Guaranteed Pay for FedEx part-time handlers

!Retired!

One time for a week they say they were hiding a secret package on one of the trucks and if we missed it during PST we would not get guaranteed pay.
I thought it was a joke but I found the secret package one day under a seat in one of the trucks. it was just a envelope that said if found return to a manager
do other stations do that?
Never heard of managers doing that. But, I wouldn't doubt they do that to make sure you do a proper PST. But, not getting minimum's because of it?

Southeast Hoss

That is crazy! Who checks their oil everyday? nobody
Used to have a manager put notes on your oil dipstick telling you to come see him. If you didn't visit him, he knew you didn't check your oil and a stern warning was issued before he took it any more serious actions.

outtatime

Wow, the only times the hoods are lifted is for the DEF sprinters, or making sure you haven't lost your coolant. Managers in my station acknowledge that we have no real time to do a proper under the hood check and suggest we aim for at least once a week. I pop the hood when I fuel up.
So you basically falsify the VIR every day? What about the 4 minutes you're supposed to put on your time card everyday for said pre-trip?

Oldfart

That is crazy! Who checks their oil everyday? nobody
People who do their job properly and want to CYA. Just had a girl get terminated a few months back for ruining a motor in a Sprinter. Signed the VIR saying she checked the oil, but didn't and the oil was very low. Motor blows and she is gone.

STFXG

People who do their job properly and want to CYA. Just had a girl get terminated a few months back for ruining a motor in a Sprinter. Signed the VIR saying she checked the oil, but didn't and the oil was very low. Motor blows and she is gone.
They have sensors for that. Checking the oil is a waste of time.

outtatime

They have sensors for that. Checking the oil is a waste of time.
Yeah, since those sensors are soooo reliable and do not alert until the oil is dangerously low. Whether or not you think it's a waste of time, the VIR states it must be checked and is considered falsification by signing it but not really checking. My guess is, you don't really know how to check oil.

STFXG

Yeah, since those sensors are soooo reliable and do not alert until the oil is dangerously low. Whether or not you think it's a waste of time, the VIR states it must be checked and is considered falsification by signing it but not really checking. My guess is, you don't really know how to check oil.
I've never had a faulty oil sensor in my fleet of sprinters. The ones that I maintain myself. I'm sure I know more about them than you do. But go ahead and check that dipstick.

Oldfart

I've never had a faulty oil sensor in my fleet of sprinters. The ones that I maintain myself. I'm sure I know more about them than you do. But go ahead and check that dipstick.
Thats funny. The engine that was blown up by the young lady was a Sprinter. The guy that parked it before she got in it should have been at fault but she didn't check it, locked it up, she is gone. What does the sensor do? It sure didn't save her.

STFXG

Thats funny. The engine that was blown up by the young lady was a Sprinter. The guy that parked it before she got in it should have been at fault but she didn't check it, locked it up, she is gone. What does the sensor do? It sure didn't save her.
I'd suspect there's more to the story. Why did the dummy light not trigger? (Sensor goes off at 1/4 quart low). Why was it low on oil in the first place? Was it burning oil already or was it leaking oil? How did they conclude the cause was low oil?

Sounds more like they wanted her gone and found a reason to pull the trigger. WAD and check the oil. It's a waste of time but you're all paid by the hour.

Oldfart

I'd suspect there's more to the story. Why did the dummy light not trigger? (Sensor goes off at 1/4 quart low). Why was it low on oil in the first place? Was it burning oil already or was it leaking oil? How did they conclude the cause was low oil?

Sounds more like they wanted her gone and found a reason to pull the trigger. WAD and check the oil. It's a waste of time but you're all paid by the hour.
I never heard of a sensor going off at 1/4 quart low. I have driven many a Sprinter that was lower than that and I never got a warning. What diesel doesn't stay 1/4 qt low, especially one with 300k miles like most of ours. I guess you wait to get an oil light in your personal car before you check that oil as well. You ask was it burning oil or leaking it? LOL That is funny I don't care who you are.

How did they determine the cause was low oil? LOL When they pulled that little stick out of the motor, we call it a dipstick, you call it a waste of time, there was no oil on it and the oil pan did not have a crack in it when the motor let go.

STFXG

I never heard of a sensor going off at 1/4 quart low. I have driven many a Sprinter that was lower than that and I never got a warning. What diesel doesn't stay 1/4 qt low, especially one with 300k miles like most of ours. I guess you wait to get an oil light in your personal car before you check that oil as well. You ask was it burning oil or leaking it? LOL That is funny I don't care who you are.

How did they determine the cause was low oil? LOL When they pulled that little stick out of the motor, we call it a dipstick, you call it a waste of time, there was no oil on it and the oil pan did not have a crack in it when the motor let go.

Really showing your age here old man. Read up on the sprinters and you'll see about the sensor. You've "driven" many sprinters. Makes you a good source of knowledge.
Why wouldn't it matter if it's burning or leaking the oil? It would lead to the cause of oil consumption or loss. Failing turbo seals could've been pulling oil in to the motor which would take out a cylinder. Or if it was leaking oil and the main bearing was the failure then why wasn't the leak repaired? Can't blame her completely for not pulling the dipstick. I still don't believe a faulty sensor was the cause, or that you know how they checked the motor after. I really don't care to argue with someone who's only experience with these trucks is climbing in the seat... and pulling a dipstick.

I only pull the dipstick to check the oil in my trail rig. Modern vehicles have sensors to check the oil. Stick to your knowledge on vehicles from the 70s. You know, back before you started losing your mind.

Oldfart

Really showing your age here old man. Read up on the sprinters and you'll see about the sensor. You've "driven" many sprinters. Makes you a good source of knowledge.
Why wouldn't it matter if it's burning or leaking the oil? It would lead to the cause of oil consumption or loss. Failing turbo seals could've been pulling oil in to the motor which would take out a cylinder. Or if it was leaking oil and the main bearing was the failure then why wasn't the leak repaired? Can't blame her completely for not pulling the dipstick. I still don't believe a faulty sensor was the cause, or that you know how they checked the motor after. I really don't care to argue with someone who's only experience with these trucks is climbing in the seat... and pulling a dipstick.

I only pull the dipstick to check the oil in my trail rig. Modern vehicles have sensors to check the oil. Stick to your knowledge on vehicles from the 70s. You know, back before you started losing your mind.
Whatever you say boss. Guess none of your Sprinters leak oil.

There is a reason they call warning lights IDIOT LIGHTS

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Your oil pan is cracked, and you're about 4 gallons low. Aren't you a big-time RTD like me? Bet you back as well as you talk...like crap. Do they keep you ina straight truck on Heavyweight so you can have an automatic?

Your IDIOT LIGHT is always lit.

Oldfart

Your oil pan is cracked, and you're about 4 gallons low. Aren't you a big-time RTD like me? Bet you back as well as you talk...like crap. Do they keep you ina straight truck on Heavyweight so you can have an automatic?

Your IDIOT LIGHT is always lit.
Not in heavyweight. I went back to a station. Still classified as a RTD from when they made changes to the routes and I decided to jump back on a route and serve as an "as needed" RTD, not a swing. Still get paid and haven't been needed in a long time. We actually had a couple of old cab-overs we were using, don't miss that climb everyday. I move a trailer around the station every now and then but other than that, am in a 700 or a reach unless I use a sprinter for a change of scenery.

I am sure you are the best RTD we have. Keep up the great job and make us all proud.