Expecting an Olcc or letter this week

bbsam

Staff member
How about a class action age discrimination lawsuit?
Anything's possible, but discrimination lawsuits are notoriously hard to prove especially with so much paper trail supporting each circumstance. Can you prove younger couriers are committing the same offensrs and not being disciplined?

vantexan

Anything's possible, but discrimination lawsuits are notoriously hard to prove especially with so much paper trail supporting each circumstance. Can you prove younger couriers are committing the same offensrs and not being disciplined?

If there are mass firings and the vast majority are older, higher paid employees what does that say?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Maybe. But if Express is looking to keep fresh meat moving, that means the mass firings could include folks in their early thirties. Kind of hard to pin age discrimination.

Why do you think a mass firing would include people in their early thirties? Most if not all of them are nowhere near topped out.

bbsam

Staff member
Because they don't want career employees anyway and they will.be sensitive to even the appearance of age discrimination.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well if they do have a mass firing, then they can kiss their precious numbers right down the drain. Think they'll be able to achieve high productivity with a revolving door of help? I think not.

vantexan

Well if they do have a mass firing, then they can kiss their precious numbers right down the drain. Think they'll be able to achieve high productivity with a revolving door of help? I think not.

They're getting what they want anyways. Every year more and more senior couriers are retiring and they're replaced by cheaper employees who'll never be paid as much. They've had pay progression at a trickle for 5 years now so with increased pricing due to inflation they're able to more easily pay employees too. There might be more senior employees hanging on than they want but it's inevitable that they'll all be gone eventually. If FedEx started firing everyone with some seniority word would get around and who then would want to work for them? Even the clueless would leave when they hear that at best they're looking at 5 years before FedEx would try to fire them. What FedEx is doing in my opinion is creating an environment where employees don't want to stay forever, and the ones who do stay have no ambition or they're trying to get into management.

Because they don't want career employees anyway and they will.be sensitive to even the appearance of age discrimination.

I have only been with the company for 7 years. But what I see all the time from the people who been with the company for 20 plus years is what I call senioritis. I been with the company for so long so I don't have to do that. Back in the day we did this so I am not going to do this now. In my small station I see this all the time. I don't have to van scans, I don't have to respond to CSAs, I don't have to work the reload. Its all the same reason. I been with the company for a long time, so I don't have to do what I don't want. Then they get olccs, letters, and they wonder why.

CJinx

It might take a few weeks for a new hire to put out productive numbers, but they'll get there. You were a new hire at one point, right?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They're getting what they want anyways. Every year more and more senior couriers are retiring and they're replaced by cheaper employees who'll never be paid as much. They've had pay progression at a trickle for 5 years now so with increased pricing due to inflation they're able to more easily pay employees too. There might be more senior employees hanging on than they want but it's inevitable that they'll all be gone eventually. If FedEx started firing everyone with some seniority word would get around and who then would want to work for them? Even the clueless would leave when they hear that at best they're looking at 5 years before FedEx would try to fire them. What FedEx is doing in my opinion is creating an environment where employees don't want to stay forever, and the ones who do stay have no ambition or they're trying to get into management.

They're sort of getting what they want. While it's true that a lot of people are leaving, their replacements are not living up to expectations. I'm sure they love it when a 15 SPH senior courier quits, but when the new hire can only hit 8 SPH and will probably never get much better, how much are they really gaining? However, they are still expecting 15 SPH from the newbie, who will soon be progressively disciplined out the door.

I totally agree that they are creating a company where it's 3-5 years and then out the door...at least that seems to be the plan. But at my station, which is probably fairly representative of most, a very high percentage of the new hires quit within a few weeks. We have 3 who have stuck around for over a year, and I know 2 of them are actively looking for something else.

vantexan

They're sort of getting what they want. While it's true that a lot of people are leaving, their replacements are not living up to expectations. I'm sure they love it when a 15 SPH senior courier quits, but when the new hire can only hit 8 SPH and will probably never get much better, how much are they really gaining? However, they are still expecting 15 SPH from the newbie, who will soon be progressively disciplined out the door.

I totally agree that they are creating a company where it's 3-5 years and then out the door...at least that seems to be the plan. But at my station, which is probably fairly representative of most, a very high percentage of the new hires quit within a few weeks. We have 3 who have stuck around for over a year, and I know 2 of them are actively looking for something else.

If FedEx is luring them in with the usual lies it won't take long for their fellow employees to fill them in. With what it costs FedEx to get someone hired and trained you'd think a lightbulb would go off in Memphis that they'd retain newhires if they actually gave them something worth staying for.

hypo hanna

I have only been with the company for 7 years. But what I see all the time from the people who been with the company for 20 plus years is what I call senioritis. I been with the company for so long so I don't have to do that. Back in the day we did this so I am not going to do this now. In my small station I see this all the time. I don't have to van scans, I don't have to respond to CSAs, I don't have to work the reload. Its all the same reason. I been with the company for a long time, so I don't have to do what I don't want. Then they get olccs, letters, and they wonder why.
Not like my location at all. The senior drivers work as directed. But working as directed doesnt always produce the results the manager intended. This is usually where we see those olcc's.

bbsam

Staff member
Not like my location at all. The senior drivers work as directed. But working as directed doesnt always produce the results the manager intended. This is usually where we see those olcc's.
Again, you can WAD all you want but that won't negate an OLCC. So if you think you are "using their rules against them", fine. In the end, it won't change a thing.

MAKAVELI

Again, you can WAD all you want but that won't negate an OLCC. So if you think you are "using their rules against them", fine. In the end, it won't change a thing.
Since you seem to know everything, why don't you tell us how they can discipline us for working as directed? Are we to disregard rules, policies, and safety regulations to increase productivity? Maybe that's how you do it at ground but that shi t won't fly for a lot of us at Express.

bbsam

Staff member
Since you seem to know everything, why don't you tell us how they can discipline us for working as directed? Are we to disregard rules, policies, and safety regulations to increase productivity? Maybe that's how you do it at ground but that shi t won't fly for a lot of us at Express.
You're batting a big fat "0" with me lately. Answer me this. Fedex management wouldn't lie in an OLCC would they? They wouldn't leave out details that would exonerate the courier would they? Of course not. Fred is your friend and wants you to be happily part of the Fedex family for the next 30 years. Oh, and you will be getting your pension back next quarter.

hypo hanna

I never said the manager was successful adding paper to the drivers file, I said that's normally the point where they try. It's about deflecting blame. Remember at express, the operations manager is also under extreme pressure for unattainable results. He tries some desperate measure to hit the goals, the drivers work as directed. The plan fails and someone needs to be blamed.