-FAIL - Florida Gov. Rick Scott drug testing welfare applicants -FAIL-

P

pickup

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/qu...983-product?V=G&ext=frgl_Google_Personal_Care
not 30 bucks. Not many have been tested. The first ones who volunteered, were the ones in need of benefits. Lets see how it goes as we get past the first wave..................

Hmm, Yesterday, i did some searching and from what I can determine, the piss test may not be the only test that is used by Florida. There seemed to be some indications that the hair analysis test would be used sometimes as well(maybe both). Hair would tell the tale for the last few months but not for the last few days of what someone has been up to. The Hair test is more expensive but from from what I read, it is not always used. That is why 30 dollars is offered as the AVERAGE cost of the test. Anyway, neither here or there, but the cost of the test is now variable when making these calculations.

It was bad reporting or bad wording. 3 days ago I posted this link in the Welfare thread to a Tampa Bay Online story about this same drug testing program for cash assistance welfare. Here is how they worded the meat and potatoes part.

I think this story worded it better so you could understand that the entire cash assistance program costed $178 mil and then what the drug testing savings would be. Having read this previous story and then read the piece Sleeve linked too, I understood the gist but I can see where it would be easy to confuse it as well, especially being half asleep.
:wink2:

:happy-very:

Yes, at some point I came to the conclusion that the $178 million was the total cost of the cash assistance program. Thanks for the link. It helped to clarify that point.

As for whether or not this program is right in terms of should people be tested or not . I will not address that point.

I will just say that a 2% percent failure rate is probably not indicative of the total failure rate. It mentions that another 2% failed to complete the application process. I would say in that group, there must be some who upon looking at the application, saw the mention of a drug test and decided to not fork over 30 dollars to show what they already know: that they would fail.

And then there has to be another group that knows before hand that a drug test is required and they know that they have no way of passing, so they don't even bother to start the application process as well.

In other words, I think the program might be more "successful" than these articles are suggesting. That is ,success being measured in terms of preventing a drug addict getting his hands on the cash from this program.

klein

Für Meno :)
"....................I really don't believe a Nation should consist out of a few very rich people, then the rich, and the poor.
I don't believe in the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.
For me that's a huge step backwards and like the old monarchies in middle age Europe or even the time before the industrial revolution........." (Klein)

And that's why no one has any ambition or incentive to do any better than just so-so in Canada. Sounds pretty boring to me. I guess, 'believe and you can achieve' is just some words in a book where you live, eh, Dull Dudley?

Why don't you look at the facts ???
Canada has a trade surplus (we manufacture and sell more goods then we need) ! Has been like that for the past 20+ years or so (with exception of the recession years of 1991 and 2008/2009).

Now look at the US Trade balance sheet : Not 1 single trade surplus in the past 20 years or so !
You import more then you manufacture or sell to other countries !
Who is the slacker now ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why don't you look at the facts ???
Canada has a trade surplus (we manufacture and sell more goods then we need) ! Has been like that for the past 20+ years or so (with exception of the recession years of 1991 and 2008/2009).

Now look at the US Trade balance sheet : Not 1 single trade surplus in the past 20 years or so !
You import more then you manufacture or sell to other countries !
Who is the slacker now ?

Keep searching....you need something to fill time!!

klein

Keep searching....you need something to fill time!!

Or just come take a visit to Canada - our infrastructure alone is much superior then that of the US. We do pay higher taxes, but it's well worth living in a nicer society and updated communities.

It's sort of like the price to pay for living in newer and updated neighborhoods in the US (so you can understand what I mean).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Or just come take a visit to Canada - our infrastructure alone is much superior then that of the US. We do pay higher taxes, but it's well worth living in a nicer society and updated communities.

It's sort of like the price to pay for living in newer and updated neighborhoods in the US (so you can understand what I mean).

Again with the "understand". I happen to live in paradise. Think of me when it's -20 there with 3 feet of snow !! Bazinga!

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Or just come take a visit to Canada - our infrastructure alone is much superior then that of the US.

Ive been to Canada many times and what i saw did not make me want to stay there. Your infrastructure was not any better than ours but since you made the statement "Much Superior then that of the US"...please show us some facts that its better than ours? Or its the same old Klein bashing America when your just jealous.

klein

Great, article from 2008 !
Things have changed now - new electricity supply lines, new water and sewage since then - even new rail tracks and roads.

Come back to Edmonton, you won't soon reconignize it !
New downtown Arena comming, new downtown large Royal Museum on it's way.
Brand new ring road around the city, and many new overpass bridges.

This whole city is 1 large construction zone currently !

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Edmonton sucked and i hope i never have to go back to that city again. But thats just my opinion as others might think its nice.

Oh and your roads need some serious work...more potholes and gravel traps than Detroit.

Hmmmmm:

Addressing Canada's Infrastructure Deficit

http://geospatial.blogs.com/geospatial/2011/06/addressing-canadas-infrastructure-deficit.html

I see that Moreluck posted some links of your infrastructure problems also...i guess your shiat stinks too.

