Harambe-The silver back gorilla

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Operational needs, May 31, 2016.

?

Do you think OpNeeds is the Purple Princess?

1. Oh yeah

47.6%
  2. Not really

4.8%
  3. Dave is a PRINCESS

42.9%
  4. Big Arrow Down is a Gorillaz

9.5%
  5. Tonyexpress is a Big Ape

9.5%
  6. Monkey Butt Sucks

19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

On Saturday, the Cincinnati Zoo had an incident where a 3 year old child entered a gorilla exhibit, resulting in the zoo killing the gorilla to save the child. There has been a major outcry against the killing.

Did Cincinnati Zoo really have to kill a rare gorilla? - CNN.com

Animal experts, Jack Hannah and Jeff Corwin have both said the zoo didn't really have a choice. What is your opinion?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I was hoping someone would set this up as a poll.

I think the zoo officials jumped the gun. The child was in no immediate danger and non-lethal measures should have been considered.

3. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

A child ? An animal ?
    No question!!!
    Save the child!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

It looks like they had no choice. There were 2 female gorillas they were able to get away from the child but the male was dragging the kid around and wouldn't let him go. A tranquilizer dart wasn't an option because it would take too long to knock him out. Tragic but the choices were either a dead child or a dead gorilla.

5. Operational needs

I tried to go back and make it a poll but it won't let me. @Monkey Butt can you edit my original post and add a poll?

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. Operational needs

That's not what the animal experts say.

7. moreluck

Put your granddaughter into this scenario......you'd be aiming the gun!! If that child was slammed into the wall and knocked unconscious, he would've drowned. So many scenarios, none of them good for the child. Wild animals are unpredictable and he was already agitated because of the screaming people.

8. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Guessing if they shot it with a tranquilizer
    ..it would have incited the gorilla ...even more

9. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

5-10 minutes for the tranq to take effect and it could cause unpredictable behavior in that time span.

10. moreluck

The experts say the tranq would've been too slow and the child would've been more at risk.

11. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Jeff Corwin and Jack Hannah are experts who have studied wild animals and their behaviors all their lives. I'm not going to go against them. I do believe the Cincinnati Zoo should send the family a bill for a rare silverback gorilla.

12. Operational needs

I agree. As horrible as the death of a rare gorilla, a child's life is more important any day.

13. Looks like another parent of the year award.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Operational needs

Yep, yet more parents failing to maintain control of their child in public.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. I blame the parents and the zoo. Their is no way he should have been able to get in the gorilla exhibit .

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

So now I'm a rotten parent just because my kid fell into the monkey pit? You try watching these little brats!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Billy Ray

Billy Ray God, help us all.....

The "parent" was probably updating their facebook status, or something equally as important.

18. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

Maybe we should ask @tonyexpress what he would do...what side is he really on?

19. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Shoot the mother.

20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The mom is already defending herself and the zoo's actions on facebook. Kind of a weak defense when her first act was to run to social media. Maybe she was distracted with her nose in her cell phone but she was correct in saying 4 year old kids can climb into almost anything.