Forced to work 6 days a week. Permanently.

Box Handler of Dallas

I've been a day sort package handler at UPS in West Columbia ever since July of 2010. For that whole time, my schedule has been Tuesday to Saturday (5 days a week, with the exception of peak season, of course). Recently, we were told that we would have to start working on Mondays as well. We were told that we would be disciplined if we did not come in. It is day shift and only day shift that has to do this 6-day work week now. In my almost 11 years of working here, they have never done anything like this before. Why would they suddenly change their minds now? My supervisor said she didn't even know the reason for the change. It's not even like volume has been high, it's actually been very low (one day last week, we only worked 4 people on my belt and we rarely even work for 3 hours a day).

Has anything like this happened at other facilities? Does anyone have a clue why they would start forcing a regular 6-day work week? If it's for a good cause, like helping with vaccine distribution, then I would be very understanding of that. But then again, why wouldn't they want the other shifts to help if that were the case?
I'm not understanding the problem here. Based on your comments throughout this chain, you say you don't have time to take care of things in your personal life, yet you state you rarely work 3 hours a day. That leaves you 21 hours to manage your life outside of UPS. Personally, I work a 40 hour work week on my regular job and then go do the night sort in Dallas. I actively look to pick up a Saturday preload shift for the 6th punch and if I can find a 7th punch, I take all the money I can get. Due to the snow storms last week, we're playing catch up here and I should end this week at 35 hours.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I always ask my sup about union matters.
Because you are a slacker.

Everyone knows you come to bc for all issues.

Work related or not.

What happened to the Chicago feedah whos supes beat him up in the bathroom and followed him home to get a glimpse of his wife's lady parts?

What happened to that guy.

I wonder if he will ever come back and update us

Babagounj

Strength through joy
With UPS it is either feast or famine.
With every change in managers , I never knew which way was coming.
As a p/t, I worked on Twilight, in the a.m. as a Exception Air Driver and Saturdays.

Dr.Brownz

I've been a day sort package handler at UPS in West Columbia ever since July of 2010. For that whole time, my schedule has been Tuesday to Saturday (5 days a week, with the exception of peak season, of course). Recently, we were told that we would have to start working on Mondays as well. We were told that we would be disciplined if we did not come in. It is day shift and only day shift that has to do this 6-day work week now. In my almost 11 years of working here, they have never done anything like this before. Why would they suddenly change their minds now? My supervisor said she didn't even know the reason for the change. It's not even like volume has been high, it's actually been very low (one day last week, we only worked 4 people on my belt and we rarely even work for 3 hours a day).

Has anything like this happened at other facilities? Does anyone have a clue why they would start forcing a regular 6-day work week? If it's for a good cause, like helping with vaccine distribution, then I would be very understanding of that. But then again, why wouldn't they want the other shifts to help if that were the case?

Demand your guaranteed 3.5 hours of pay per shift! That may be your only tactic here. I'm not too versed on part time issues though