Gas Prices

mjjlohn

How did we manage to maintain our roads before all these gas tax hikes?
I guess if you were in charge we would be looking at massive, across the board tax inceases.
We simply didn't have as many roads to maintain in the 80's. The original Eisenhower act was completed in 91' and has been expanded upon since.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Why are you pushing for a gas tax increase so hard?
If you don't think the government has taken enough of your money, nothing is stopping you from sending more. Trust me, they will gladly accept it.

bbsam

Staff member
This premis is just stupid. Why should taxes always go up according to democrats? Because then they can use the money that they take from people to spend on their pet projects like welfare, food stamps, and public housing.
News flash, taxes are too high.
taxes should go up because we are running record deficits and we as a nation have decided what we want the government to provide so it is up to us to pay for it. Simple enough for you?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you don't think the government has taken enough of your money, nothing is stopping you from sending more. Trust me, they will gladly accept it.

I say, lower our taxes, cut the military and let YOU and your sons defend the USA with your guns from home.

The savings would be tremendous.

TOS.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm not pushing hard for it, I'm having a conversation about the gas tax in a thread about gas. I don't like it anymore than you do, but we need roads.

Why are you pushing so hard against it? The gas tax is used exclusively for roads and things transportation related, and it's not enough money. I threw out some ideas, what's your solution? I'm open minded, but all you seem to have is complaints.

Keeping the tax where it is will only going to continue to add to the deficit.

oldngray

nowhere special
The irony of the green energy people promoting hybrids and electric which is aimed at reducing gasoline consumption also reduces tax revenue to pay for roads. So states are looking at hitting those vehicles with a usage tax which would defeat the purpose of getting a more efficient vehicle.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
True. It definitely hurts the fund, and not just from electrics and hybrids. My daily driver is a normal 4 cylinder that's getting around 36 mpg. I hardly ever drive my old truck, unless I'm going camping or hauling something.

The real problem though is construction cost inflation.
itep-1.jpg

realbrown1

I'm not pushing hard for it, I'm having a conversation about the gas tax in a thread about gas. I don't like it anymore than you do, but we need roads.

Why are you pushing so hard against it? The gas tax is used exclusively for roads and things transportation related, and it's not enough money. I threw out some ideas, what's your solution? I'm open minded, but all you seem to have is complaints.

Keeping the tax where it is will only going to continue to add to the deficit.
First of all you are advocating for gas tax increase. Exactly who says we do not spend enough on roads in our country?
like I said earlier anytime you want to open your checkbook up and write the government a 10000 dollar check, you're free to go ahead and do that anytime.
So what are you pushing for $5 a gallon gas or $6 or $7?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
First of all you are advocating for gas tax increase. Exactly who says we do not spend enough on roads in our country?
like I said earlier anytime you want to open your checkbook up and write the government a 10000 dollar check, you're free to go ahead and do that anytime.
Again all you do is complain and offer no solutions. I threw some suggestions out there. Your suggestion is I write the government a check, why are you even in this conversation if you're not going to be serious? Maybe it's just over your head in general.
How about link the gas tax to inflation. How about more of a toll road type system. How about we put more of the costs on the state level. How about we do all of these things.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So what are you pushing for $5 a gallon gas or $6 or $7?
No. I'm suggesting to try something though. Complain about deficit, do nothing about it seems to be your idea.

How about 10 cents? Would that break your bank? Reagan increased it by 9 cents you know that right? That's about 21 cents today accounting for inflation.
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/comm...-if-every-driver-kicked-extra-466-month/7012/
..if the gas tax had been indexed to rise with inflation and to keep pace with construction costs...according to ITEP's calculations, the federal gas tax would stand at 29 cents per gallon, roughly a dime higher than it is today.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You need to add in state taxes on top of the federal gas tax.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/gas-taxes-by-state.aspx
Well I was talking about the federal Highway Fund, which will most likely be bankrupt by 2015. I'd prefer shift more of the responsibility to the states anyways...... I'd like to think my state could manage the money better than Washington can.

We definitely shouldn't be paying for mass transit out of the highway fund though. That's a start right there just shift that to the local level and the fund is in a little better shape.

realbrown1

W
No. I'm suggesting to try something though. Complain about deficit, do nothing about it seems to be your idea.

