Get your refund today!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.unionrefund.org/
Welcome to UnionRefund.org A new way to help American workers keep their working wages free.
Under the 1988 Supreme Court decision Communications Workers of America v. Beck every member of a union is entitled to a full refund of their dues that are not directly used for representing them. Until now though, it’s been almost impossible for any member to find out exactly how much their refund should be.
The process is simple. Choose your labor state from the list below. Fill out some basic information and UnionRefund will automatically generate a letter that you can print and mail to your union representative to claim your individual refund. UnionRefund will also send a courtesy notification letter to your union to ensure a quick resolution for your request. It’s that easy!

Step One - Select Your State
Step Two - Select Your Union
{ Teamsters local 25 is not listed }

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I tried to do this a while ago, not through this system. They still keep a portion of your dues, and they get to determine which part is used for their PAC, correct. If its 1 buck its worth it to me. Ill do it. I will pay for representation, but I dont vote like them, so I would like it back!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Do you really think the only thing the Union does is represent you in a grievance hearing? There are many, many expenses involved in running the local Union. If you have ever been to a meeting you have most likely been shown the trustees report. This is the report of all income and expenses for the Union for the month.

Do you think it would be nice to have a strike fund? How about the someone in the office to keep the books and pay the bills? You think thats all free? The Union dues you pay is a small price for all the benefits you get from your Union negotiated contract. As far as I am concerned anyone that thinks thry deserve a refund for dues is a SCAB!! No different than a non dues paying member!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When we were on strike I got 55 dollars from the strike fund.
I have no problem paying my dues, for the benefits I receive, I do not like my money going to a pac to support things I do not agree with.
You disagree, thats fine, does not make me a scab. I never crossed the line.

When we were on strike I got 55 dollars from the strike fund.
I have no problem paying my dues, for the benefits I receive, I do not like my money going to a pac to support things I do not agree with.
You disagree, thats fine, does not make me a scab. I never crossed the line.
Don't worry about the word SCAB, it is just another word similar to racist the intent in using it is to disarm you in a debate and put you on the defensive.

Do you really think the only thing the Union does is represent you in a grievance hearing? There are many, many expenses involved in running the local Union. If you have ever been to a meeting you have most likely been shown the trustees report. This is the report of all income and expenses for the Union for the month.

Do you think it would be nice to have a strike fund? How about the someone in the office to keep the books and pay the bills? You think thats all free? The Union dues you pay is a small price for all the benefits you get from your Union negotiated contract. As far as I am concerned anyone that thinks thry deserve a refund for dues is a SCAB!! No different than a non dues paying member!!
Of course the union has operational expenses as any business, I doubt anyone denies that. The union dues I pay are for the protection afforded me through negotiations of a contract, which includes wage increases, improvement of work conditions, etc. In the work condition category is the over 9.5 language which is pretty clear how that is supposed to work. Then the union gets back with with the company, after the fact, and cuts a deal that pretty much makes the language in the contract worthless for FT drivers of extended rtes the run more than 200 miles per day, the deal removes cover drivers from the over 9.5 language, as well as giving the company an out with wording such as " We have no where to move the extra work to", BS...put on another rte and you'll have a place to move that extra work. Isn't that supposed to be what the union wants? More drivers on the road everyday? This IS NOT the kind of representation I paid $ 50 a month for. SO, you tell me who the "SCAB" is?

Oh and for the record, when the union rep came by our picket line with the $55 checks I turned mine down. $55 bucks wouldn't have made a difference in my life at that time.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I see it as exactly how the debate gets heated. I wont go there, its not that important.
I have no problem paying my 75 a month, but I dont want any of my money going to anyones campaign, either party. I think the union has enough to do without telling me how to vote, and I never once bashed them.
Its kind of like telling me if I buy sugar, I must also buy salt.

grgrcr88

I see it as exactly how the debate gets heated. I wont go there, its not that important.
I have no problem paying my 75 a month, but I dint want any of my money going to anyones campaign, either party. I think the union has enough to do without telling me how to vote, and I never once bashed them.
Its kind of like telling me if I buy sugar, I must also buy salt.

The Union never tells anyone how to vote, the Union leadership may try to educate the voters in their local as to which candidates are more Union friendly and which ones lean towards big business. It is most definitely the responsibility of every Union member to try and educate others in the ways of politics and their affects on the middle class, working class people. It amazes me every day how the working class people continue to vote against their own interests. People get so hung up on the minor things and never even look at the issues that will affect their future. I know things like guns, immigration, gays and abortion are very emotional issues to people, but if they would put emotions aside and look into things like free trade agreements or social security and Medicare policies, they might realize that they are killing themselves by voting with emotions instead of brains. That is what the Union leadership tries to do. Oped the eyes of voters to the real issues at hand for the working class people. And I assure you, there is very little, if any of your dues money going to campaign funds. There may be money from other sources going there but I would be surprised if anymore than $1 a week of your dues money went to political funding.

As for the SCAB part. Any person that works in a Union shop, drawing Union wages and benefits without paying Union dues is a SCAB!!

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm under the impression that this "refund" is not for all the dues you pay, but the portion that can be attributed to things that aren't for representation. Can't think of too many things offhand, but at least my local will occasionally come around and have a cookout while doing things like updating address information and such. I don't have a problem with it, but I couldn't say the food and drink provided is for the union members representation.

That being said I wouldn't be against someone getting a refund on the part of their dues that isn't being used for representation.

Though I guess my view is a bit different since I'm voluntarily a union member in a right to work state.

