Half hour breaks?

Maui

I’m just saying that the bulk of ops managers’ responsibility is enforcing Memphis-manufactured regulations as opposed to actually doing things that affect the company’s bottom line.

It's often as much the region or district as MEM guiding the direction. I've managed a P&L and FedEx's FTE. I agree with you regarding the money, but even with a P&L there are productivity goals and costs associated with making or missing those goals.

Everything gets measured and the expectations for managers at FedEx is very high. There are good and bad managers at FedEx like everywhere else. Who couriers think are good managers and who the Senior and MD think are good managers don't always align.

IMO the MD guides the ship in US Ops more than anything. There are definitely times that local management disagrees with something, but it is their job to execute the plan. Sometimes there's room for variation and sometimes it is a clear directive. Discretion varies depending on the strategy.

Couriers often don't see the big picture. They usually don't have all the information and that isn;'t their fault. They are the experts on their routes and the most knowledgable about many parts of the operation. Courier input is valuable in making decisions.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
but even with a P&L there are productivity goals and costs associated with making or missing those goals.

Which is the point that the other guy doesn't get. His complaint was that his manager collapses a $19/hr PT route, gives the freight to a topped out FT courier who ends up with 2 hours of OT and that results in a net increase in wages paid despite a net gain in productivity. Productivity is a monthly goal and it's imperative to meet (and exceed) those goals in order to turn a profit.

Courier input is valuable in making decisions.

QUALITY courier input is valuable in making decisions.

59 Dano

And once again, you cower when challenged.

"I'm going to make an assertion that I can't prove, but I'll demand that he prove that it's wrong."

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

If your proof that it's correct is simply because you say so, then my proof that it's wrong is simply because I say so.

AB831

"I'm going to make an assertion that I can't prove, but I'll demand that he prove that it's wrong."

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

If your proof that it's correct is simply because you say so, then my proof that it's wrong is simply because I say so.
Hey, genius. My assertion is that most of the ops managers are talentless morons. That’s hardly a postulate requiring scientific analysis as you seem to be indicating because it’s my OPINION to which I’m 100% entitled. If you feel differently, that is your opinion to which you are 100% entitled. Are you good with that or do you need some kind of penance?

59 Dano

Hey, genius. My assertion is that most of the ops managers are talentless morons. That’s hardly a postulate requiring scientific analysis as you seem to be indicating because it’s my OPINION to which I’m 100% entitled. If you feel differently, that is your opinion to which you are 100% entitled. Are you good with that or do you need some kind of penance?

You told me to prove your wrong. I'm asking you to prove you right. :::Shrug:::

Regardless, if you think op managers are bad, you oughta put up with couriers who think they know more than ops managers!

Last edited:

AB831

You told me to prove your wrong. I'm asking you to prove you right. :::Shrug:::

Regardless, if you think op managers are bad, you oughta put up with couriers who think they know more than ops managers!
*you’re

For future reference, third-grade level grammar helps make your argument seem more cogent.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Which is the point that the other guy doesn't get. His complaint was that his manager collapses a $19/hr PT route, gives the freight to a topped out FT courier who ends up with 2 hours of OT and that results in a net increase in wages paid despite a net gain in productivity. Productivity is a monthly goal and it's imperative to meet (and exceed) those goals in order to turn a profit.
Makes more sense to measure productivity in $/hr rather than stops/hr.

After all, profit is measured in dollars.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
With your pay progression system that would probably open the door to age discrimination claims.
I was referring to package $/hr, not pay.

An efficient topped out courier can increase $/pkg over a entry level courier. Unfortunately, simplifying and making delivery more efficient doesn’t seem to be the focus.

It will be fine

I was referring to package $/hr, not pay.

An efficient topped out courier can increase $/pkg over a entry level courier. Unfortunately, simplifying and making delivery more efficient doesn’t seem to be the focus.
Doesn’t it kinda end up with a similar result? They can break down cost and revenue per package per hour and then determine the needed stops/hr to hit their profit goals.