Express volume finally moving to Ground...

HedleyLamarr

It’s 100% true that Express has delivered some Ground in select markets. Been happening since 2020 through peak last year. Express couriers go to the Ground facility and run routes from there as contracted help getting paid their Express hourly rate. That just makes sense to flex capacity and capability.
It makes me wonder how bad Ground has to be before they send Express drivers to help. There has been no mention of this happening in my area, yet Ground completely crashed and burned during peak. They did bring in contractors from Memphis and Atlanta though.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It’s 100% true that Express has delivered some Ground in select markets. Been happening since 2020 through peak last year. Express couriers go to the Ground facility and run routes from there as contracted help getting paid their Express hourly rate. That just makes sense to flex capacity and capability.
@Maui

Was it economically viable to utilize FedEx Express employees to deliver Ground freight?

AB831

FedEx Express is failing miserably in terms of service. Due to Covid and current worldwide logistical demands, Fred is still raking in the profits in spite of having a horribly mismanaged company. I still monitor this site and stay in contact with former co-workers, both management and labor. The company continues to fail "up" due to Fred's "gift" of the pandemic. If you'll recall, Express was on the ropes before Covid and a prime takeover target. There were lots of rumors about Amazon or even WalMart buying Express and adapting the operation to their needs. Covid changed the dynamic overnight and literally threw Smith a golden lifeline.

In typical fashion, he has exploited the opportunity to it's fullest, sticking steadfastly to his mantra of shortchanging employees in pursuit of profit for himself and the upper echelon. Overall, you've seen very little trickle down to frontline employees, and the Step Plan remains firmly in place. Wages and benefits have never kept pace at FedEx, and even in the current environment, that continues to be the case.

The revolving door makes it really difficult to organize Express, and Smith knows this. He still has his precious RLA and lots of compliant politicians willing to do his bidding. He doesn't need to pay "industry leading" (LOFL) wages because he knows most people stay a year or two. RTD's don't even stay that long. The end result is that many employees aren't "in the long game", and don't really care about making the company a career.

If you're stuck at FedEx for whatever reason, I urge you to explore unionization. It's really your only ticket to a better career, better wages and benefits, and an improved life. Smith has exposed himself by combining Ground and Express operations in a manner that would seem to imperil his precious RLA . It's pretty hard to claim your company is an "airline", when the vast majority of employees never see a plane nor have anything to do with "airline" operations. He has combined an RLA company(Express) with and NLRA company (Ground) and has essentially replicated UPS with the exception that his "last mile" drivers are Ground contract employees. Such a scam, and on so many levels.

FedEx has become a total joke in terms of it's ability to service the customer, and under the current circumstances, Smith can get away with it. But, Covid isn't going to last forever, and the conditions that exist now that favor Fred will eventually turn against him.

WAD, and don't do anything to fulfill The Purple Promise, which has become "When it Absolutely, Positively, has to be there sometime in the next month". customers aren't going to tolerate this forever, nor are employees, who are continuing to head for the exits.

Don't let Smith continue to screw you over.
You hit it out of the park. I left in November 2020, and it was the best move of my professional career. It took me four years to realize that Fat Freddy's "you'll make $30 an hour AND have top notch benefits" was nothing other than a complete lie.

AB831

I don’t think he really cares if this is considered a career job anymore. It hasn’t been for a while now and nothing has changed. Well except for a step plan they can’t even commit to on record years lol. This is a job that’s asks for loyalty without providing any. It’s a low paying job with bad hours. That’s just what it is.
Yet there are still scores of company men who defend the company that's screwing them. Stockholm Syndrome?

MAKAVELI

I believe you are requesting delivery in a time frame. Does it say anywhere your Express package will only be handled by Express employees?
Maybe for the average Joe who doesn't know any better but there are many shippers that specifically select Express service over ground even when ground is much cheaper and transit time is the same.

