First Post, Gonna Complain.

Hey everyone, Just wanted to share my experience at Ground as a contracted employee, 2 years into it and I finally realized what I was doing was criminal.
How remarkable is it that my contractor, brought $2,473 PROFIT off of my route a week. He has 13 routes. I was paid $110 a day. 140 stops, 350 packages average, last pick up was at 6:30Pm Mon-Fri. 60 hours a week for two years. Didnt receive my vacation check, got screwed over for my last check when I left for Express. I don't understand how someone can sit back and watch an "employee" work themself to death like that, and not fairly compensate. I'm 24 years old. and I have no clue how there are guys who have been working there for 20/15/10 even 5 years. No help, peak season is a joke, and the actual ground management is disrespectful, when I've brought nothing but superior performance to their station. I was turning to alcohol after work every day, my girlfriend left me, i turned into an :censored2: and hated life, stay away from Ground.

Finally got a full time position at express, and it's a vacation every day, 20-30 stops. Loving life. Minus the bribing of the food when this SFA thing rolled around, caught onto that, well played.

But overall it's far better, in fact the last 6 drivers to leave Ground and go to express have been from the same contractor, I being the last of the 6. It's crazy how lazy some people are here at express though. Oh well, hopefully I turn into one of them who takes it easy because I'm still in my " oh :censored2: I need to get this :censored2: done or I'm :censored2:ed" kind of mindset.

Hopefully I steered someone away from Ground with this rant.

It will be fine

Your math is off. Your contractor wasn't even grossing that much off your route let alone profit.
Did the route change after you took the job? Or did you see it first, understand the pay and took it anyway? Did you ask for a raise ever?
I guess you're just 24 so that might explain why you took such terrible treatment for 2 years. Take it as a learning experience, and you should get out of the industry especially with a degree.

Purplepackage

Hey everyone, Just wanted to share my experience at Ground as a contracted employee, 2 years into it and I finally realized what I was doing was criminal.
How remarkable is it that my contractor, brought $2,473 PROFIT off of my route a week. He has 13 routes. I was paid $110 a day. 140 stops, 350 packages average, last pick up was at 6:30Pm Mon-Fri. 60 hours a week for two years. Didnt receive my vacation check, got screwed over for my last check when I left for Express. I don't understand how someone can sit back and watch an "employee" work themself to death like that, and not fairly compensate. I'm 24 years old. and I have no clue how there are guys who have been working there for 20/15/10 even 5 years. No help, peak season is a joke, and the actual ground management is disrespectful, when I've brought nothing but superior performance to their station. I was turning to alcohol after work every day, my girlfriend left me, i turned into an :censored2: and hated life, stay away from Ground.

Finally got a full time position at express, and it's a vacation every day, 20-30 stops. Loving life. Minus the bribing of the food when this SFA thing rolled around, caught onto that, well played.

But overall it's far better, in fact the last 6 drivers to leave Ground and go to express have been from the same contractor, I being the last of the 6. It's crazy how lazy some people are here at express though. Oh well, hopefully I turn into one of them who takes it easy because I'm still in my " oh :censored2: I need to get this :censored2: done or I'm :censored2:ed" kind of mindset.

You're working full time and only taking out 20-30 stops? What do you do after 12pm?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Your math is off. Your contractor wasn't even grossing that much off your route let alone profit.
Did the route change after you took the job? Or did you see it first, understand the pay and took it anyway? Did you ask for a raise ever?
I guess you're just 24 so that might explain why you took such terrible treatment for 2 years. Take it as a learning experience, and you should get out of the industry especially with a degree.

Gee, why would a Ground contractor try and downplay the OP's story? You're a piece of work, pal.

CJinx

Gee, why would a Ground contractor try and downplay the OP's story? You're a piece of work, pal.
Because 100K+ after expenses on a single route is absolutely insane. Either OP doesn't know what he is talking about or Fedex's legal team seriously :censored2:ed up a contract.

It will be fine

Believe me, I wish it was true. I want to be contractor in this magical land where fools work 60 hr weeks for $28k a year. Where routes generate $4k a week so I can profit $2400. It sounds wonderful. Heck I could triple salaries and still have plenty to spare. Unfortunately I live in reality and it's still FedEx cutting the checks. Profits are nowhere near what OP claims. He may just not understand what profit means.

Markets are different, Fuel costs are different, we have major accounts with John Deere, The RIA ( A massive logistics base for the army) Alcoa, KONE elevator, when I was picking up 1,200 packages from John Deere alone every night in a straight truck the profits add up. Anything over 75 packages is a bonus for him, I'm well aware of how much he made off of my route. Other routes did not fare the same,

bbsam

Staff member
Markets are different, Fuel costs are different, we have major accounts with John Deere, The RIA ( A massive logistics base for the army) Alcoa, KONE elevator, when I was picking up 1,200 packages from John Deere alone every night in a straight truck the profits add up. Anything over 75 packages is a bonus for him, I'm well aware of how much he made off of my route. Other routes did not fare the same,
Pardon me, but what John Deere location have we ever picked up 1200 pieces in a straight truck at?

bbsam

Staff member

In your experience, we're all the contractors as bad?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Believe me, I wish it was true. I want to be contractor in this magical land where fools work 60 hr weeks for $28k a year. Where routes generate $4k a week so I can profit $2400. It sounds wonderful. Heck I could triple salaries and still have plenty to spare. Unfortunately I live in reality and it's still FedEx cutting the checks. Profits are nowhere near what OP claims. He may just not understand what profit means.

$550 per week? Yes, I've heard of Ground salaries/wages that low. Someone in CA came on here last year and said they had people working for $450 per week. All anecdotal. It sounds like this route was an outlier, with tremendous volume from a couple of big accounts.

El Morado Diablo

A friend of mine just interviewed for a a job with Ground in the St Joesph, MO area. The contractor was paying $575-$600 /wk for a route doing 100 stops a day @ 50-55 hours per week. It didn't take long for him to decide it just wasn't worth it.

MAKAVELI

A friend of mine just interviewed for a a job with Ground in the St Joesph, MO area. The contractor was paying $575-$600 /wk for a route doing 100 stops a day @ 50-55 hours per week. It didn't take long for him to decide it just wasn't worth it.
It probably took him all of 10 seconds to figure out it wasn't worth it. You probably could make the same amount at McDonald's for a lot less work and stress.