Half hour breaks?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I didn't blame the salesman, I simply asked where he was.
First point of contact with the shipper, it's his job to get new customers and then retain them.

Secondly, the operation wouldn't be affected to the point of pulling my hair out as you would yours.

A courier handler would have serviced the account (me as manager), beyond lost revenue, it doesn't seem like to large a problem, not a huge hurdle.

If your salesman can't get off his ass and retain the business, the company as a whole loses revenue, your boss will be pissed as it will affect his numbers for bonus (all he cares about in the end) and your life will be miserable because your boss is pissed. The courier/ handler will possibly lose time/hours because he you lost a bulk pickup.

I can see why you failed as a manager.

I presented a scenario and a goal to be achieved, asking how it is to be achieved, and you insist on babbling about extraneous stuff in an effort to avoid answering the question. Or maybe your mind is just stuck on extraneous thinking.

It's as if someone asked the quickest way to drive from Point A to Point B, and you write two paragraphs about how there's no good reason why he should want to go to Point B.

59 Dano

Thank God. The doors and windows to every station would have been boarded up years ago if they had ever taken the training wheels off of 99% of those “managers.”

Here's a little secret: the revenues and expenses are already figured into the metrics that managers are responsible for achieving.

59 Dano

We all know that at the end of the fiscal year FedEx tightens the screws on all spending -- no uniforms, no paper towels/toilet paper, supplies, etc to save every penny so the company looks good. It's so important they drill it into all of the hourly employees every year. Yet they will bring someone in on their day off to work OT just to keep someone else from getting an hour of OT.

This company steps over dollars to pick up dimes all the time and we all see it. If FedEx hired competent managers, gave them an honest budget and then held them accountable you might see some amazing results.

When I was an ops manager I would occasionally offer the critics the opportunity to trade places with me for a week. They would receive two weeks of my pay. The only conditions were that they had to complete every task that I had to complete, handle any issues (within reason) that I would normally handle, and they were to be held to every standard that I was held to. They were told they would get a performance reminder if they failed horrifically enough, though I obviously wouldn't have followed through with that part.

No takers.

floridays

I presented a scenario and a goal to be achieved, asking how it is to be achieved, and you insist on babbling about extraneous stuff in an effort to avoid answering the question. Or maybe your mind is just stuck on extraneous thinking.

It's as if someone asked the quickest way to drive from Point A to Point B, and you write two paragraphs about how there's no good reason why he should want to go to Point B.
I see I'm getting in your kitchen.

Worry about providing excellent service for your customers, we do deliver and pickup their livelihood, that is the measurement of this companies success or lack of it.
Not P/FTE, SPH numbers.

The 3000 pieces you lost doesn't give a rats rear end about your P/FTE and SPH, that is not the measure they use to define excellence.

Again, where the hell is and was the salesman, if he was doing his job quite possibly you wouldn't be worried about these numbers a shipper doesn't know exist.

Also is it that much trouble to square your lost numbers that a courier/handler should have been servicing?

AB831

Here's a little secret: the revenues and expenses are already figured into the metrics that managers are responsible for achieving.
I’m well aware of that, Einstein. And why do you think that is? It’s because they lack the competence and business acumen to figure that out themselves.

AB831

When I was an ops manager I would occasionally offer the critics the opportunity to trade places with me for a week. They would receive two weeks of my pay. The only conditions were that they had to complete every task that I had to complete, handle any issues (within reason) that I would normally handle, and they were to be held to every standard that I was held to. They were told they would get a performance reminder if they failed horrifically enough, though I obviously wouldn't have followed through with that part.

No takers.
There probably weren’t any takers because you completely made up that story.

Last edited:

floridays

No takers.
That is complete
bsbullf.gif

Someone would have called your bluff just to get yurass fired.
Did you make the same offer to the Captain, First Officer, Flight Engineer you're an old school guy.

We are an airline don't cha know.

El Morado Diablo

No takers.

My station has always had senior couriers who've been asked to fill in for managers (vacation, training, vacant manager position, etc). None of these "volunteers" were in the ASPIRE/AIM program. They usually had no problem communicating info from Sr Mgr/Upper Mgmt, were able to manage routes & hours and make sure the AM/PM sorts went off without a hitch. Nothing a competent employee who understands the operation couldn't handle.

The problem is that the OPS mgrs/Sr Mgrs always seem to find a way to make it miserable experience because they have unreasonable expectations about everything else. Most of it is OPS mgr functions that the courier in charge can't perform. Instead of being grateful for the help they nitpick and question the judgement of the "volunteers" until they refuse to fill in again. Who wants to put up with that when you aren't even being paid for stepping up to help?