Lue C Fur

Evil member

klein

Our new upcomming downtown arena : http://www.revitalizedowntown.ca/

Our new downtown Museum in the works :

979_14637_web_8column.jpg

klein

Nope, i guess you did not. So sad. :dissapointed:

You know, Lucy, I won't argue with you. If you think America is richer then us, and your proud that not every American gets healthcare, and proud that people living on welfare for a $134 monthly check need to undergo drug testing first to receive it. - Then so be it !

You must be also proud that you as a Nation has more debt then us, a lower credit rating, and a never ending trade deficit.
You must also be proud that states and towns/cities have so much debt, that they need to lay off police, firemen, teachers, and more.

And the looks of it, things won't get better, unless the American people are ready to step up, and pay a bit more on taxes to get the country back on track, SS secured, as well as medicare.
Problem is, I think the American people might actually agree on that - but your politicians concentrate more on a re-election, then on the country as a whole.

And that's sad !

Give me one single reason why Americans pay the lowest taxes in 50+ years !
I can't figure that one out myself !

But, you might as well enjoy it, while it lasts ! (just hope you don't have any children that will make up the shortfall in years to come) !

brett636

Brett,
Three times now, we aren't doing too well, are we?
You are not showing any cost savings at all. It is fully understood that the cost of the ENTIRE PROGRAM is 178 mil.

Again, the savings from 2% of failures (anticipated) was only ~45-~95k FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. Off of 178 million.

And again, any type of legal action or extra costs(which are sure to arise) will likely completely offset those savings and probably cost taxpayers more.

I'm asking again; for anyone; where are the savings?

Notice no one is biting, Brett....:happy-very: Because it's a bunk program by bunk politician. The monetary value is going to be NIL....the only boost is big brother watching a little more closely..

You've already highlighted the savings. Even if the amount is rather small it is still something, and I have already pointed out how future government assistance applications will include fewer current drug users because they simply don't want to be found out.

OK Brett, full disclosure before we move forward with our plan. Let's go back to my original quote and I'll highlight a very important word that more people over look but it has very important repercussions.

Definition of person: 1) a human being. 2) a corporation treated as having the rights and obligations of a person.

In fact Brett, I'm using the same definition of person the IRS uses in Title 26, Subtitle friend, Chapter 79, Section 7701.

That's right Brett, corporations under the law are persons too. This is also the standing in which SCOTUS stood to also say that corporations are persons in the same manner as a human being and has the same rights. It's only a matter of time IMO that the law will understand that a corporation has the right to vote and some mechanism will be created to achieve that end. Also when you look at welfare, as much as you want to wipe up on the lower class welfare, it's the upper class welfare that is of the far more costly and much of that kind of welfare is use to subvert and suppress the free market and it's competition. If market suppression was not a factor, the pressures on the lower class that exist on market creativity would not be there and thus the wide spread lack of capital (there would be no monopoly on capital) would be far greater if at all and people's ideas and labor could easily lift them out of poverty. The justification of the hue and cry for lower class public welfare would begin to vanish like a fart in the wind!

Maybe some of this might be food for thought.

34 Pieces of Evidence That Prove That the Middle Class in America Is Rapidly Shrinking

And for the record I stand behind the comments above completely because I want to scrape any and all forms of welfare, subsidy, tax credits, income credits or any other form of gov't benefits any of us receive beyond what our own person taxes don;t pay for. So what I'm suggesting may very likely effect every man, woman and child in this country so before you jump and agree, make sure you understand that we may all be taking that drug test, none of us might be voting or enjoying those cherished privileges of citizenship.

I would be the first to tell you that the government has no business supporting any business or corporation soley to keep them in business. I despise corporate welfare in all its forms, and lets be honest about it, the only reason we have so much corporate welfare is due to the politicians betting that some of that money goes full circle and ends up in their own re-election campaign funds. Its the same reasoning behind democrats fighting so hard for public sector unions in states like Wisconsin. Its not because they give a damn about the workers, its because they don't want to lose a cash cow for their own campaigns. I'm curious how you propose drug testing a corporation, or who within that corporation should be tested. The government should focus more on the rights of its people and less on its own power and prestige.

That is really sad...ummm lets see...what is more important...Smoke weed or make more money and advance myself...hmmm, i will choose weed. Sad.

Yes it is sad, and I know of more than a few who have signed up for feeders in the last year and turned it down once they were reminded of the mandatory drug testing. Although its really in their own best interests that these people don't make it into feeders because the stuff they get away with in the hub would not fly in feeders like taking days, weeks, months, off at a time(yes, I said months) due to their own inability to recognize what is really important in their life.

I don't condone drug use, but I also don't condone making life decisions based upon money. You are acting as though everyone who turns down a job that involves drug testing, turn it down because they would fail the drug test. That is not the truth, but it sure sounds good when you make a generic and dumbed down argument.

These people I referred to signed up, and either got everything ready to go in or was in the process of doing so until they were reminded of the drug test. Yes, the drug testing was the sole and only reason they turned down an opportunity to go into the feeder department, and I'm certain the same will hold true for any drug user who wants to sign up for government assistance, but doesn't want to be tested.