Express volume finally moving to Ground...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Pay for Express Service, get Ground Service. Bait and Switch. Suprised they haven't been hit with lawsuits.
Great point. Given the exceedingly poor service levels customers receive, this might be actionable. My wife recently ordered something vital P1, and it took 4 business days. This is the "New Normal", and if it's someone's meds, a passport, or financial documents it could really be a big problem. Fred doesn't care, because once the package is in the system, he has his revenue.

Another huge fail has been FedEx Office. Where I live, they frequently close unexpectedly, and/or modify their hours significantly without updating the website. Maybe you designated your "vital" package to be held at FXO, and they don't even open that day.

At UPS, they seem to be upping their game, offering improved tracking and delivery notification.
MF said it was supposed to be announced in September of 2012 and had been claiming since 2009 that it was coming any minute now.

It was never much of a consideration until the explosion of ecommerce and it wasn't a serious consideration until later in 2019. It was announced in February of 2020.

He "knew what he was talking about" like my buddy does on our Vegas trips and he's at a dice table yelling "Here comes snake eyes" every roll for an hour and then it's rolled.
Are you now a moderator?? One of the reasons I don't get on here to counter your BS is that I am screened out constantly. Hmmm. Troll at the controls?

Star B

White Lightening
It makes me wonder how bad Ground has to be before they send Express drivers to help. There has been no mention of this happening in my area, yet Ground completely crashed and burned during peak. They did bring in contractors from Memphis and Atlanta though.
When we had the bodies, a few ex-groundies were shipped back to Ground in their express trucks for a few weeks a year or two ago.

floridays

If the delivery is made on time, you have no basis for anything.

Page 151, FedEx Service Guide: FedEx assumes no obligation to reroute any shipment to a third country, to carry the goods by any specified aircraft or over any particular route or to make connection at any point according to any schedules. You agree that FedEx may, without notice, substitute alternative carrier or aircraft, deviate from the route or routes, or cause the goods to be transported by motor vehicle.
All well and good, maybe the RLA rules for organizing are antiquated. Local organizing efforts obviously do not endanger the company and the express (pun intended) reason this benefit was granted.

FedEx is obviously not connected by one "railine" anymore, motorcarriers no longer put the air "foundation" at peril.

That seems to be the message.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
...oblivious to everything and incapable of having a normal discussion.
Sorry, but even "normal" conversations are screened out, and you are definitely afraid of me. It's your job to patrol social media, and I threaten the disinformation machine. To floriday's point: The RLA dates from 1934, when air express didn't even exist. It is labor law designed for a time when railroads were the primary mode of transportation and "express" services were via the Railway Express Agency, dead for about 30 years. So, yes, it's outdated, and doesn't apply to today's commerce. The RLA is really Fred's magic shield because even though you might get strong union support in Blue states and urban areas, Red states with their RTW laws will kill the effort. With the RLA it's all or nothing. You can't have a union terminal in LA and a non-union one somewhere else.

Fred & Friends (read Congress) absolutely know this and FedEx will funnel millions into preserving the RLA through compliant politicians on both sides of the political aisle. And sorry, Republicans, but killing organized labor is part and parcel of the GOP platform.

FedEx "Express" is now a hybrid operation, as is Ground. That puts the entire equation into question because Fred cannot claim that FedEx is an "airline" when the air component isn't the primary sector of the company, which is now overwhelmingly TRUCKS and even rail. Look how many Ground trailers (which might have Express inside) run on hot intermodal trains. The vast majority of FedEx ops have zero to do with aircraft, and Fred can continue to use airport identifiers all he wants for remote locations where the airport may have even been torn-up 20 years ago. It's all BS.

Questions Needed Answered

You say Smith doesn't have to pay industry leading wages because he knows most people only stay a year or two, but people only stay a year or two because of the low wages. It's a catch 22. He's cutting his own throat losing workers over low pay. If he paid more, he'd have loyal employees instead of employees being a revolving door at Express. The only way out of this rut we're in is to unionize. Some companies don't need a union (because they are good places to work), but FedEx isn't one of them. Look how successful UPS is and they're union. If we did unionize, you'd see a lot happier employees and employees who are more loyal, because they'd be making a lot more money and they'd have career jobs. So let's keep encouraging Fred to merge Express and Ground stations, because eventually the company is going to be considered as one company and not two separate companies. Last mile optimization along with sharing facilities is going to get rid of Fred's RLA protection at some point.
You say Smith doesn't have to pay industry leading wages because he knows most people only stay a year or two, but people only stay a year or two because of the low wages. It's a catch 22. He's cutting his own throat losing workers over low pay. If he paid more, he'd have loyal employees instead of employees being a revolving door at Express.
Doubtful. As I asked in a previous thread "when does burnout happen? 3 years? 5 years? Better to keep hiring fresh 21 year olds than listen to the veteran 25 year olds complain about how good things used to be."

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sorry, but even "normal" conversations are screened out, and you are definitely afraid of me. It's your job to patrol social media, and I threaten the disinformation machine.
That's our MF, still full of "I AM A FORCE TO BE DEALT WITH" long after it's obvious he's just some guy.

FedEx "Express" is now a hybrid operation, as is Ground. That puts the entire equation into question because Fred cannot claim that FedEx is an "airline" when the air component isn't the primary sector of the company, which is now overwhelmingly TRUCKS and even rail. Look how many Ground trailers (which might have Express inside) run on hot intermodal trains. The vast majority of FedEx ops have zero to do with aircraft, and Fred can continue to use airport identifiers all he wants for remote locations where the airport may have even been torn-up 20 years ago. It's all BS.
Oh, stop with the straw man arguments. The number of trucks owned and operated by Express is irrelevant.

Keep trying.