The common phrase you hear at our station is, "No good deed goes unpunished" anytime someone goes above and beyond to help the company.

59 Dano

I see I'm getting in your kitchen.

Worry about providing excellent service for your customers, we do deliver and pickup their livelihood, that is the measurement of this companies success or lack of it.
Not P/FTE, SPH numbers.

The 3000 pieces you lost doesn't give a rats rear end about your P/FTE and SPH, that is not the measure they use to define excellence.

Again, where the hell is and was the salesman, if he was doing his job quite possibly you wouldn't be worried about these numbers a shipper doesn't know exist.

Also is it that much trouble to square your lost numbers that a courier/handler should have been servicing?

Translation: "I dunno."

59 Dano

I’m well aware of that, Einstein. And why do you think that is? It’s because they lack the competence and business acumen to figure that out themselves.

Or because figuring it all in is easier, faster, and just as effective.

floridays

Translation: "I dunno."

The simple answer was in the last sentence.

It's not my problem if you have a pm pickup courier picking up a bulk that should have had a trailer dropped or a courier/handler pickup shrink wrapped pallets or doc bags with cons tags. Neither would affect your P/FTE or SPH if you knew how to run your operation in the first place.

You through pre-tripping your aircraft yet?

We are an air line don't cha know.

That's right, you're too busy worrying about P/FTE and SPH.

59 Dano

My station has always had senior couriers who've been asked to fill in for managers (vacation, training, vacant manager position, etc). None of these "volunteers" were in the ASPIRE/AIM program. They usually had no problem communicating info from Sr Mgr/Upper Mgmt, were able to manage routes & hours and make sure the AM/PM sorts went off without a hitch. Nothing a competent employee who understands the operation couldn't handle.

I agree. Decent employees should be (and usually are) able to handle a very limited number of duties are are most similar to the things they see and do every day.

The problem is that the OPS mgrs/Sr Mgrs always seem to find a way to make it miserable experience because they have unreasonable expectations about everything else. Most of it is OPS mgr functions that the courier in charge can't perform. Instead of being grateful for the help they nitpick and question the judgement of the "volunteers" until they refuse to fill in again. Who wants to put up with that when you aren't even being paid for stepping up to help?

The common phrase you hear at our station is, "No good deed goes unpunished" anytime someone goes above and beyond to help the company.

Some ops/sr managers could be less harsh in those cases. On the flip side, those who volunteer for those temporary tasks need to understand that there are expectations (and ops/sr managers need to make that clear if need be). Some -and these are strictly from my own anecdotal observations- are fine with it as long as everything goes smoothly. They don't take the challenges or problems that spring up seriously and attempt a half-hearted effort at solving them only to shrug it off with a "not my job, not my problem" attitude.

El Morado Diablo

Some ops/sr managers could be less harsh in those cases. On the flip side, those who volunteer for those temporary tasks need to understand that there are expectations (and ops/sr managers need to make that clear if need be). Some -and these are strictly from my own anecdotal observations- are fine with it as long as everything goes smoothly. They don't take the challenges or problems that spring up seriously and attempt a half-hearted effort at solving them only to shrug it off with a "not my job, not my problem" attitude.

I find this to be one of the most honest comments I've ever read from you (it's all in the delivery). I agree 100% that some of the couriers couldn't or wouldn't handle the responsibility when things didn't go smoothly. On the other hand, I felt bad for others who have and were thrown under the bus after exercising their problem solving skills.

Instead of giving BZ's for perfect attendance maybe the company should recognize people who are asked to step out of their comfort zone to help the company. If they make mistakes coach them up a bit instead of tearing them down. The best managers I've had actually talked to people. These days all they say is "Log on to Workday and acknowledge your OLCC".

Working4the1%

There probably weren’t any takers because you completely made that story up.

No takers.
That's a LAME story from a LAME Manager....First hard decision..for BBQ spend big on COKE or think station budget with CHEK cola?? hmmm what would DANO do

Working4the1%

I find this to be one of the most honest comments I've ever read from you (it's all in the delivery). I agree 100% that some of the couriers couldn't or wouldn't handle the responsibility when things didn't go smoothly. On the other hand, I felt bad for others who have and were thrown under the bus after exercising their problem solving skills.

Instead of giving BZ's for perfect attendance maybe the company should recognize people who are asked to step out of their comfort zone to help the company. If they make mistakes coach them up a bit instead of tearing them down. The best managers I've had actually talked to people. These days all they say is "Log on to Workday and acknowledge your OLCC".
I dont touch keyboards..disease ridden...ick