Feeder Q-List Question - Being On-Call

stray

i'd like to get the input of some drivers from other areas regarding being on-call. at my hub, i've been on the qualified list for nearly 10 yrs. there were a couple of times that i was able to pick up vacated bids for a month or two, but mostly just week-to-week coverage of vacations and drivers off on disability or comp and a lot of weeks on-call. when on-call, we are required to answer WHENEVER they call, or return the call within 15 minutes or face disciplinary action (warning letters>suspensions) and be bumped to the bottom of the qualified list for that day. there are times that they will call 5 hrs into your 10 hrs off, and there are times that they will call 23 hrs after you've been available. when you answer, you must take a job. they are supposed to offer all of the work known to them at that time, but rarely do. most often it's "get here as soon as you can". i'm told that other hubs offer their on-call drivers the opportunity to "pass" a limited number of times and get called back later. also was told some other hubs do not even have feeder drivers on-call, they are assigned a start time for the week, and jockey in the yard until something on-road becomes available. just curious to get the opinions of members here on how this is handled in their hubs. thanks!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
If you are on call you are considered layed off. So when i am on call there is no expectation that I have to answer the phone. They usually don't give you a choice on what you want to do or when to start. They basically call an hour before they want you to start. If I decline work they still call back later if I am next to work. I dont move to the bottom of the list.

silenze

When they call they explain what the run does. If its shifting i tell them i prefer not to shift. They usually offer me another run

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Many years ago we had a casual feeder driver who said "no" when they called him in to work. He wasn't fired---they just never called him after that. He quit shortly thereafter.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
i'd like to get the input of some drivers from other areas regarding being on-call. at my hub, i've been on the qualified list for nearly 10 yrs. there were a couple of times that i was able to pick up vacated bids for a month or two, but mostly just week-to-week coverage of vacations and drivers off on disability or comp and a lot of weeks on-call. when on-call, we are required to answer WHENEVER they call, or return the call within 15 minutes or face disciplinary action (warning letters>suspensions) and be bumped to the bottom of the qualified list for that day. there are times that they will call 5 hrs into your 10 hrs off, and there are times that they will call 23 hrs after you've been available. when you answer, you must take a job. they are supposed to offer all of the work known to them at that time, but rarely do. most often it's "get here as soon as you can". i'm told that other hubs offer their on-call drivers the opportunity to "pass" a limited number of times and get called back later. also was told some other hubs do not even have feeder drivers on-call, they are assigned a start time for the week, and jockey in the yard until something on-road becomes available. just curious to get the opinions of members here on how this is handled in their hubs. thanks!
Check your supplement. Around here they are supposed to call you thursday of the week prior and tell you your options, if you have enough drivers under you on the q list you can elect to pass the work and be on call for the week (guys generally do this when they want some days off) but then you're basically going to be covering call outs so it might not work out the way you like.

stray

If you are on call you are considered layed off. So when i am on call there is no expectation that I have to answer the phone. They usually don't give you a choice on what you want to do or when to start. They basically call an hour before they want you to start. If I decline work they still call back later if I am next to work. I dont move to the bottom of the list.

as far as i know, we aren't considered laid-off in my building. the union is actually supportive of the latest warning letter, but that's a whole different issue. as i mentioned earlier, depending on the dispatcher (and your relationship with them) you may or may not be offered all of the work available - which is only one job many times. if we decline work there can be disciplinary action, but you can take a sick day as a last resort.

stray

Check your supplement. Around here they are supposed to call you thursday of the week prior and tell you your options, if you have enough drivers under you on the q list you can elect to pass the work and be on call for the week (guys generally do this when they want some days off) but then you're basically going to be covering call outs so it might not work out the way you like.

yes, we bid weekly on the available runs, and that list is posted wed night by midnight (usually). those not getting a weekly coverage run are on-call. it's the on-call procedures that i'd like to get more info on.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Here we get called, in seniority order and told of all jobs open at the time of the call. You can pick whatever you want of the available jobs, or pass on any and all of them. They say you HAVE to answer the phone, but if you sleep through it and call them later they're ok with it, as long as they have enough bodies to cover the job. Although I have not called back once or twice and they've never said anything.

Atlantic supplement

stray

Check your supplement.

great advice! i found language in the Western PA Supplement (Article 54 - Paid For Time, Section 1 - General) that states "All employees shall have a reporting time for duty which shall be designated at the end of the preceding work day." now, to convince my local to get behind that language...

bill blutnach

if you eat off die floor you must eat when you can. If you eat off the table den you can pass food to those who eat on die floor. Gut ja?