Pay for Express Service, get Ground Service. Bait and Switch. Suprised they haven't been hit with lawsuits.
I foresee class action lawsuits in our future for this situation. Can you imagine paying for a luxury model car and when they bring it out to you to drive off the lot they show up with the most basic budget car. And when you question them they say "what's the problem it gets you from point a to point b, so why do you care?". That's what we're doing with this program....smh

Maui

It makes me wonder how bad Ground has to be before they send Express drivers to help. There has been no mention of this happening in my area, yet Ground completely crashed and burned during peak. They did bring in contractors from Memphis and Atlanta though.
It got pretty bad at the locations I’m aware. Several trailers of freight backed up and not touched.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I foresee class action lawsuits in our future for this situation. Can you imagine paying for a luxury model car and when they bring it out to you to drive off the lot they show up with the most basic budget car. And when you question them they say "what's the problem it gets you from point a to point b, so why do you care?". That's what we're doing with this program....smh
If the delivery is made on time, you have no basis for anything.

Page 151, FedEx Service Guide: FedEx assumes no obligation to reroute any shipment to a third country, to carry the goods by any specified aircraft or over any particular route or to make connection at any point according to any schedules. You agree that FedEx may, without notice, substitute alternative carrier or aircraft, deviate from the route or routes, or cause the goods to be transported by motor vehicle.

HedleyLamarr

If the delivery is made on time, you have no basis for anything.

Page 151, FedEx Service Guide: FedEx assumes no obligation to reroute any shipment to a third country, to carry the goods by any specified aircraft or over any particular route or to make connection at any point according to any schedules. You agree that FedEx may, without notice, substitute alternative carrier or aircraft, deviate from the route or routes, or cause the goods to be transported by motor vehicle.
The key word is "IF".

fedx

Extra Large Package
FedEx Express is failing miserably in terms of service. Due to Covid and current worldwide logistical demands, Fred is still raking in the profits in spite of having a horribly mismanaged company. I still monitor this site and stay in contact with former co-workers, both management and labor. The company continues to fail "up" due to Fred's "gift" of the pandemic. If you'll recall, Express was on the ropes before Covid and a prime takeover target. There were lots of rumors about Amazon or even WalMart buying Express and adapting the operation to their needs. Covid changed the dynamic overnight and literally threw Smith a golden lifeline.

In typical fashion, he has exploited the opportunity to it's fullest, sticking steadfastly to his mantra of shortchanging employees in pursuit of profit for himself and the upper echelon. Overall, you've seen very little trickle down to frontline employees, and the Step Plan remains firmly in place. Wages and benefits have never kept pace at FedEx, and even in the current environment, that continues to be the case.

The revolving door makes it really difficult to organize Express, and Smith knows this. He still has his precious RLA and lots of compliant politicians willing to do his bidding. He doesn't need to pay "industry leading" (LOFL) wages because he knows most people stay a year or two. RTD's don't even stay that long. The end result is that many employees aren't "in the long game", and don't really care about making the company a career.

If you're stuck at FedEx for whatever reason, I urge you to explore unionization. It's really your only ticket to a better career, better wages and benefits, and an improved life. Smith has exposed himself by combining Ground and Express operations in a manner that would seem to imperil his precious RLA . It's pretty hard to claim your company is an "airline", when the vast majority of employees never see a plane nor have anything to do with "airline" operations. He has combined an RLA company(Express) with and NLRA company (Ground) and has essentially replicated UPS with the exception that his "last mile" drivers are Ground contract employees. Such a scam, and on so many levels.

FedEx has become a total joke in terms of it's ability to service the customer, and under the current circumstances, Smith can get away with it. But, Covid isn't going to last forever, and the conditions that exist now that favor Fred will eventually turn against him.

WAD, and don't do anything to fulfill The Purple Promise, which has become "When it Absolutely, Positively, has to be there sometime in the next month". customers aren't going to tolerate this forever, nor are employees, who are continuing to head for the exits.

Don't let Smith continue to screw you over.

You say Smith doesn't have to pay industry leading wages because he knows most people only stay a year or two, but people only stay a year or two because of the low wages. It's a catch 22. He's cutting his own throat losing workers over low pay. If he paid more, he'd have loyal employees instead of employees being a revolving door at Express. The only way out of this rut we're in is to unionize. Some companies don't need a union (because they are good places to work), but FedEx isn't one of them. Look how successful UPS is and they're union. If we did unionize, you'd see a lot happier employees and employees who are more loyal, because they'd be making a lot more money and they'd have career jobs. So let's keep encouraging Fred to merge Express and Ground stations, because eventually the company is going to be considered as one company and not two separate companies. Last mile optimization along with sharing facilities is going to get rid of Fred's RLA protection at some point.