dezguy

They were 2 different examples. LOL. Sorry my explanation went right over your head. Never mind.
If SOS company gets crazy when their cheques get delivered at 1455, what is their expected delivery time? Are they not getting them delivered PO or are they E2, in which case FedEx would be well within their set commitment. Your argument makes it sound like they are a PO del and in that case, why would it be getting delivered 4 1/2 hours late?

Your explanation didn't go over my head, I'm just shooting holes though a weak argument.

Oldfart

If SOS company gets crazy when their cheques get delivered at 1455, what is their expected delivery time? Are they not getting them delivered PO or are they E2, in which case FedEx would be well within their set commitment. Your argument makes it sound like they are a PO del and in that case, why would it be getting delivered 4 1/2 hours late?

Your explanation didn't go over my head, I'm just shooting holes though a weak argument.
No. Believe me, it went right over your head. It was TWO different examples. The SOS was del at 1455 with a 1500 commit, on time, but the employees still freak because they normally get delivered by 1300. People get funny when their paycheck is involved. The XYZ del was P1 and on time.

dezguy

The resi person is usually just glad to get the new remote, even if it was delivered at 1040. The employees at XYZ are not as forgiving if their paycheck is late, even by 10 minutes.

I see employees get crazy when their SOS paychecks get delivered at 1455. They know when we are USUALLY there and when we alter our times with their checks, they get nervous.

Hmmm... Where did you say the commitment was 1500? I'm having trouble seeing it. Perhaps you could quote where you stated that.

Either way, I stand by the fact that people aren't going to freak out if they get their pay cheques 10 minutes late. Most people wouldn't even realize their cheques are 10 minutes late. In the second case, you're talking about 2 hours but FedEx is still within commitment time, so I really don't see the problem. If they want their cheques by 1300, maybe PO would be a better service for them, in which case, they should fully expect their delivery be on time, just as a residential customer should.

Oldfart

Yep Decade program. Got to eat steak with Fred and Barksdale at some place near the hub in Memphis. I don't remember the 3 days but it was a long time ago.
Now that I think about it, I believe it was Bass and not Barksdale. Too long ago.

Star B

White Lightening
That is where common sense comes into the equation. If I have 2 deliveries left and only 1 will be on time and they are side by side. 1 is a Directv remote control going to a resi and the other is payroll that I know XYZ Manufacturing gets every week, I am gonna del the payroll and worry about the Directv delivery after 1030.

By the way, common sense is a HUGE part of being a courier. A good courier has to use common sense every day and on many different transactions.

I've been told to not use common sense and follow ROADS to the letter... unless its peak then all the rules go out the window.

Oldfart

Bass has been dead for quite awhile. Are you sure you're on this planet?
As usual, you have no clue about what you are talking about. Bass was indeed alive and well in the early 80's. Before he went to Midway and Emery. You are one dumb asz miserable person. Keep up if you can. He was in the group with Willmont and Manske. I am sure you hated them as well, you have everyone else that has succeeded while you are just a dumb ole truck driver. With TWO degrees no less. Looks like you are a big underachiever.

Like I said, it was over 30 years ago. It was after Zapmail so it might have been Barksdale. At my age I am lucky if I can remember where the bathroom is.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

... a company which has received countless "Best Places To Work For _____" awards

Yes but they only take the surveys for these "awards" right outside the pilots lounge... I showed up too early for work today, and saw two of our golden boys being whisked away in a limo...

outtatime

They were 2 different examples. LOL. Sorry my explanation went right over your head. Never mind.
I don't think he knows what SOS is, thinks it's a company name. Probably wouldn't matter anyway. Like it's our fault everybody lives check to check every week and panics until they arrive.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I say screw 'em if their dumb paychecks are two hours late, four hours late or six days late. Everybody by now otta have direct deposit! Who's got time to waste waiting in line at the bank every Friday? :devil2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As usual, you have no clue about what you are talking about. Bass was indeed alive and well in the early 80's. Before he went to Midway and Emery. You are one dumb asz miserable person. Keep up if you can. He was in the group with Willmont and Manske. I am sure you hated them as well, you have everyone else that has succeeded while you are just a dumb ole truck driver. With TWO degrees no less. Looks like you are a big underachiever.

Like I said, it was over 30 years ago. It was after Zapmail so it might have been Barksdale. At my age I am lucky if I can remember where the bathroom is.

Uh...the 80's was 30 years ago, pal. I remember Barksdale as a very decent guy, and when he left, things went downhill fast. The early upper management team was very progressive, and I guess Fred must have had other ideas, because they all either moved-on or cashed-out and retired.

The last decent upper management person was Ken May, whom I knew personally and respected greatly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can't imagine one of the world's largest airlines not having corporate jets. In today's world, executive jets are a necessity. I am sure our jets are a great time saver for people that don't need to be sitting at an airport for hours waiting on their next leg. UPS might fly commercial, I have no idea. To me, that is almost irresponsible and not good use of executives time. Besides, flying anywhere from Atlanta is 100 times easier than flying out of Memphis. The last time I flew thru Memphis, their airport was a ghost town and since Northwest left and Delta took over, I heard direct flights were a thing of the past. I am not sure of what all airlines serves that airport now. Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world and you can fly direct to most any city in the country and most likely any major country in the world.

Our jets are the official airline of Congress. I am not kidding.

Oldfart

Uh...the 80's was 30 years ago, pal. I remember Barksdale as a very decent guy, and when he left, things went downhill fast. The early upper management team was very progressive, and I guess Fred must have had other ideas, because they all either moved-on or cashed-out and retired.

The last decent upper management person was Ken May, whom I knew personally and respected greatly.
Jim Barksdale was a visionary. Unfortunately his vision of Zapmail almost put us under. He did great things at McCaw Cellular and Netscape. He DID put them under. Not too many leaders have the opportunity to close 2 different companies after nearly doing it to 1 before that.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Jim Barksdale was a visionary. Unfortunately his vision of Zapmail almost put us under. He did great things at McCaw Cellular and Netscape. He DID put them under. Not too many leaders have the opportunity to close 2 different companies after nearly doing it to 1 before that.
Barksdale may have been the visionary but it still needed Fred's approval. All Fred needed to do was a little bit of research which would have told him that home and office fax machines were right around the corner, but Memphis sized egos have no need for that. When Zapmail bombed, then Fred decided take the 720 million dollar loss out on the workforce.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

McCaw was bought-out, and I don't know about Netscape. I agree with Cactus that almost everything at FedEx has the taint of Smith on it, especially ZapMail. Hotel Pak was someone else's idea, a VP whom I no longer remember, but he was shown the door rapidly thereafter.

Ken May was what this company needed, and they showed him the door after handing him a steaming pile of FedEx Office.

I just remembered the name of the VP who invented Hotel Pak...Carl Perkins.

Last edited:

Oldfart

McCaw was bought-out, and I don't know about Netscape. I agree with Cactus that almost everything at FedEx has the taint of Smith on it, especially ZapMail. Hotel Pak was someone else's idea, a VP whom I no longer remember, but he was shown the door rapidly thereafter.

Ken May was what this company needed, and they showed him the door after handing him a steaming pile of FedEx Office.

I just remembered the name of the VP who invented Hotel Pak...Carl Perkins.
Carl could play a mean guitar too.