guard took employee ID at guard shack

gman84

First off I am sorry if this is not the right area to post this or if it was covered else where. I honestly did not see it at all.

I know UPS does not allow cell phones in the hub unless it has an issued sticker to prove that it is actually yours.. well.. I don't have one on mine as I will usually just leave my phone at home when I leave for work.. well.. I ended up accidently taking it with me yesterday as I did not have time to drop it off at my house before having to leave for work because I was running behind and would have been late. well later that day after my shift I was walking out, and leaving and had to pass security at the guard shack. I guess my phone set off the detector and because I had my phone on me the guard took my employee ID.. sooo my question is.. if anyone knows wtf is up??
do I get my ID back at some point?? am I fired??
I honestly don't know and am confused.
I really don't want to lose my job and I feel this would be a VERY stupid reason to have.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
First off I am sorry if this is not the right area to post this or if it was covered else where. I honestly did not see it at all.

I know UPS does not allow cell phones in the hub unless it has an issued sticker to prove that it is actually yours.. well.. I don't have one on mine as I will usually just leave my phone at home when I leave for work.. well.. I ended up accidently taking it with me yesterday as I did not have time to drop it off at my house before having to leave for work because I was running behind and would have been late. well later that day after my shift I was walking out, and leaving and had to pass security at the guard shack. I guess my phone set off the detector and because I had my phone on me the guard took my employee ID.. sooo my question is.. if anyone knows wtf is up??
do I get my ID back at some point?? am I fired??
I honestly don't know and am confused.
I really don't want to lose my job and I feel this would be a VERY stupid reason to have.
Probably going to give it to one of your management sitters who will explain to you that cellphones are not allowed and would you please be so kind to leave it in your car in the future.
He will then thank you for your hard work and to keep it up because you are a
Great American

gman84

I hope that's all it really is.
I have to take a 30 minute walk to work so leaving it, or dropping it off somewhere was not an option for me being that I was already running late and not at home

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I hope that's all it really is.
I have to take a 30 minute walk to work so leaving it, or dropping it off somewhere was not an option for me being that I was already running late and not at home
Unless there is more to the story, your job isn't in jeopardy for having a cell phone. Depending on your local rules/contract you could get reprimanded.

SisyphUPS

We should establish that you are an hourly employee and not a low-level supervisor. If you are hourly, you are protected under the contract: Progressive discipline. If you are management, better luck at your next job.

MendozaJ

You won't be fired, but you better think of an option that doesn't place you in the same situation. How about just getting the sticker?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The guard is not management, much less even an employee of UPS.

Why would you ever surrender your ID to him?
Exactly.
I had security demand my I.D.
I told them they could....bite me.
They said they would file an "incident report".
Management laughed when I called and described the "incident"

I still ask how that report is going every time I see them.

(full story after I retire lol)

browntroll

guards cannot take my i.d. since they are hired through an agency and not direct UPS employees. the worst they can do is tell their boss
about me doing anything wrong lol same goes for the low level loss prevention in my hub.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Tomorrow explain to your short-handed boss that you won't be in since a security guard took your ID. See how fast you get your ID back. In some hubs cell phone theft is a big problem. I can see LP's point. Just get a sticker.

working up a sweat

At my hub's gaurd shack they have a locker area where you can lock up your phone.

They have signs saying you can't bring in any phones or recording devices.

In actuality there are about 20% of the employee's that can bring them in. They use the excuse of 'in case of family emergency.'

All of the FT sups have one. It is a necessity for communications. They also use them to take pictures of lousy load quality of inbound feeders.

km3

All of the FT sups have one. It is a necessity for communications. They also use them to take pictures of lousy load quality of inbound feeders.

My FT supes only use their phones to play game of war.

Everybody is allowed to have phones here. Most areas have multiple chargers, as does the guard shack. It's amazing how different one hub can be from another, in terms of policies like this.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Tomorrow explain to your short-handed boss that you won't be in since a security guard took your ID. See how fast you get your ID back. In some hubs cell phone theft is a big problem. I can see LP's point. Just get a sticker.
What cracks me up is how they issue these stickers like chicklets, while never rostering who they give them to.
Each sticker has a corresponding number, but they have no record of these numbers and who possess them.
I routinely find strips of them laying around the hub when it is the flavor of the week.
When I ask my managers if they would like to buy a strip, they aren't amused?
It is a typical half ass managerial effort, designed to provide the illusion that they are reducing a liability.

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here they log the stickers but unless you cross check every time it is essentially window dressing. I was told on some phones the serial number they record would allow your phone to be cloned.