to have some nice golden years after all we give to the shield.

Tragically ironic.

Indecisi0n

Isnt Feeder driver and great physical shape an oxymoron?

dudebro

This might be corny, but I think there are a lot of people who define themselves as a UPSer mentally. Like, "I'm a driver" or "I'm a center manager". And when they don't have to do those things anymore, they lose their sense of identity and seem to give up.

I think you have to guard against that and change your mentality if you think this way. "I'm a grandfather" or "I'm the mayor of the local place where I go get the newspaper" or "I'm the Meals on Wheels director" so that you don't feel like your purpose is gone when you retire. I think that's what the doctor means when he tells people to "find something to do". You need to find a purpose that was just as strong as getting up at 6am to go to work.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
This might be corny, but I think there are a lot of people who define themselves as a UPSer mentally. Like, "I'm a driver" or "I'm a center manager". And when they don't have to do those things anymore, they lose their sense of identity and seem to give up.

I think you have to guard against that and change your mentality if you think this way. "I'm a grandfather" or "I'm the mayor of the local place where I go get the newspaper" or "I'm the Meals on Wheels director" so that you don't feel like your purpose is gone when you retire. I think that's what the doctor means when he tells people to "find something to do". You need to find a purpose that was just as strong as getting up at 6am to go to work.

Excellent point. I have never considered myself "a ups driver".
Of course, I do drive, and it happens to be for ups.

My purpose in retirement, is to take camping to a higher level than most mortals can even imagine.

ITwannabe

It makes me wonder about all these young employees who just starting driving. They have much heavier days, longer days, and a lot heavier box s compared to the guys who started 30 years ago. And the guys(some of them) who started 30 years ago are passing away soon after retirement. I would imagine to see this trend more and more? Just goes to show you how stressful and physical UPS driving is. Maybe coorporate should look at that statistic since they seem to like stats so much ...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It makes me wonder about all these young employees who just starting driving. They have much heavier days, longer days, and a lot heavier box s compared to the guys who started 30 years ago. And the guys(some of them) who started 30 years ago are passing away soon after retirement. I would imagine to see this trend more and more? Just goes to show you how stressful and physical UPS driving is. Maybe corporate should look at that statistic since they seem to like stats so much ...

Could it be that they (corporate) have increased the workload to the point where they know that this is no longer a 30 year job?