Feeder Safety Rides

CNL

What’s type of system is used by UPS to determine who is due a safety ride in feeders? There are some feeder drivers that haven’t had a safety ride in 5 or more years and some drivers are told they are due a ride by mgt based on a quarterly system.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What’s type of system is used by UPS to determine who is due a safety ride in feeders? There are some feeder drivers that haven’t had a safety ride in 5 or more years and some drivers are told they are due a ride by mgt based on a quarterly system.

It’s not who ya know
It’s who ya blow

govols019

You smell that?
It's their trucks...they can ride when they want too...they don't like riding with me because I never shut up.

Damn, now that I think about it I haven't had a safety ride since late 2018.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
In my experience, they usually pick the local guys to ride along with because they don’t like being in the tractor all day. One or two trips to the rail yard and they’re done with you versus being in the tractor for 9 hours.

qdg2

Here, they had decided Circle of Honor didn't have to....

But no, then......ride 30 minute towards your T/A and have the ORS picked up by another ORS at some convenient stop.

I can't remember being ridden with for 12 hours.....maybe 1 hour-ever.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In my experience, they usually pick the local guys to ride along with because they don’t like being in the tractor all day. One or two trips to the rail yard and they’re done with you versus being in the tractor for 9 hours.
That's the way they get them done here when there's actually not near enough on roads to give a ride to even a fraction of us.

Add a leg to the rail onto the end of your run and knock it out in an hour or so.

rod

Retired 22 years
A feeder driver friend of mine seemed to be the one chosen all the time for a random drug test. You would think they believed he had a problem but just the opposite was true. He was one who never drank or did drugs so they would pick him to save their asses a bunch of paper work.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a fellow driver in feeders who had a random drug test 5 months in a row. (I think I only had 2 or 3 in 30 years) It took him a minimum of 5 hours before he could pee each time. He said he thought they would have learned by now. lol.

Johney

A feeder driver friend of mine seemed to be the one chosen all the time for a random drug test. You would think they believed he had a problem but just the opposite was true. He was one who never drank or did drugs so they would pick him to save their asses a bunch of paper work.
The two guys who had early start times were always random here. Got so obvious even the guy who came to do the testing would say"you again"?

raceanoncr

When first going into Feeders, the policy was quarterly. Well, that didn't work, so they said if you didn't have any infractions (accidents), you got one a year. Well, after that also failed,they just picked who would be the easiest and less confrontational. I was not one.

Remember one time, got a ride. He started talking and questioning. I told him (in a nice tone, BTW) to shut up because you're breaking my concentration. He did and ride was uneventful, except when it was his turn to drive.

He pulled out from intersection (and you know their rule that you have to use EVERY gear and double clutch EVERY shift), we were grannying into the driving lane when another truck was barreling right towards us. Other truck had to slam on brakes and horn.

Supe was kinda sweatin after that.

542thruNthru

Interesting.
Not one consistent answer.
I can't speak for feeder but in package the company has hired a 3rd party company to tell them who is most at risk to have a injury or accident. This company takes everything into account. Previous accidents and injuries, lytx camera events. Hell from what I'm told even credit history. Then this company ranks you into 4 tiers. The highest tier receives quarterly rides 4 times a year. The lowest tier gets one every 2 years. To my knowledge this issue was brought to national panels and ruled in the company's favor.

Now like @Coldworld said its an issue that we are hoping gets solved in negotiations.

Zowert

Do they make you do the driver drill in feeders? I hate that nonsense in package. I had a ride along with my sup last month, on the way back to center he says, “Alright I want you to do the driver drill.” I just said, “No I’m not doing that.” He looked at me with bewilderment but said nothing. It’s stupid, all you’re doing is distracting me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do they make you do the driver drill in feeders? I hate that nonsense in package. I had a ride along with my sup last month, on the way back to center he says, “Alright I want you to do the driver drill.” I just said, “No I’m not doing that.” He looked at me with bewilderment but said nothing. It’s stupid, all you’re doing is distracting me.
It depends on the sup. But yes. It’s way easier in feeders though since you’re not doing a drill AND trying to find an address at the same time. Just mirror clearing going down the highway.

clean hairy

"Dale Jarrett demonstrated he could drive safely and never had a ride along"
"Heck, he was in more avoidable accidents than everyone in our center combined and never had a ride along as a result!"

Thebrownblob

I have been told they use an algorithm based on many factors, even including age it is my understanding the international disagrees with the algorithm usage.

Shiftless

When I started feeder in the late 70's and well into the 80's they rode with us 4 times a year. They were on this kick they had to ride with you your whole shift every qtr.

I asked the on road one day, you just rode with me weeks ago?? He said "all of a sudden you are taking too much travel time, what's up with that?" Me being a wise A $ $, Hope in! He only rode to the rail yard and back and got out of the tractor. I said wait a minute you gotta ride with me the full shift! He mumbled walking away some expletive about his manager and I just couldn't contain my laughter.

What happened was, they finally gave me an assigned 1st tractor. They had been bouncing me around tractors as they were in short supply till I got this one. 1964 cabover International. Thing couldn't get out of its own way!!!! Going down the freeway and going under overpasses meant there was a large hill to descend and climb out of at max a 40 foot elevation change? I would have to drop 3 to 4 gears to drop in and climb out of, then build up a healthy head of steam for the next one. I called the 5 digit tractor
"Ca Ching".

As per their policy, "its always best to step over a dollar to pick up a Nickle"

Oh those were the days my friend's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!