Full-Time, Temperary, Seasonal Tracter Trailer Driver

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I think Forrest Park might all be local runs... Everytime i pull from there it's to either ATLGA or PLEGA. As scratch said I doubt there is any chance you will stick after peak

Why not just try to get on with Old Dominion or another good company instead of the uncertainty of a temporary UPS Feeder position? OD line-haul pays good and is a 2 year progression. I think OD is over $.60 a mile after you top out. UPS is over $.80 for mileage but you will never see one of those runs full-time. Our hourly pay would also be a 4 year progression for you.

So which position gives more personal satisfaction? Feeder or Package Delivery Driver? I know feeder is probably harder to ger friend/T in my position but, i don't want to lose my big rig driving experience by working package car. I love driving.

So for UPS Parcel no outside hire even with my driving experience? I don't mind doing p/t package handler work for an extended period of time. As long as it guarantees a friend/T feeder or package car. I need the bennies.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think Forrest Park might all be local runs... Everytime i pull from there it's to either ATLGA or PLEGA. As scratch said I doubt there is any chance you will stick after peak.

I'm in package, so I'm not too familiar with our Feeder Dept. We do have loads going to Savannah, Tifton, Jacksonville, Montgomery, Birmingham, and a few others. But like you said, most go to P-Dale and Fulton Industrial.

Feeder is easier, package is tougher on your body.

Most package drivers are waiting in line to get feeder. Correct? Should I focus on friend/T package car instead and work my rank up like the others? I'm trying to make decision to work at UPS now while still relatively young.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Correct, Feeder is a bid job. I'm thinking 5-10 years of package to bid onto Feeder. Might not be that long with bunch of retirements coming up.

Most package drivers are waiting in line to get feeder. Correct? Should I focus on friend/T package car instead and work my rank up like the others? I'm trying to make decision to work at UPS now while still relatively young.
Not all package car drivers are waiting to go into Feeders. I would say most like the day hours and have worked themselves up to a decent route. The job is not as horrible as some of they guys would have you believe.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

If you can work part-time and still hold down another job scratch has given you good info on becoming a package car driver at Forrest Park. Whatever you do I would try to be full-time by the time of our next contract. Our next contract will probably have a 10 year progression or something stupid like that.

A few months back I heard the money Greensboro had for automation was going to PDale or a new PDale replacement. Anyone hear about that?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
No way. You will regret it. Wait for an off the street hire. Relocate if you have to. Otherwise if you are a seasonal employee then you can probably call the local union hall and get the details of feeder hiring and any seniority lists and make an informed decision.

No way. You will regret it. Wait for an off the street hire.

How can I tell the are hiring feeder off the street? Just wait for a full-time opening Tracter Trailer Driver?
Like scratch said feeder just doesn't open up it's a seniority thing.