Fox News lolz

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wkmac, This Old House is still on although Steve is now Kevin. New Yankee Workshop is no longer being made. They have added Ask This Old House, which is basically a show where viewers e-mail requests for instruction and/or help and the crew do the work, based on their area of expertise, with the homeowners.

I watched the timber frame show and was amazed at the craftsmanship. I do have to admit, though, that I found Ted to be somewhat full of himself.

wkmac

wkmac, This Old House is still on although Steve is now Kevin. New Yankee Workshop is no longer being made. They have added Ask This Old House, which is basically a show where viewers e-mail requests for instruction and/or help and the crew do the work, based on their area of expertise, with the homeowners.

I watched the timber frame show and was amazed at the craftsmanship. I do have to admit, though, that I found Ted to be somewhat full of himself.

Thanks. Oh yeah Ted is very much full of himself but he is the master craftsman. I met him at an International Woodworker's Fair in the 1990's and he was an arse for sure. But then so was Bob Villa. LOL!

Thanks. Oh yeah Ted is very much full of himself but he is the master craftsman. I met him at an International Woodworker's Fair in the 1990's and he was an arse for sure. But then so was Bob Villa. LOL!
Vila always came across to me as a tv personality more than a craftsman. Ask This Old House is aired on HGTV and the is a pretty good program for brief "how to" instructions. I used to watch The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram a lot. My only problem with that one was Norm had every high dollar tool a man could dream for. I could do what he did if I could afford to have a shop equipped like that. In the next year I plan on building and installing new kitchen cabinets but before starting that project going to convert an unused bedroom into a library/computer room with one wall to wall, ceiling to floor book shelves. Both projects will be quite challenging.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Vila always came across to me as a tv personality more than a craftsman. Ask This Old House is aired on HGTV and the is a pretty good program for brief "how to" instructions. I used to watch The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram a lot. My only problem with that one was Norm had every high dollar tool a man could dream for. I could do what he did if I could afford to have a shop equipped like that. In the next year I plan on building and installing new kitchen cabinets but before starting that project going to convert an unused bedroom into a library/computer room with one wall to wall, ceiling to floor book shelves. Both projects will be quite challenging.

Hammer's office has an entire wall with shelves........that was fun to outfit.

Our house was a model and knick-knacks were already decorating everything. The framed pictures of people I don't know were much better looking than our pictures. I learned the 'odd number' rule......Items on a display shelf should be in 1-3-5-7- etc. items and not an even number. It does look more balanced.

There's clocks in there, small groupings of books, ceramic pieces, crystal, artificial plants, etc. The very lowest of shelves is a system of cloth lined baskets (women know what I mean) that holds his office papers and records and keeps them out of sight.......it's basically the overflow that the desk doesn't hold.
One of the open areas of the shelves is big enough for a nice size TV.

The shelves are good looking and serve both functional and decorative purpose. They make a much better "accent wall" than just painting a 4th wall a different color.
Good luck with the project.

Hammer's office has an entire wall with shelves........that was fun to outfit.

Our house was a model and knick-knacks were already decorating everything. The framed pictures of people I don't know were much better looking than our pictures. I learned the 'odd number' rule......Items on a display shelf should be in 1-3-5-7- etc. items and not an even number. It does look more balanced.

There's clocks in there, small groupings of books, ceramic pieces, crystal, artificial plants, etc. The very lowest of shelves is a system of cloth lined baskets (women know what I mean) that holds his office papers and records and keeps them out of sight.......it's basically the overflow that the desk doesn't hold.
One of the open areas of the shelves is big enough for a nice size TV.

The shelves are good looking and serve both functional and decorative purpose. They make a much better "accent wall" than just painting a 4th wall a different color.
Good luck with the project.
That wall sounds much like what I am planning, except no TV. Thanks for the good luck wish...I
ll need it.

wkmac

Man, what you talkin' bout'! Most people thought that shop was his but it's not. That shop is located at the home of the program's producer who btw also produces the Victory Garden. On one side is the workshop where Norm shoots the show and on the other side of that same building is the part used and seen in The Victory Garden. I use to drool over Norm's Delta Unisaw until I used a Powermatic Model 66 a buddy of mine bought and that's my ultimate dream saw. The only problem is forking over what would be the cost of a decent small used car to get one. OUCH!

If you like woodworking and can find it, The Woodsmith Shop is a very good woodworking program as is The Woodsmith publication. American Woodworker and Fine Woodworking are also great. And if you are a serious woodworker, if you ever get the chance to go to the International Woodworker's Fair, go but be prepared for 3 very busy days and tons of walking and standing. The fun part is always watching the group of Amish men carrying black leather satchels walking over to the TimeSavers display knowing they will be laying out cash money on equipment purchases. So much for the myth of all hand made! LOL! My wife and I had lunch with some and they are a wealth of knowledge on joinery and more than willing to share. Surprised me they had a good sense of humor (very clean one) and could laugh at themselves with good shop stories.

Man, what you talkin' bout'! Most people thought that shop was his but it's not. That shop is located at the home of the program's producer who btw also produces the Victory Garden. On one side is the workshop where Norm shoots the show and on the other side of that same building is the part used and seen in The Victory Garden. I use to drool over Norm's Delta Unisaw until I used a Powermatic Model 66 a buddy of mine bought and that's my ultimate dream saw. The only problem is forking over what would be the cost of a decent small used car to get one. OUCH!

If you like woodworking and can find it, The Woodsmith Shop is a very good woodworking program as is The Woodsmith publication. American Woodworker and Fine Woodworking are also great. And if you are a serious woodworker, if you ever get the chance to go to the International Woodworker's Fair, go but be prepared for 3 very busy days and tons of walking and standing. The fun part is always watching the group of Amish men carrying black leather satchels walking over to the TimeSavers display knowing they will be laying out cash money on equipment purchases. So much for the myth of all hand made! LOL! My wife and I had lunch with some and they are a wealth of knowledge on joinery and more than willing to share. Surprised me they had a good sense of humor (very clean one) and could laugh at themselves with good shop stories.

I googled the Unisaw and Powermatic and your right,.....OMG... I'll have to be satisfied with my Ryobi table saw and router. I'm not all that serious of a "wood worker" but really like home repairs and remodeling. I am trying to teach myself how to build cabinets and did accomplish converting an old built in desk with shelves and drawers, hiding behind doors. after a little more practice I want to build new kitchen cabinets. We'll see how that works out.

don't know much about the Amish, but I know quite a few Mennonites and most of them are very good craftsmen. By the time they are no their early thirties, they have 15-20 years experience.

bbsam

Staff member
These are bbsam's words......"Oh, it's just so horrible! Blah, blah, blah."
LOL! I've been quoted! I am somebody! Wait. I better check the phone book to make sure...Yes! It says it right there! I feel so...so...legitimatizationed!

bbsam

Staff member
Is This Old House still on? One of my all time favorites was the very first series in which Steve replaced Bob Villa as host. Not because of Bob but the series was about coverting an old barn into a timber frame home. The structure was so far gone, they had to just take it down but they used master timber framer Ted Benson and erected a barn re-creation that made a fantastic home. They did several more timber frames with Ted using stress skin panels which used the old world artisanship of timber framing with the 21st century modular approach of stress skin panels which make for speed of building while give a super efficiency home. Also a big fan of New Yankee Workshop. Haven't watched either show in years.

Note to bbsam, mark post #40 in this thread for future reference!
:happy2:
heh heh heh. You said "erected".

bbsam

Staff member
If someone votes for me, look for another round of voter intimidation (or is it identification?) laws.