Grievences

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why are they still stewards,are they voted in or appointed?How about your B/A's?

Voted in as far as I know, but I don't know as a fact either way. In one of our Teamster Local pamphlets (sp), one of our stewards went on record as saying his purpose as a steward was to eliminate all grievances that were "unnecessary". It is just my opinion but necessary is in the eye of the beholder rather and it is not the stewards job to be that judge and jury but the mediator.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe if the 98% does not settle a year early for garbage language and actually believe they deserve a fair contract they will receive one!?

Be honest; You made the mention of new grievance language in your previous post just to extract the response I gave, giving you leverage to retort with that, didn't ya? ;/

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe if the 98% does not settle a year early for garbage language and actually believe they deserve a fair contract they will receive one!?

And PS, since you're "in the know" as far as Teamsters goes, you could at least comment and validate or negate the comment I made about the 2008 ntnl contract reducing the number of meetings per year of the Grievance com.... or maybe since it has no bearing on you, you weren't aware...

aikiernie

In my opinion a stewards job is to enforce the contract on a day to day basis,and your right without bias.I think too many stewards try to play politics and let all the bull___get in the way.Why don't you set up craft meetings to educate members about what's going on and maybe make progress instead on letting it just happen!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Be honest; You made the mention of new grievance language in your previous post just to extract the response I gave, giving you leverage to retort with that, didn't ya? ;/

And PS, since you're "in the know" as far as Teamsters goes, you could at least comment and validate or negate the comment I made about the 2008 ntnl contract reducing the number of meetings per year of the Grievance com.... or maybe since it has no bearing on you, you weren't aware...
I believe that we need to start keeping a wish list as of now. Dragging out the process should not be allowed and they should be resolved with a certain time frame.

I'm not sure how many times that the panel meets for the national, here we meet monthly and its still not enough

705red

Browncafe Steward
ARTICLE II. NATIONAL GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE

Section 1. Function of Committee

(C) The National Grievance Committee does not have jurisdiction to continue to act as a
“designee” in order to hear lower panel deadlocks. IBT Director of Parcel and Small Package
Division and UPS Vice President of Labor Relations, or their designees, will meet three (3) times a
year
in conjunction with the Western Region Panel to hear Western Region and Northern
California Supplemental deadlocks. If the cases remain deadlocked they shall then be subject to
arbitration in accordance with the Northern California or Western Region Supplement, as
applicable. After two (2) years, this special procedure may be cancelled by the IBT Director of
Parcel and Small Package Division or the UPS Vice President of Labor Relations​

austin

I have been a steward for 4 years. I have solved 50% of the grievances with whomever the center manager is at that time. I would estimate that the majority of the others are settled between myself,the center manager and the BA. Anything that has ever been sent anywhere higher then that has ALWAYS been kicked back down to us. The company knows this. So deals need to be made within the facility. Grievances must be warranted. Consider the source. A driver who routinely calls in sick, runs and hour and a half over, gets hurt twice a year and consistently has service issues doesnt get heard when he files a grievance for working over 9.5 ....so sad. If a good driver files a grievance for a supervisor working ,that driver gets paid every single time. When we sign grievances as an entire group they get heard as well. My only advice would be set up a meeting with your steward,BA and center manager to get to the bottom of this.