Energy

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Just wondering what the other package car drivers use to keep their energy up during the day.

Obviously being well rested and a good diet is important, but I tend to find myself draggin' ass part way through the day. I usually drink diet mountain dew to get me going in the mornings because I don't like coffee.

I'm looking for cheap energy sources. I found No Doz but from what I can see it appears to have been recalled and not super healthy for you. 5 Hour energy shots work great for me but are too expensive for daily use making new driver pay...

Aside from getting sleep and a good diet, what do you do/use to keep your energy up during the day?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Obviously the utopia answer is to eat right, exercise (as if you don't get enough...) and get adequate sleep.

That said, I use caffeine pills. They're safe, non-habit forming and do work. The best value is a product called "Jet-Alert," sold in 90-ct bottles for about $3 at Walmart. Coffee, 5-Hour Energy, etc. are effective for no other reason than their caffeine content.

I'll also suggest forgoing breakfast & lunch in favor of small, healthy snacks throughout the day. You'll find yourself feeling more satisfied, with more energy. Add caffeine pills when you need a jolt of energy. Also, 10 to 20 minute naps make you feel amazing when you're really worn out. Set your phone's alarm.

Indecisi0n

99.9% of any energy supplement is going to have the crash to go along with it. For most people you are not going to have that get-up-and-go energy all day. When you start to become tired just adjust your pace to stay safe.

beentheredonethat

I totally agree with being well rested and a good diet. However, you also said you drink Diet Mtn Dew (I'm assuming for the caffeine). I suggest if you are having a problem with energy levels, your diet isn't as good as you think it is, esp the Diet Mtn Dew. I suggest laying off all simple sugars in all forms. Drink lots of water, eat a lot of protein and consume healthy fats (Olive oils, Omega 3's - from fish and flax seed, coconut oil).Try to avoid breads, potatoes, corn, virtually anything packaged in the convenience stores or supermarket. I used to be the type that avoided breakfast. I realize what they say is true, it's very important meal to get your body going. I usually start off the day with some eggs (usually try to have 2 egg whites, and 1 whole egg) in the form of an omelet with some vegetables in it (onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach etc in it - took a while to get used to spinach). I try to eat a salad every day (as a meal-not as a side with dinner). I'll eat nuts as snacks if I'm hungry. I basically eat an Atkins type diet (Hi protein, low carb) diet and I also take a lot of supplements (B Vitamins help with energy, COQ10 for heart and also energy, A,C,E,D3, plus lots of herbs and also minerals). Maybe I go a bit overboard, but my energy level is so much better then when I ate like the traditional american diet. As a final note, caffeine is a good pick me up. But it also helps to let your body 'crash' later in the day when the caffeine goes away, (similar to sugars). That's why it's best to try to avoid them for a few weeks and with a better diet, see how you feel. Good luck.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I totally agree with being well rested and a good diet. However, you also said you drink Diet Mtn Dew (I'm assuming for the caffeine). I suggest if you are having a problem with energy levels, your diet isn't as good as you think it is, esp the Diet Mtn Dew. I suggest laying off all simple sugars in all forms. Drink lots of water, eat a lot of protein and consume healthy fats (Olive oils, Omega 3's - from fish and flax seed, coconut oil).Try to avoid breads, potatoes, corn, virtually anything packaged in the convenience stores or supermarket. I used to be the type that avoided breakfast. I realize what they say is true, it's very important meal to get your body going. I usually start off the day with some eggs (usually try to have 2 egg whites, and 1 whole egg) in the form of an omelet with some vegetables in it (onions, peppers, mushrooms, spinach etc in it - took a while to get used to spinach). I try to eat a salad every day (as a meal-not as a side with dinner). I'll eat nuts as snacks if I'm hungry. I basically eat an Atkins type diet (Hi protein, low carb) diet and I also take a lot of supplements (B Vitamins help with energy, COQ10 for heart and also energy, A,C,E,D3, plus lots of herbs and also minerals). Maybe I go a bit overboard, but my energy level is so much better then when I ate like the traditional american diet. As a final note, caffeine is a good pick me up. But it also helps to let your body 'crash' later in the day when the caffeine goes away, (similar to sugars). That's why it's best to try to avoid them for a few weeks and with a better diet, see how you feel. Good luck.

Good stuff. Thanks.

barnyard

KTM rider
I take a break and eat lunch. I drink water during the day and if I feel myself getting tired, I take break and eat lunch.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Awesome I'll try the jet alert option. 5 Hour energy has no crash for me. I'm assuming Jet Alert does?

