in Article 52, Section 2. While working as a regular temporary
package driver, employees will go through the wage progression
outlined in this Agreement. Regular temporary package drivers
who may work one (1) day in a week will be given a full week’s
credit towards progression. If the employee subsequently gets a
regular full-time opportunity and is still in progression, the employee
will slot in at his part-time rate or will continue in progression,
whichever is greater.
Every day that you reported for work you should have been guaranteed 8 hours of work, and every one of those days should have counted for progression.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I thought I read he was new......he was pt?

He did not say, but they do not hire regular temporary package car drivers from the outside. These are current PT employees becoming regular temporary package car drivers to cover vacations, sick days, injuries, etc.

He said he del airs.....that's within the classification of the job he's trying to get

Not necessarily. Air drivers are in a different classification than package car drivers. And most air air drivers are PT employees. You can qualify as an air driver, and are still not qualified as a package driver. Two different classifications.

Every day that you reported for work you should have been guaranteed 8 hours of work, and every one of those days should have counted for progression.

Yes they should, if he is reporting to work as a temporary package car driver. I said that on the days he did not get 8 hours should count toward his 30, but if they asked him to report as an air driver, not a TCD, that day may not count.

You had a good point though that he was guaranteed 8 hours. I would let it slide right now though as long as that day counted. Get my 30 in and then don't let it slide again.

And if they did not need to use him as a TCD, and he came in to his PT job, this day did not count either.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

He did not say, but they do not hire regular temporary package car drivers from the outside. These are current PT employees becoming regular temporary package car drivers to cover vacations, sick days, injuries, etc.

Not necessarily. Air drivers are in a different classification than package car drivers. And most air air drivers are PT employees. You can qualify as an air driver, and are still not qualified as a package driver. Two different classifications.

Yes they should, if he is reporting to work as a temporary package car driver. I said that on the days he did not get 8 hours should count toward his 30, but if they asked him to report as an air driver, not a TCD, that day may not count.

You had a good point though that he was guaranteed 8 hours. I would let it slide right now though as long as that day counted. Get my 30 in and then don't let it slide again.

And if they did not need to use him as a TCD, and he came in to his PT job, this day did not count either.
In my local they can hire off the street as long as they bring a certain amount of people from the bldg first.......if he was a part timer and brought in as a driver not an air driver they cant change that day to day......and I agree that reg drivers and air drivers are 2 different classifications, what I said was del airs was within the reg drivers classification

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In my local they can hire off the street as long as they bring a certain amount of people from the bldg first.......if he was a part timer and brought in as a driver not an air driver they cant change that day to day......and I agree that reg drivers and air drivers are 2 different classifications, what I said was del airs was within the reg drivers classification
They hire temporary package drivers off the street?

While I agree that they shouldn't change it day to day, there is nothing stopping them. On days where there is no route to cover, he may drive air or just do his PT gig.

He does not have to work 30 days in a row as a TCD. He could just be used when needed and hope he gets his 30 days in and let him qualify.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

They hire temporary package drivers off the street?

While I agree that they shouldn't change it day to day, there is nothing stopping them. On days where there is no route to cover, he may drive air or just do his PT gig.

He does not have to work 30 days in a row as a TCD. He could just be used when needed and hope he gets his 30 days in and let him qualify.
Here temps are called seasonals usually hire guys only in the freeze period give them hopes of becoming full time then they lay them off jan 10......other than that we have a few full time cover drivers but no day to day temps.......in your local do they have any rules on how many temps they can use vs full time drivers?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Here temps are called seasonals usually hire guys only in the freeze period give them hopes of becoming full time then they lay them off jan 10......other than that we have a few full time cover drivers but no day to day temps.......in your local do they have any rules on how many temps they can use vs full time drivers?
The OP is qualifying to be a temporary package cover driver, not a temporary driver to be used during the free period.

Atlantic Supplement

ARTICLE 63 - PART-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 2 - Part Time Employees (Regular
Temporary Package Drivers)

Seniority part-time employees may work as full-time regular temporary
package drivers.

1. The Company agrees that regular temporary package drivers
will be used to cover absentees, vacations, time off due to injuries,
and long term illness in the package classification provided they
meet all Company required qualifications and training.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The OP is qualifying to be a temporary package cover driver, not a temporary driver to be used during the free period.

Atlantic Supplement

ARTICLE 63 - PART-TIME EMPLOYEES

Section 2 - Part Time Employees (Regular
Temporary Package Drivers)

Seniority part-time employees may work as full-time regular temporary
package drivers.

1. The Company agrees that regular temporary package drivers
will be used to cover absentees, vacations, time off due to injuries,
and long term illness in the package classification provided they
meet all Company required qualifications and training.
We dont have temp cover drivers