EVEN MORE Over Complication of this oh so simple job... Ughh

YesYouDidPushAButton

A couple things started coming out of their mouths in the past couple of weeks.
More over complication, causing more problems.

1: Your OCA "ETA" is the new "COMMIT TIME" When you enter an ETA for an OCA you MUST be there before that time, but within the 15 minute window.
Example, OCA, Time-9:50 Ready-10:00 Commit-19:00 ETA- 13:30 You MUST be there 13:15-13:30 NO EXCEPTIONS Have a bad load with missing pieces and misloads, now I'm behind schedule, I have to break off for these oncalls where I set the ETA. Huge waste of time. Problem. On roads say set your ETA for the Commit time in initial on call to avoid the issue. You've just lost the 20 minute ETA alert. I'm aware of my pickups but like all of you, have a crazy day. Now I find myself frequently driving by my OCA's because I dont get the reminder that I'm used to.
Any violation is grounds for a warning letter. Period.

2: Helpers as "Runners" a new report showed up pinned to the wall the other day. The system now detects patterns between the drivers board and the helper board. They want the helper using the Diad at every stop. It detects patterns where it knows the driver may be using the helper board and using the helper as a runner. This is unacceptable and the helper must use the board at every stop. I typically let my helper use the board and business buildings that I drop him at, than I use him as a runner and d/r his packages until we hit 50 than it gets thrown in the back. This will get you a talking to the next day. This is absolutely un-necessary complication. You want it done, stop making it harder.

3: I dont even have to start on how ridiculous *.99 hours for helper time is.

4: Helper board must have a stop every half hour even if helper isnt with you yet. Every 25-30 minutes you must remember to enter one stop into the helper board. Gaps of .50/hr or longer cause an issue in the system or so they say. Must remember to put stuff in their board, this is grounds for a warning letter if not followed.

I've got other gripes but it's bed time

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do what you need to do to get the route done as efficiently and safely as possible, and if they feel compelled to spew out meaningless warning letters then go ahead and let them. You have more important things to worry about, like making service on the packages.

brown bomber

brown bomber
as far as giving the helper a DIAD, to make multiple deliveries...this is a fail, in the past I turned my helper loose in a multi-story commercial complex, or on 1 floor of a large APT. complex....guess what, something went wrong.....most of the time it was misdeliveries, that I had to go back and correct.....common sense, for most of the helpers, is lacking....
I explained to my daughters years ago...ODD numbers are on one side of the road EVEN numbers on the other...and if you had the slightest area awareness, just by looking at the addresses..you would know in which direction you were heading.....however they both GPS systems, in both of their cars, along w/ their cellphones

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
taking new hire driver helpers making 10.50$/hr with zero training and expecting them to independently run stops without them all being misdeliveries and DNEDs is insanity

kingOFchester

The helper DIAD requirements set forth by the regime are probably some of the most ridiculous directives I have ever been given. The amount of time spent on these issues, from the drivers to the sups and even managers, has to be astronomical. Trying to get air's off, businesses off, OCA's picked up in windows, pickups completed on time, working the route so I do not end up at a school during closing times, trying to get truck cleared by the time my 2nd load is brought out to me, picking up helper, babysitting the helper, completing helper safety paper work and so on and so on...all the while trying to meet some arbitrary number of stops in each board in a specific time period, in an antiquated DIAD is absolutely insanity at best. Trying to juggle all that I have to juggle on top of these requirements is costing me valuable time and causing me to make mistakes that i would never make if I was allowed to use just my DIAD or if they trained the helper to use their DIAD.
\

S

serenity now

1: Your OCA "ETA" is the new "COMMIT TIME" When you enter an ETA for an OCA you MUST be there before that time, but within the 15 minute window.
Example, OCA, Time-9:50 Ready-10:00 Commit-19:00 ETA- 13:30 You MUST be there 13:15-13:30 NO EXCEPTIONS Have a bad load with missing pieces and misloads, now I'm behind schedule, I have to break off for these oncalls where I set the ETA. Huge waste of time. Problem. On roads say set your ETA for the Commit time in initial on call to avoid the issue. You've just lost the 20 minute ETA alert. I'm aware of my pickups but like all of you, have a crazy day. Now I find myself frequently driving by my OCA's because I dont get the reminder that I'm used to.