Everybody responds to caffeine different. I rarely get a crash, but when I do another pill or quick nap nullifies it. Since you didn't experiences crashes from 5-Hour Energy, there's no reason to believe the "side effects" of caffeine pills will be any different, since it's been proven there's nothing formulated into 5-Hour to prevent crashes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/business/5-hour-energys-no-crash-later-claim-is-disputed.html?_r=0

Any caffeine pill, BTW, will do. Jet-Alert is merely the cheapest (cheaper than Walmart brand) -- I've used it for years & it's very effective when you need it. NoDoze was pulled from the market due to production issues, not the safety of the product itself.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I would stay away from those energy shots. I was taking a stacker energy shot about 10 minutes before work everyday all week long. The were great at first, then I started to have kidney pains. I was worried about getting sick and all ( for whatever reason it was ). So I stopped the stackers ( at the time I didnt know they were causing it ) and the pain went away. Its the huge amount of b3, b6 or b12 they contain. Something like 3000% of a daily intake all at once.

Goes to show you, even good things like vitamins is bad for you. All things in huge amounts is bad for you.

My suggestion is to be eating plenty of calories before, after and during a shift. Calories equal energy, and keep yourself drinking small amounts of water to produce electrolyte mixture in your system. A car needs gas to go, higher the octane, the better the performance.

teamsterdan

while the obvious advice of diet, exercise, and quality rest give you the best chance of being your best all day having been on the pre-load the majority of my 20yrs..... this stuff not only keeps me awake it gives me enough energy to hang with the young guys on the unload..... as far as the crash goes i would say for me and for this product it tends to have a cumulative effect.......meaning i will get "fatigued" not just tired maybe once a week or less frequently and sleep for a good 12 hrs......it kinda comes with the job so i just go with it......i think the best advice for ALL upsers is to listen to OUR OWN BODIES......when your tired rest, pace yourselves and stay safe fellas.......remember your LAST STOP (home) is always the best stop.........ALLONS
Stay Alert Gum | Stay Alert Caffeine Chewing Gum | Energy Gum

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have found running and using the elliptical have increased my energy. I especially like the elliptical because it's easy on the knees. We are consistently doing the same things over and over. Our bodies become used to doing these activities and any variation makes us feel we had a "hard" or "easy" day. If you consistently push yourself beyond your hard day with exercise then even on your hard days you'll be used to the extra workload.

barnyard

KTM rider
Jackburton nailed it.

Coming off shoulder surgery, I did a work conditioning program. I worked out hard for 4 hours, 5 days a week. I also rode my bike 2-3 hours a day. By the time I got back to work, I was in better shape than I have been in since I quit milking cows.

I maintain by riding a stationary bike (in winter, when it gets nice out, I will be back outside) and doing a 45ish minute yoga routine. The yoga maintains my core strength, which makes maintaining my posture easier. Maintaining my posture keeps me more alert and focused.

All my life I have heard people older than me talking about how much aging sucks. In my experience, everyone has grossly understated the suckiness of aging.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I drink a soda in the morning on my way IN to work, or a cup of Tea. If I had a rough night the night before, I'll bring in a red bull or two and hit the first one shortly into the day and then one around lunchtime

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yep!

Endurance, endurance and endurance.

To the OP, you just started driving? What was your last job inside, if any, within building? Driving is very hands on with a lot of endurance. Picture playing a professional sport ok. Playing the sport is the easy part, but the training for it is the hard part. If you were not walking as much or lifting as much in your pervious job, then this will be common problem until your body adjust to the work load.

I like the comments made here, most of these drivers here are always looking to make their job easier. That is pushing past the physical aspects by doing other physical activites on the side. I know one driver here that is a marathon runner on his vacations, and trains often on the weekends. Hes in his upper 50's and rides a bike to work and rocks a body like a 20 something. One of the best drivers in the building. Its almost like he uses the driving job as more training. And is always smiling no matter the load amount or quality.

Just wondering what the other package car drivers use to keep their energy up during the day.

Obviously being well rested and a good diet is important, but I tend to find myself draggin' ass part way through the day. I usually drink diet mountain dew to get me going in the mornings because I don't like coffee.

I'm looking for cheap energy sources. I found No Doz but from what I can see it appears to have been recalled and not super healthy for you. 5 Hour energy shots work great for me but are too expensive for daily use making new driver pay...

Aside from getting sleep and a good diet, what do you do/use to keep your energy up during the day?
pandora radio in my ear via Bluetooth and the Jim Rome show daily mixing in phone conversation. The day flies by.