Gas Prices

rod

Retired 22 years
supply-demand-refineries on strike-wells capped-summer blends------its all irrelevant----the prices are going up because Big Oil wants them up.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
supply-demand-refineries on strike-wells capped-summer blends------its all irrelevant----the prices are going up because Big Oil wants them up.
All the while we keep throwing tax subsidies and corporate welfare their way year after year. Guess all that cash and/or free speech big oil throws at politicians every year does have a good return for them.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
All the while we keep throwing tax subsidies and corporate welfare their way year after year. Guess all that cash and/or free speech big oil throws at politicians every year does have a good return for them.
And how much cash welfare subsidies do the farmers and oil companies get to produce ethanol?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And how much cash welfare subsidies do the farmers and oil companies get to produce ethanol?
Looks like you are using the dodge of "cash" to try and circumvent the reality of gasohol subsidies.

This is an excerpt from an article by the conservative think tank The CATO Institute:
Most expensive is Washington’s 54 cent-per-gallon tax break for gasohol. This special-interest loophole accounts for the bulk of the more than $10 billion in subsidies to ADM since 1980. All told, analyst James Bovard estimates that every dollar in profits earned by ADM costs taxpayers $30.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/ethanol-keeps-adm-drunk-tax-dollars

It would be even more if Bob Dole had been elected in 1996 ... he was really deep into ADM's pockets.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Looks like you are using the dodge of "cash" to try and circumvent the reality of gasohol subsidies.

This is an excerpt from an article by the conservative think tank The CATO Institute:
Most expensive is Washington’s 54 cent-per-gallon tax break for gasohol. This special-interest loophole accounts for the bulk of the more than $10 billion in subsidies to ADM since 1980. All told, analyst James Bovard estimates that every dollar in profits earned by ADM costs taxpayers $30.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/ethanol-keeps-adm-drunk-tax-dollars

It would be even more if Bob Dole had been elected in 1996 ... he was really deep into ADM's pockets.
Just pointing out that SOME on here have been talking about the EVIL corporate subsidies, then say ethanol is good and we need to EXPLORE more alternative fuel sources.

That means more CORPORATE SUBSIDIES that these jokers CLAIM TO HATE.

Oh the irony.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not sure if i am correct.....but doesnt all of the lower gas prices have something to to with Saudi Arabia spanking Russia over exporting oil?
No, it is basically a form of economic warfare that Saudi Arabia is waging against Iran, and to a lesser extent Russia in retaliation for supporting Iran and Syria. The Saudis can afford to sell oil at a loss, whereas Iran (whose economy is already being crippled by sanctions over its nuclear program) cannot.

soberups

I wouldn't own a prius if they paid me to drive one.
I love my Prius. Its the best car I have ever owned. I'm a big guy so head and leg room are an issue in smaller cars and I am perfectly comfortable sitting in mine. It has plenty of power to keep up with traffic and cruise quietly and smoothly at 70MPH in the freeway. Its a tad gutless on hills, but for an honest 45-50MPG at the pump I can live with that.

soberups

There are better ways to produce ethanol that do not compete with food crops.

And as far as "subsidies" go, the US military presence in the Middle East and the invasion of Iraq has pretty much amounted to a 2 trillion dollar subsidy on oil...in the form of debt... that our great grandchildren will have to pay off.

If we "paid at the pump" for the ongoing costs of the war, gas would probably be $9 or $10 a gallon, which makes alternate sources of ethanol (algae, biomass, hemp etc.) start looking feasible. But that would require innovation and new ways of thinking. Its much easier to just keep borrowing money and fighting wars and bitching about $3 per gallon gas for our SUV's.

soberups

Honestly my mistake .
For what I hear from real prius owners is that all that weight from the batteries gives them excellent traction in the snow , who knew .
Actually, they don't do particularly well in the snow compared to other front-wheel drive cars because a lot of that additional weight is over the rear wheels (under the back seat and trunk) instead of being over the front wheels where you want it for maximum traction. Not an issue for me, I have tire chains for mine in case of emergency but if there is any snow on the ground at all I leave it parked and fire up my 1996 friend-250 4x4 instead.