How about 10 cents? Would that break your bank? Reagan increased it by 9 cents you know that right? That's about 21 cents today accounting for inflation.
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/comm...-if-every-driver-kicked-extra-466-month/7012/
Your solution would make asking $5 $6 or $7 a gallon. You really must not have that much brain power of this is the only solution you can come up with.
I would fire all government workers in charge of roads and contract out all road construction projects. Have you ever seen six guys standing around a hole andone guy digs, this would eliminate that.
One thing that you have failed to learn is government is very inefficient. Ineficient on the verge of being broken. Government can't do anything right.
But you keep throwing money at the problem and see how well that works.[/quote]

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Your solution would make asking $5 $6 or $7 a gallon. You really must not have that much brain power of this is the only solution you can come up with.
I would fire all government workers in charge of roads and contract out all road construction projects. Have you ever seen six guys standing around a hole andone guy digs, this would eliminate that.
One thing that you have failed to learn is government is very inefficient. Ineficient on the verge of being broken. Government can't do anything right.
But you keep throwing money at the problem and see how well that works.
Not much brain power huh? You say raising the gas tax 10 cents would make $7 a gallon gas? Where are you paying $6.90 a gallon for gas?

The construction projects are ALREADY contracted out. Private companies put in bids to do these projects, those are the people you see standing around. Not sure where you live, but just as an example, you can put in a bid for California highway projects here:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/electronic_bidding/electronic_bidding.html

Any other bright ideas?

Last edited:

island1fox

The Government already collects TRILLIONS of dollars in Tax Money.

You sound like Nancy Pelosi ---"There is nothing more to cut "

That's because all the money taken from us is spent so wisely --no waste and fraud and of course no dopey studies and grants.

How many roads could we have built with that Billion Dollars Kerry gave away Today ??

Instead of keeping 610 military bases around the world --supporting little towns and cities is such dangerous places like present day Japan or Germany--Bring the troops home ---open military bases in the United States --instead of the troops marching around in circles all day ----immediate disaster relief --along with building federal Highways and Bridges.

How is that for a few basic money saving moves and the re-building of our infrastructure !!

The middle class has been hit with the largest tax hike in History --Obamacare --food-electricity --clothing --everything rising ----A tax on Gasoline will not relieve them--only open up more Royal living by our Politicians ---did martini boy in the bathtub- we were paying for --ever get prosecuted ??--yeah I know --just a drop in the Bucket !!

island1fox

In the past two weeks --Gas prices have risen by 14 cents nationwide --the EPA with the "Sulfer Mandate" --will kick it up another nine cents ---again just pennies --a drop in the "bucket"

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The Government already collects TRILLIONS of dollars in Tax Money.

You sound like Pelosi ---"There is nothing more to cut "

That's because all the money taken from us is spent so wisely --no waste and fraud and of course no dopey studies and grants.

How many roads could we have built with that Billion Dollars Kerry gave away Today ??

Instead of keeping 610 military bases around the world --supporting little towns and cities is such dangerous places like present day Japan or Germany--Bring the troops home ---open military bases in the United States --instead of the troops marching around in circles all day ----immediate disaster relief --along with building federal Highways and Bridges.

How is that for a few basic money saving moves and the re-building of our infrastructure !!

The middle class has been hit with the largest tax hike in History --Obamacare --food-electricity --clothing --everything rising ----A tax on Gasoline will not relieve them--only open up more Royal living by our Politicians ---did martini boy in the bathtub- we were paying for --ever get prosecuted ??--yeah I know --just a drop in the Bucket !!
Totally agree about the military bases.

The one good thing about the gas tax though is it's directly tied to transportation, rather than one huge pile of money the government can do anything they want with. The people who use the roads get taxed to build and maintain them. Transferring more responsibility to the state level makes this even more true.

island1fox

Totally agree about the military bases.

The one good thing about the gas tax though is it's directly tied to transportation, rather than one huge pile of money the government can do anything they want with. The people who use the roads get taxed to build and maintain them. Transferring more responsibility to the state level makes this even more true.

dido,

It is good we can agree on a few things.

I do not trust the government with any revenue --used for "transportation Only" --I would not hold my breath !!

realbrown1

dido,

It is good we can agree on a few things.

I do not trust the government with any revenue --used for "transportation Only" --I would not hold my breath !!
You are wasting your breath. He's one of those, "We need the government to fix this" type of person.