GOV Scott Walkers Final Blow to his citizens before getting thrown out!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nothing worse than self hating union members. Hope all the upsers that voted for walker end up at FedEx ground. Enjoy those Benifits!

I think you are overreacting a bit.

There is considerable difference in Private sector unions and government unions.

brown bomber

brown bomber
the people in Wisconsin have spoken.........granted the intelligentia, in Madison....have voiced displeasure.........however they are in the minority....ergo...BUSINESS AS USUAL.....wait till the next election...put youir own (viable) candidate up.......this recall probably cost the state tens of millions of dollars.......which the libs could have used to fund their own agenda

over10.5

@ hoax- I wouldn't say im overreacting. It's ok for ups employees to have awesome Benifits & a pension. But if it will cost you a extra $5 a year in state taxes for the state employee to have a decent wage and benifit package cut it? Seems hypocritical and very much the American way these days. Though you are in management.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Indeed, a defeat for wisconsin democrats. An ugly loss for the money spent on both sides. What I find more amazing is the gop faithfuls support of taking away from the middle class and giving to the top 1% in tax cuts.

Without even considering that they are slashing the throats of the middle class, they boldly support the taking away of benefits.

I say, give them what they want. If they want to pay police, fire , teachers and nurses less, than do so. See what happens. See if a policeman will risk his life for you for half the pay, see if a firefighter will risk his life to run into your burning house and risk his life for half the retirement benefits, see if a nurse will speed up her assistance for half the pay and no benefits when you walk in bleeding to death.

CUT CUT CUT, and see what happens.

Peace

TOS

I see you still can't keep your "facts" straight and have to repeat typical talking points again.

island1fox

Hoax,

I gave a specific example of a contradiction with Maddow. ON my example I have even heard Hannity agree with PResident OBama on the drone attacks.

Liberals or Conservatives being Consistent with their principals is what I described.

Also my comment was not a direct shot at upstate.

I am not enthralled with HAnnity nor MAddow but from an INdependent view I observe more contradictions from the left.

brown bomber

brown bomber
pick a side....then evaluate...then make a thoughful decision.....as far as I'm concerned, get rid of the whole bunch....they've not really impacted me, however...they could have done better

Catatonic

Nine Lives
@ hoax- I wouldn't say im overreacting. It's ok for ups employees to have awesome Benifits & a pension. But if it will cost you a extra $5 a year in state taxes for the state employee to have a decent wage and benifit package cut it? Seems hypocritical and very much the American way these days. Though you are in management.

If it was $5 a year, we would not be having this discussion.
State and local government's cost for employee compensation including benefits has risen 10 fold in the last twenty years.
Employee cost for state and local governments is a large part of their budget.
The decent compensation is what is being worked towards.
UPS unionized employees are one of the few bastions left of the 1950 - 1970 labor structure.
You should keep the fact that you are at the pinnacle of structured compensation in mind when you make comparisons.

Many drivers and part-timers on here have demonstrated they can think logically rather react emotionally so its not just management.

island1fox

Hoax,

I also believe a very big part of these problems involve increased life spans.

Both the left and the right can agree that with Medical advancements people are without a doubt living longer. You cannot have either a private employer or a government job offering things like 25 and out.

You cannot hire a 21 year old driver at UPS and then expect him to retire at 46 and collect a great pension until he is eighty --just does not work.

Even Social Security with people starting to collect at 62 and live into the 80's or 90's --does not work.

People may not like it --but reality must be faced .

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Hoax,

I also believe a very big part of these problems involve increased life spans.

Both the left and the right can agree that with Medical advancements people are without a doubt living longer. You cannot have either a private employer or a government job offering things like 25 and out.

You cannot hire a 21 year old driver at UPS and then expect him to retire at 46 and collect a great pension until he is eighty --just does not work.

Even Social Security with people starting to collect at 62 and live into the 80's or 90's --does not work.

People may not like it --but reality must be faced .
I spite of all the likes you received, I have to wonder if anyone has done the math.

If you take SS early, and live to 80, the SS system actually saves money on you. You would receive more money by waiting.

If you think you can do a physical job into your late 60's, you must have worked for a different company that I did, or give your center manager something he couldn't get elsewhere.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I spite of all the likes you received, I have to wonder if anyone has done the math.

If you take SS early, and live to 80, the SS system actually saves money on you. You would receive more money by waiting.

If you think you can do a physical job into your late 60's, you must have worked for a different company that I did, or give your center manager something he couldn't get elsewhere.

SSA uses 84 as the "death date" of the average person.
If you use the NPV (Net Present Value) of money and look at starting at age 62 or age 67, the person will receive the same amount of "equalized" funds. Assuming you start drawing at 62 and you live past 84 you get more. If you die before 84 you get less.
I never did the calculations but I have had 3 different financial advisers explain it the same way over the years.

As to doing "a physical job into your late 60's", I agree.
And it is not just the physical aspect of it. UPS is a stressful place to work for all employees.

I retired from UPS at 58 and I am working a second career in a less stressful occupation.
My savings and living below my means while at UPS allowed me to do this.

I think this is the logical solution to the dilemna you layout.
Rod retired from UPS as a driver and got a job with the city where he lives.
Ask Rod about your scenario.