Forced 20 Minute Break

MassWineGuy

That's what most of the terminated people said before they got fired. You might win the battle but you will usually always lose the war. Have seen them go back to an application and study it hard to make sure you didn't falsify on it, even years later. Trying to play workplace lawyer will always put you in their cross hairs and will usually lead to less than desirable results for the hourly. Recording conversations without their knowledge will get you shown the door for sure.

Sounds like you have a great plan.

Alright already! I think I grasp your subtle point. Should they "do" something to me you will read about it here. They can study anything they wish, nothing's falsified. Thank you, yes, you may address me as Messiah.

From all the different posts on this board it seems like there is a wide range of evil among managers and stations. I'd rank mine on the less severe side of the spectrum. But hey! I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Also, I could just stay silent, take the breaks and report the violations to state and federal enforcement agencies. To do absolutely nothing is absolutely wrong, but I do see the value in protecting myself.

Odd as it sounds, I'm looking into the AIM pgm for management. Someday they'll point to me, too, and ask "What happened to that guy?"

vantexan

Alright already! I think I grasp your subtle point. Should they "do" something to me you will read about it here. They can study anything they wish, nothing's falsified. Thank you, yes, you may address me as Messiah.

From all the different posts on this board it seems like there is a wide range of evil among managers and stations. I'd rank mine on the less severe side of the spectrum. But hey! I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Also, I could just stay silent, take the breaks and report the violations to state and federal enforcement agencies. To do absolutely nothing is absolutely wrong, but I do see the value in protecting myself.

Odd as it sounds, I'm looking into the AIM pgm for management. Someday they'll point to me, too, and ask "What happened to that guy?"
As a FedEx employee you have a right to respectfully disagree with your mgr and express opinions that he may disagree with. I've worked all over the country and have told mgrs numerous times they are wrong and have been very critical of the company's pay policies. Some mgrs have reacted very angrily. But none ever gave me a reason to believe I was about to be fired. However if you do anything that could get you fired, such as be rude to a customer or not report the slight contact you made backing, you are risking them using that to get rid of you. So be careful, and after making your point don't keep harping on it. If you're in the right and they're hassling you, call HR.

MassWineGuy

As a FedEx employee you have a right to respectfully disagree with your mgr and express opinions that he may disagree with. I've worked all over the country and have told mgrs numerous times they are wrong and have been very critical of the company's pay policies. Some mgrs have reacted very angrily. But none ever gave me a reason to believe I was about to be fired. However if you do anything that could get you fired, such as be rude to a customer or not report the slight contact you made backing, you are risking them using that to get rid of you. So be careful, and after making your point don't keep harping on it. If you're in the right and they're hassling you, call HR.

Thanks, Van. This is exactly the way I feel. At this point I can contact the appropriate enforcement agencies, tell them who and where to contact, and just clam up.

Oldfart

Thanks, Van. This is exactly the way I feel. At this point I can contact the appropriate enforcement agencies, tell them who and where to contact, and just clam up.
Yep, calling lawyers and federal and state agencies to report a problem with taking a break when you don't want to is a great way to win over your managers and above. Hope they never ask you to deliver a stop out of your area. You might call the FBI or Secret Service.

MassWineGuy

Yep, calling lawyers and federal and state agencies to report a problem with taking a break when you don't want to is a great way to win over your managers and above. Hope they never ask you to deliver a stop out of your area. You might call the FBI or Secret Service.

I've called the FBI before.

Old, if you're ok bending over and taking it dry, fine. How nice for you.

dex 84

The best thing to do is just quietly not take the 20 minute break. If they bring it up to you be ready to defend yourself but don't make a scene. Let them get the others to take the break but don't spend your own time on their game and don't do anything to make yourself a high profile employee.

MassWineGuy

The best thing to do is just quietly not take the 20 minute break. If they bring it up to you be ready to defend yourself but don't make a scene. Let them get the others to take the break but don't spend your own time on their game and don't do anything to make yourself a high profile employee.

Dex, that is excellent advice. I am going to do everything I can to follow it.

outtatime

Dex, that is excellent advice. I am going to do everything I can to follow it.
Exactly, they only need a certain percentage to make compliance and it's not 100%. Unless told directly I would just keep doing what you're doing. Let the others take the breaks.

Or take the stupid 20 minute break and make it up throughout the day by slowing down here and there. It's not really that hard to stretch another 20 minutes out of the day to even it all out.