Ethanol Gas / Alternative Fuels - "Off topic"

Discussion in 'Life After Brown' started by Richard Harrow, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Deplorable.

You guys can keep your green cars. I'm just going to wait until Lockheed Martin perfects nuclear fusion within the next few years. I believe 2017 was the date mentioned. Then I'll go out and find me an '81 DeLorean, drop on a Mr. Fusion and have a good old time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Although nuclear fusion may never be an option, hydrogen will be. The only emission is water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I still would like to see a diesel electric hybrid. Even a Harley 88 cube used to generate electric power. Imagine the marketing possibilities! !

4. UpstateNYUPSer

Diesel is still considered by many to be a "dirty" fuel. Diesel hybrid sounds like an oxymoron. VW is working really hard to change that mindset with their TDI.

5. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Diesel hybrid is what powers freight trains.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

I'm not talking about fueling the entire country----I'm talking about fueling passenger vehicles.

7. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

The only thing is that they haven't developed any regenerative braking system for locomotives.

8. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Trains do have a regenerative braking system, but they have no electric storage capacity. The electricity generated is turned into heat and dissipated just like a giant hair dryer.

9. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Yeah, that's what I mean. Generated and wasted, just like regular brakes. Kinetic energy transformed into heat and dissipated.

10. PT Car Washer

But yet the Federal government has requirements that so much ethanol must be produced each year. With tax credits to make it competitive. Everyone uses E 10 gasoline in my state because it is 15 cents a gallon cheaper.

11. youllbefine

youllbefine Active Member

Wow you really know nothing about ethanol do you

12. It does wonders,for my lawnmower,generator,and tiller every year. Lots of clogged carburetors and fuel lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

[derail] Tell me! I replaced fuel lines in two weed trimmers and one tiller (Mantis) last spring because the ethanol dissolved them! [/derail]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  14. PT Car Washer

Ethanol blend is not recommended for small engines. UPS mechanics tell everyone to stay away from it for their personal cars. UPS does not use ethanol blend in package cars. Good enough for me. I would rather spend the extra $2.00 a tank full for regular unleaded gas.

15. youllbefine

Not Recommend for small engines silly boy

16. youllbefine

NOT recommend

17. youllbefine

We run E85 in our personal vehicles... Sometimes up to a dollar cheaper. Do you guys even know where ethanol comes from?

18. Loom at the gas pump next time,usually says "contains up to 10% ethanol"

19. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Problem is, nobody sell non-ethanol gas around here. New fuel lines, higher octane (for mixed gas) and I'm good to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. PT Car Washer

Yeah comes from corn. Drives up the corn prices and the beef and pork prices. Good for the all the farmers in my state, but bad for people wanting to eat. I have an E 85 Ranger. Used E 85 and got 12 mpg. Use regular gas and get 17 mpg. I live in the corn belt.