Forced 20 Minute Break

MassWineGuy

Part time couriers at my Express station, in the Boston area, were told to take a mandatory 20 minute break. We were told that this was to help reduce gap times.

How does not working for 20 minutes reduce gap times?

Wouldn't this risk lates because closing times may occur during a break?

If you don't have lates and get or deliver everything on time, why do gap times matter anyway?

For pt'ers who work five hours a day, this is ridiculous. It takes money out of my pocket.

I'm uncertain that it's even legal. In Massachusetts you must take a 30 minute break if you work six to eight hours. One hour break if you work longer than eight.

From now on I will send dispatch a message if I need to stop to use a bathroom. Just to have it on the record somewhere.

Are others getting forced breaks?

MassWineGuy

Yeah, I know the general consensus. But this is the first such slimy action that's happened to me. I can't quite see keeping these breaks for peak.

overflowed

In all truthfulness, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. You are a Metro so I gave that consideration. But 66 is correct, welcome. You took longer than most.

overflowed

Were always told to. But, metro is different. They expect most of you to do it. A percentage to come off of a report. Just ignore it and play dumb. If they say something then? Up to you how to play that. I was never asked again.

MassWineGuy

Were always told to. But, metro is different. They expect most of you to do it. A percentage to come off of a report. Just ignore it and play dumb. If they say something then? Up to you how to play that. I was never asked again.

You're specifically talking about this 20 minute break? My mgr definitely knows I don't like it. Unsure what I would do if he pointedly insisted. I'm checking with the attorney general's office to see if forcing it on us is allowed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Part time couriers at my Express station, in the Boston area, were told to take a mandatory 20 minute break. We were told that this was to help reduce gap times.

If you don't have lates and get or deliver everything on time, why do gap times matter anyway?

For pt'ers who work five hours a day, this is ridiculous. It takes money out of my pocket.

I'm uncertain that it's even legal. In Massachusetts you must take a 30 minute break if you work six to eight hours. One hour break if you work longer than eight.

From now on I will send dispatch a message if I need to stop to use a bathroom. Just to have it on the record somewhere.

It will reduce gap times because they think you'll run to keep from having lates. Don't. Work as directed and move at your same pace. Let the lates be their problem. They'll find out when you guys have lates everywhere that it doesn't work.

!Retired!

We're told we have to take a 30 minute break if we go over 5 hours. Taking only a 20 minute break in a day, if you work 5+ hours, would technically be a break violation. Also, taking a 20 minute break doesn't take money out of anyone's pocket, unless you work during that break.

If you're being 'forced' to take a 20 minute break during P1's, take your lates and ask for a check ride.

dex 84

You need to take a half hour break if you go over 6. You don't need to take a 20 minute break ever. Just don't do it.

You're on a pup route, right? You should be able to figure a way to run your route without gaps, even if it means occasionally taking 5 minutes off before pupping a stop.

Better yet, take a 15 minute break. Tell them you tried to take a 20 but just couldn't quite find the time...

dezguy

Law in my province states anything over 6 hours requires at least a 30 minute break. Anything over 8 requires 1 hour.

They've tried this a few times at the various locations I've worked at. Some people follow it, some don't. I can honestly say, nothing has ever been done to those who don't take a break, under 6 hours other than the manager having a "talk" with them. Those smart enough knew FedEx didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You have a bad attitude.

Purplepackage

They are only doing this because it's that time of year again.

The 3-4 weeks before :censored2: hits the fan and they want you to take breaks from the sort rather than on road.

Cut all costs before thanksgiving and then after thanksgiving they just light money on fire

MassWineGuy

Better yet, take a 15 minute break. Tell them you tried to take a 20 but just couldn't quite find the time...

Great idea!

The Massachusetts attorney general's office told me the company is free to do as it wishes concerning shifts under six hours.

Money from my pocket: If I take unpaid breaks each day, how does that not reduce my total hours of paid time? I can't (always) work 20 mins extra at the end of the day to compensate.

Last edited:

Purplepackage

Great idea!

The Massachusetts attorney general's office told me the company is free to do as it wishes concerning shifts under six hours.

Money from my pocket: If I take unpaid breaks each day, how does that not reduce my total hours of paid time? I can't (always) work 20 mins extra at the end of the day to compensate.

Just transfer to a rural station where the only concern is that you make it back for the shuttle since your route covers 250 miles a day

MAKAVELI

Great idea!

You have 3 options. 1 work as directed and take it up the ass. 2 fight them by asking for the policy on breaks or 3 like many do, work the system so as not to have large gap times.

McFeely

Huge Member
Be glad you're not in a state like TheJackal and I are in that requires a 30-min break for anything worked over 5 hours.

dex 84

Great idea!

You can always find a way to add time once you realize that all of fedex management has a fundamental misunderstanding of how long things take.

Purplepackage

You can always find a way to add time once you realize that all of fedex management has a fundamental misunderstanding of how long things take.

Yeah but don't be that guy who somehow has 4 5:30 pups on his route but only had enough work to make it until 4 if you're lucky.

Those people are swing drivers nightmares