Pickles

When the weather was real bad I took my chances and never called back. That only happened a couple times. Almost always I answered and they told me where I needed to go. If there was someone lower than me available I could pass it on. If not, forced to go. Never heard of a warning letter for not answering though. Also, never heard of anyone abusing that too much either.

Pickles

Also a couple times they called on a Sunday evening. Told them I was drunk. Which I was. Not much they could do about that.

anonymousupsman

I work in the Northwest. I am an on-call feeder driver, so I live by the phone. But with that being said, UPS does not pay my phone bill nor do they pay me to be on call. You are not required to answer your phone if you do you not want to work. And less it's just my Teamsters conference, there is no disciplinary actions that can be taken against anybody who does not answer the phone. UPS has been trying to get that on the bargaining table for years but the Teamsters won't give that up and less they pay workers to be on call. I sometimes only work three days a week because I choose to.
Also, if they call you for a run, you can pass on it if you do not want to do it as long as you are not The bottom guy in seniority who is being called to work. If there is anybody with lower seniority available to work, they will be called next for that run.

BossHaus

I am a feeder driver on the Atlantic Supplement. My route got cut 6 months after I came to feeders, so basically I've been on super q for going on 2 years now. My weekly options if there are no vacations to cover are:
Work hub sorts
Work package
Layoff
"Hold for work" (Super Q)

I've been searching for some info about being on call. When I came to feeders I was forced to sign a sheet that said basically if I don't answer the phone then "I'm in big trouble mister!" Although, I'm sure that's not contractual. Just another sign this or else type of thing. I hear some of the older guys say "just don't answer the phone." There used to be 4 on call jobs (6 hours by the phone then close to the end you go get your hours on the yard). Then the boss man cut the on call jobs to 2. Then guess what, he cut them all. So now holding for work means that you (a) waive your right to 40 hrs (b) sit by the phone from Sunday night, to Friday night WITHOUT GETTING PAID and you better put yourself in an induced coma so you can be ready when they call you.
We can pass work, but now they are saying to super q people only.
My underlying question after all of this jibber jabber is...
Can you be fired or disciplined for not answering?
What are the loopholes? (Eg. I'm drunk/not rested)
What does the contract say about this?

We have some bad weather coming and I want all the info I can get. Thanks!

silenze

Your local and regional layoff language applies.
In my local being on call means your laid-off. So you have no obligation to answer the phone.
I am currently on call. I declined work 2 days this week.
Also i can decline a run and wait for another to open up at a later start time and they will keep calling according to seniority.

Last edited:

stray

I am a feeder driver on the Atlantic Supplement. My route got cut 6 months after I came to feeders, so basically
My underlying question after all of this jibber jabber is...
Can you be fired or disciplined for not answering?
What are the loopholes? (Eg. I'm drunk/not rested)
What does the contract say about this?

We have some bad weather coming and I want all the info I can get. Thanks!

we've had no terminations for not answering, but one driver accepted a suspension for not answering his phone multiple times after being warned. this was against the advice of the steward present, but the driver wanted the time off...

the one loophole that will always be there is SAFETY. i would opt for "not rested" as opposed to "drunk".

as mentioned above, i would look at your local supplement for layoff or on-call language that may apply. also, if they have permitted drivers to not answer or pass before, "past practice" would apply.

Butters243

I have been an on-call coverage feeder driver for 10 years. When dispatch calls you, there isn't a choice of job or declining work available. Contract states if contact isn't made, dispatch must have a steward or union employee verify that they cannot get a hold of you and then call the next guy. If another job needs covering dispatch must start the process over again and call by seniority. Drivers that don't answer have been verbally warned but never a writeup that I know of.

I currently have the last bid job in my building. If my job is cut or I get bumped, past practice has me returning to the on-call board instead of being able to bump a junior driver in another building within my local. Contract says I must have a " 5 day layoff " before I can bump. Does the word " layoff " mean missing 5 days or back on coverage for 5 days?

I sympathize being on-call , hang in there ! Thanks for any replies to my question.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Layoff can suck certain times of the year financially, but it is awesome for family time. I had 6 days off over the 4th (my choice) and still got my holiday pay.

If I don't work or want to work, the time card viewer says scheduled off.