The Union never tells anyone how to vote, the Union leadership may try to educate the voters in their local as to which candidates are more Union friendly and which ones lean towards big business. It is most definitely the responsibility of every Union member to try and educate others in the ways of politics and their affects on the middle class, working class people. It amazes me every day how the working class people continue to vote against their own interests. People get so hung up on the minor things and never even look at the issues that will affect their future. I know things like guns, immigration, gays and abortion are very emotional issues to people, but if they would put emotions aside and look into things like free trade agreements or social security and Medicare policies, they might realize that they are killing themselves by voting with emotions instead of brains. That is what the Union leadership tries to do. Oped the eyes of voters to the real issues at hand for the working class people. And I assure you, there is very little, if any of your dues money going to campaign funds. There may be money from other sources going there but I would be surprised if anymore than $1 a week of your dues money went to political funding.

As for the SCAB part. Any person that works in a Union shop, drawing Union wages and benefits without paying Union dues is a SCAB!!
The union most certainly tells people how to vote, just not everyone listens to them. You are correct, there are many issues that divide the political poles. Guns, gay rights and abortion are indeed emotion driven debates. However don't ever think they are unimportant. The issues that you are placing in sure high regards are emotional as well. When one uses their brain to decide how to vote need to realize that without the "Big businesses" there would be NO union jobs. UAW has pretty much proven that. How many people is UPS going to layoff in the coming year due to a change in the way they do business because the company is looking to save money in labor cost to continue to profit in the attempt to keep the investors interested? There has to be a balance somewhere, no company can continue to hand out huge raises without doing something to offset. No company can survive at a break even pace.

There are many things our government needs to change for our country to survive that will in turn allow companies to make a good profit, keep providing jobs and keep us all working. Crippling the businesses that provide jobs is not one of them.

You, grgrcr88, can keep using the type of dialog that is intended to shut down debate if you like but does not change the facts of life in the USA today.

Keep preaching the " Union knows what is best for everyone" line, you may end up with a job in your local.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That is my understanding. It is supposedly a miniscule amount.

The teamsters could better spend that miniscule amount getting to our building, and having cookouts, never saw one. If they acted like they cared, I could listen to the message.

Until then I dont need them to educate me how to vote, I have a computer, tv, conversation, radio, to find out what I want to know. I just dont think it should be their place.
I hear people have been waiting ages for grievances, they need to push UPS into those. Instead of worrying about politics.

And they really should back people who are business friendly, or we wont need a union, because there will be no companies to work for.

grgrcr88

. When one uses their brain to decide how to vote need to realize that without the "Big businesses" there would be NO union jobs. UAW has pretty much proven that. How many people is UPS going to layoff in the coming year due to a change in the way they do business because the company is looking to save money in labor cost to continue to profit in the attempt to keep the investors interested? There has to be a balance somewhere, no company can continue to hand out huge raises without doing something to offset. No company can survive at a break even pace.

There are many things our government needs to change for our country to survive that will in turn allow companies to make a good profit, keep providing jobs and keep us all working. Crippling the businesses that provide jobs is not one of them.

Really,
UPS Fourth quarter financials, numbers in millions:

Operating profit: Total operating profit 1,814 fourth quarter 2010 1,259 fourth quarter 2009, 555 increase, 44.1% profit increase

grgrcr88

that is my understanding. It is supposedly a miniscule amount.

The teamsters could better spend that miniscule amount getting to our building, and having cookouts, never saw one. If they acted like they cared, i could listen to the message.

Until then i dont need them to educate me how to vote, i have a computer, tv, conversation, radio, to find out what i want to know. I just dont think it should be their place.
I hear people have been waiting ages for grievances, they need to push ups into those. Instead of worrying about politics.

And they really should back people who are business friendly, or we wont need a union, because there will be no companies to work for.

do you act like you care by attending monthly meetings? Just asking!!!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Do you think it would be nice to have a strike fund?
Yes I do.
But how about something that is real.
Maybe you could start a campaign for let's say an increase from $55/wk.
How about you demand that Hoffa and company forgo their salaries during every strike and all that money be put into the strike fund.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm under the impression that this "refund" is not for all the dues you pay, but the portion that can be attributed to things that aren't for representation. Can't think of too many things offhand, but at least my local will occasionally come around and have a cookout while doing things like updating address information and such. I don't have a problem with it, but I couldn't say the food and drink provided is for the union members representation.
Nor are things like donations to youth sports leagues, charities such as the breast cancer walk, scholarships for children/grandchildren of members/retirees, or helping to support labor education programs.
That being said I wouldn't be against someone getting a refund on the part of their dues that isn't being used for representation.
Here, the figure is about 8.5%. For a package car driver, that would mean almost $31.00 a year.
Now, what doesn't that sly little website tell you? What do you forfeit by opting to become a service fee payer, instead of a member?
Though I guess my view is a bit different since I'm voluntarily a union member in a right to work state.
And I don't mean you, Nimnim. Rather, I'm referring to those in closed shop states.
[Actually, here, the savings would be more. Members in my local pay a special assessment in addition to the standard dues. I believe we have about 6 service fee payers.]

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
do you act like you care by attending monthly meetings? Just asking!!!!
I have in the past, yes. Do I make a habit of it, No..... guilty as charged. They are usually at 730, and Im generally still on the road with an hour drive home.

grgrcr88

Yes I do.
But how about something that is real.
Maybe you could start a campaign for let's say an increase from $55/wk.
How about you demand that Hoffa and company forgo their salaries during every strike and all that money be put into the strike fund.

I would be all for that. We have a stike fund in the central, if your local is counting on the international for a strike fund your in trouble. We have more than enough to last a good long time if it comes to it!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would be all for that. We have a stike fund in the central, if your local is counting on the international for a strike fund your in trouble. We have more than enough to last a good long time if it comes to it!!
I would go if you were at my meetings, LOL.:wink2: