Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Ever hear of adrenaline? Ever hear of panic?

If the reports are true and the first shot was fired when the cop was flat on his back and getting beat down by a 295 lb man, is it possible that the cop might have subsequently panicked and spazzed his way thru a full magazine?

People...even cops...don't always make rational decisions under the influence of panic and adrenaline. That doesn't make them criminals or murderers. If the cop truly was was getting beat down and fired the first shot in justifiable fear for his life, then adrenaline and panic might very well be mitigating factors when judging the justification for the subsequent shots.

"Get the :censored2: onto the sidewalk", what a great way to start an interaction with someone. Sounds like a real nice guy, I'm sure he didn't over react at all. Shooting someone when they have their hands above their head surrendering is murder I don't care how amped up the cop was.

oldngray

nowhere special
"Get the :censored2: onto the sidewalk", what a great way to start an interaction with someone. Sounds like a real nice guy, I'm sure he didn't over react at all. Shooting someone from 30 feet away when they have their hands above their head surrendering is murder I don't care how amped up the cop was.

That still hasn't been proven to be what happened.

bbsam

Staff member
No, but they have cynically manipulated racial issues for personal gain in a manner that MLK would have found disgusting.
We'll never know. They may not be the best spokesmen, but they are the ones who get the spotlight for a serious and ongoing problem of inequality of opportunity and justice. You can hate the messenger, but that doesn't make the facts disappear.

oldngray

nowhere special
There are multiple eyewitness accounts now that he was shot in the back running, and shot multiple times again after he turned and put his hands up. How many eyewitness accounts do you need?

Some of the eyewitness testimony is questionable. And witnesses will often see what they want to see instead of what actually happens. What will decide the case is forensic evidence which takes time.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Some of the eyewitness testimony is questionable. And witnesses will often see what they want to see instead of what actually happens. What will decide the case is forensic evidence which takes time.
So if the forensic evidence comes back and says he was shot in the back from a distance would you call that murder?

bbsam

Staff member
Ever hear of adrenaline? Ever hear of panic?

If the reports are true and the first shot was fired when the cop was flat on his back and getting beat down by a 295 lb man, is it possible that the cop might have subsequently panicked and spazzed his way thru a full magazine?

People...even cops...don't always make rational decisions under the influence of panic and adrenaline. That doesn't make them criminals or murderers. If the cop truly was was getting beat down and fired the first shot in justifiable fear for his life, then adrenaline and panic might very well be mitigating factors when judging the justification for the subsequent shots.
I hope for the for the officer's sake (if he is charged) that this is not going to be his legal defense strategy.

oldngray

nowhere special
The DOJ was upset about the convenience store video (that showed Brown assaulting the clerk and stealing the box of cigars) being released so more details may be slow to come.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So if the forensic evidence comes back and says he was shot in the back from a distance would you call that murder?
I would want to know what injuries, if any, the cop suffered. Did he have a concussion or a broken nose from being beat down by a 295 lb man? Did he panic? Was blood running down his face and blinding him? Did he take careful and methodical aim at a man with his hands raised, or did he spaz through an entire magazine while under the influence of adrenaline? Those are all mitigating factors that need to be taken into account before passing judgement.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I hope for the for the officer's sake (if he is charged) that this is not going to be his legal defense strategy.
Someone here posted a radio caller who claimed to know the officer's family. If we take that person's story as valid, it seems the officer is going to claim Michael Brown turned and "bum rushed" him (after he was already shot in the back twice). I'm not sure if forensics can tell if he was doing that while being shot or not. Eye witness accounts might be important here.