Fired, Brought back under last and final but signed under protest then fired again

mamirk69

Re: Fired, Brought back under last and final but signed under protest then fired agai

Back to the topic on hand----am I right in assuming that the package swap took place at a commercial stop and the argument took place in front of the customer? Was the threat for retaliation also made in front of the customer?

You are correct about the arguement and initially the aggressor lied and stated the victim cursed them out only to allow the company to go back and allow the aggressor ro rewrite his story to coincide with the customer's and the victim's statement. Aggressor admitted they cursed out and threatened the victim. Company harped on the fact they argued even though the aggressor was doing the cursing. So in essence the labor manager made the arguement work place violence for both even though there was not any vulgar language committed by the victim or any threats. I guess his only recourse was to say nothing at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Fired, Brought back under last and final but signed under protest then fired agai

When you are at a customer's location you are representing the company---they both deserved to lose their jobs.

mamirk69

When you are at a customer's location you are representing the company---they both deserved to lose their jobs.

Damn where you in the room or a management individual yourself because that was the company arguement. Granted I was not present at the local level but this is the exact same statement the individual quoted me from the labor manager. So if an employee is being confrontational and a person maintain a professional conversation even though the aggressor is not they both deserve to be fired??????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The person being confronted should have left the area to try to help defuse the situation and to not further embarass the company.

They could have moved both package cars away from the location and continued the argument away from the general public for all I care----you don't argue in front of a customer.

mamirk69

The person being confronted should have left the area to try to help defuse the situation and to not further embarass the company.

They could have moved both package cars away from the location and continued the argument away from the general public for all I care----you don't argue in front of a customer.

I think I need to give you the entire situation even though this is not the arguement because management agreed the victim actions were appropriate. The aggressor pulled up to the site while the driver was working on the dock. When the victim was in the package car, the aggressor jumps into the package car and grabs the victim diad and proceeds to lay into the victim. Victim cannot pull off the site with the aggressor in his package car. You seem to know just as much as I do about the protest. What about the protest?

brown_trousers

I think I need to give you the entire situation even though this is not the arguement because management agreed the victim actions were appropriate. The aggressor pulled up to the site while the driver was working on the dock. When the victim was in the package car, the aggressor jumps into the package car and grabs the victim diad and proceeds to lay into the victim. Victim cannot pull off the site with the aggressor in his package car. You seem to know just as much as I do about the protest. What about the protest?

To be honest.. That just doesnt sound like its the whole story. Situations dont escalate that far unless both sides are contributing to the confrontation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At any rate, two drivers fighting in the back of the package car at a commercial stop deserves disciplinary action up to and including termination. Pull off the dock, beat the crap out of each other down the street--who cares--just not at a delivery stop.

mamirk69

To be honest.. That just doesnt sound like its the whole story. Situations dont escalate that far unless both sides are contributing to the confrontation.

That is not always true. The facts are the driver did not want to help out his fellow driver, that escalated the problem because the aggressor felt as though the victim was not doing his job and that is not the aggressor call.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

That is not always true. The facts are the driver did not want to help out his fellow driver, that escalated the problem because the aggressor felt as though the victim was not doing his job and that is not the aggressor call.
Does the terminated employee have a history of this? Why was a last and final offered if this is the first incident? Also, if this is the labor manager I'm thinking of.. there's been a *ton* of "work place violence" (using the quotes for a reason) cases recently in that area and that's probably unfairly affected you.

mamirk69

Does the terminated employee have a history of this? Why was a last and final offered if this is the first incident? Also, if this is the labor manager I'm thinking of.. there's been a *ton* of "work place violence" (using the quotes for a reason) cases recently in that area and that's probably unfairly affected you.

Someone from my area I see. The terminated employee has a history of filing grievances in the past and for the most part standing up for themselves. That is the employee whole entire reasoning for filing under protest in the first place because the employee does not have a history of work place violence. The company and for the most part the union was caught of guard with the protest because some of us gave the employee some help. The company knows they cannot stop the protest so decided another tactic because outside individuals are watching and the company wants to save face. Is the labor manager initials LG?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Someone from my area I see. The terminated employee has a history of filing grievances in the past and for the most part standing up for themselves. That is the employee whole entire reasoning for filing under protest in the first place because the employee does not have a history of work place violence. The company and for the most part the union was caught of guard with the protest because some of us gave the employee some help. The company knows they cannot stop the protest so decided another tactic because outside individuals are watching and the company wants to save face. Is the labor manager initials LG?
Yep. We're talking about the same labor manager. He's a real piece of work (trying to keep it PG). There have been an obscene number of terminations in the area lately - mostly new hires in the hub for stealing, but several 22.3's are off the job and pending panel. Not sure if it's 3rd quarter profit pressure or the heat getting to people, but it's been ridiculous.

mamirk69

Yep. We're talking about the same labor manager. He's a real piece of work (trying to keep it PG). There have been an obscene number of terminations in the area lately - mostly new hires in the hub for stealing, but several 22.3's are off the job and pending panel. Not sure if it's 3rd quarter profit pressure or the heat getting to people, but it's been ridiculous.

I think I know who you are? Sending you a pm.

brown_trousers

It still doesn't paint a picture of the so called "victim's" hands being completely clean of the situation. I'm not saying it isn't possible... to be a calm, collected, and reasonable person that just so happens to be the victim of workplace violence. I'm just saying it is very unlikely. It is usually the result of attitude and/or instigation from both sides. Bottom line is that it usually takes 2 to tango.

Returntosender

3rd quarter profit pressure. Their's a thread started by Jeepguy who talks about 3rd quarter profit pressure. https://www.browncafe.com/community...signed-under-protest-then-fired-again.346128/

mamirk69

steelertyson

Man it sounds like a lot of information is being leeked. As far as the situation I also agree that it takes to to tango, and if the aggressor has already signed a last and final then they are admitting they screwed up. So is the issue with the company or the union?????????????If the company will take a last and final with no strings attached I would go back to work and keep my nose clean, or Take it to the panel and let them decide your career...................................................................