Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

MethodsMan

The majority of PTers I speak to in passing, have zero interest in going driving. Said they don't want to put up with the BS. All young people. Early to late 20s. I work with MANY off the street hires. About a 75 driver center. Would say easy 10-20 off street. You have to remember drivers transfer. SO if you work with 10-20 off street hires. They didn't all make book in that center

They don't want to put the Xbox controller down. There's PT guys who are still PT that worked there way before I did and have no ambition to ever do anything besides come in for 4 hours and go home.

PT Car Washer

They don't want to put the Xbox controller down. There's PT guys who are still PT that worked there way before I did and have no ambition to ever do anything besides come in for 4 hours and go home.
For $34/hr do you blame them ? There are also drivers who are happy working 2 or 3 days a week. Or drivers that every time they stub their toe go on workman's comp for a month.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's a changing society where young people question putting in the effort to achieve the American Dream of a big house filled up with junk.
I doubt if I would work for UPS if I was 20 years old now ... there is more to life than living your life like a rat in a cage.

rod

Retired 22 years
Its a sad fact but people actually die when they get older. Retiring has nothing to do with it. Sure there are a few who die the day they walk out the door but their time was up anyway. I don't think the % of retirees who die shortly after leaving work is any higher than anything else. Read the obits sometime. Its full of 50-60 year old people who have kicked the bucket for one reason or the other. In the history of my old Center there has been only 2 who have died in the first 5 years after retiring. The rest of us are still raising hell -- including our oldest retiree who is 85. If you are afraid to retire because you think you are going to die then go ahead and die behind the wheel of the brown truck.