2: Helpers as "Runners" a new report showed up pinned to the wall the other day. The system now detects patterns between the drivers board and the helper board. They want the helper using the Diad at every stop. It detects patterns where it knows the driver may be using the helper board and using the helper as a runner. This is unacceptable and the helper must use the board at every stop. I typically let my helper use the board and business buildings that I drop him at, than I use him as a runner and d/r his packages until we hit 50 than it gets thrown in the back. This will get you a talking to the next day. This is absolutely un-necessary complication. You want it done, stop making it harder.

4: Helper board must have a stop every half hour even if helper isnt with you yet. Every 25-30 minutes you must remember to enter one stop into the helper board. Gaps of .50/hr or longer cause an issue in the system or so they say. Must remember to put stuff in their board, this is grounds for a warning letter if not followed.

as soon as i get a oca notice, i put a small post-it on top of the instrument panel box ( noting the time and place )
i also have a mon-fri alarm set on my phone for 15 min. prior to nda commit

UPSGUY72

This is a violation of company wide procedure a grievance first time they tried to give anyone a warning letter would fix the problem.

My helper doesn't touch the board. IF they want my helper to use the board it going to add up to more OT for me..

I keep my helper all day who the hell is going to keep coming back to work for a couple hrs a day when they only making $8.50 hr.

The first 30 stops of the day go into the helper board then it goes into the back of the car.

Your management team has untirely to much time on there hands to be coming up with stupid crap like that.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you're efficient with your helper, they will not bother you with that garbage. If you have your helper for 7 hours and you are still over 10, they will end up busting your balls and pulling up the report to show you the error of your ways.

I use the helper board occasionally during the day so by midafternoon I am pretty close to the 40 stop requirement. My helper is older than my dad and is not capable to figure it out. This is my second year in a row with him and he is still one hell of a driver helper ( plus a great person to talk with )

S

serenity now

If you're efficient with your helper, they will not bother you with that garbage. If you have your helper for 7 hours and you are still over 10, they will end up busting your balls and pulling up the report to show you the error of your ways.

I use the helper board occasionally during the day so by midafternoon I am pretty close to the 40 stop requirement. My helper is older than my dad and is not capable to figure it out. This is my second year in a row with him and he is still one hell of a driver helper ( plus a great person to talk with )

how old is your dad?

barnyard

KTM rider
You want to be a d***. Follow their rules to the T. Watch how fast they change their minds.

I was running an hour under with my helper and I get the 'talk' on helper using the board and all that. So I did. That day I was +.33. Supe asked what happened, I told them we followed his instructions and the wait time was because the helper board cannot scan very well and the "find bc" prompt also takes time.

"So, do you want me to do it my way and be an hour under or your way and scratch or come in over??"

gingerkat

If management wants us helpers to use the diads properly they would give us more than 20 minutes of training in orientation. Oh not to mention 20 minutes with 20 newbies saying "wait, what did he just say"? In the beginning I pressed one too many buttons and locked myself into no mans land and had to make that call of shame to my driver for help.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This company has always done ridiculous things like these. Why? Because someone yuck in a cubicle in Sandy Springs has to try earn his or her salary, in the most stupid way possible. Rules for the sake of rules almost always interferes with efficiency. But when a company as large as UPS creates committees and pays big money to consulting firms like McKinsey and Deloitte, they want some return on their money, even if the results make no sense and actually end up costing more money than the ideas are supposed to save.

This has been going on for many, many years at UPS. And truth be told, most huge multi-national corporations do the same damn thing. For all of the talk that CEO's ramble on about big government bureaucracy, corporations are no different than government.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Well, I am following the company's suggestion, and am doing alright. I leave my helper with 16-20 stops and my handcart and let him go. The first couple of days I get numerous calls on how to do something, but as the day-and week-progresses I get fewer of them. I also notice my dispatch times are trending better. And while the jury is still out with this year's helper, last year I got two DFUs from the helper afterward-and I did not do as much training with that helper as this one.

I don't know how a driver with a rural route can do this (dropping off a helper with stops), but for the rest of you what is the big deal?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Now you know my pain...yet another report. 45 minutes looking at reports..then I spend the rest of my time with my preload and dispatcher making sure we everything is going smoothly before driver start time. I save thousands of $ before drivers even hit the street (I manage from the operation not from behind my desk at this time of year).