Hello guys i'm new to the site and just had my tour

jesus_saves

I have only been here for a few months, but my experience is different than yours.
I think it really varies depending on your supervisors. When I do a good job I have received compliments and a thank you.
There are managers that look at their people as just another piece of equipment, but there are also good managers that realise that people work better when treated with basic respect.
I am not disagreeing with your viewpoint, just saying it is not that way everywhere in the company.

yea likewise man even the fulltime supervisor came in my truck and was talking to me about how good I been doing and if everything was okay

UnconTROLLed

perfection
yea likewise man even the fulltime supervisor came in my truck and was talking to me about how good I been doing and if everything was okay

That does not mean that it is for the right reasons. UPS has absolutely no care in the world about how long you last, as long as you keep pushing yourself to the maximum and risking injury to yourself.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Actually, since he's a seasonal temp hoping for a callback in January, this may be the one and only time that his job performance actually has any bearing on his career.

Very good point. I had lost sight of that, if it was mentioned in this thread.

We have a couple guys hired last month that are not seasonal temps, and some few last month that are. I'm not really sure where the line is drawn up this way. I wonder if UPS is hiring people perm and then pulling a switcharoo on them come layoff time. Wouldn' tbe the first time UPS "soda" ( say onething do another) is bubblin' up !

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
As I understood it, UPS doesn't hire seasonals for inside the building anymore, only for driver helpers. His performance won't matter much.

As to driver training saves, it's not true that everyone flunks out. Everyone you've talked to flunked out. It's not an impossible class. It's a hard class, but entirely passable. Before you get to go to driver school, they take you for a road test to see if you know how to drive a stick and if you follow traffic laws. Then it's a week of CBT's (computer based training) with some driving and delivery techniques thrown in. There's a couple thousand acronyms to learn (seriously, it seems that way). Don't sweat it brother, it's a long way off. See if you can get on Saturday air. And when your their, the best thing to learn is your start and stop routine. Everything is one slow fluid move, know exactly how many packages your getting knowing where they are. The one that'll help you the most is start up. On your way back to the truck, know what your next stop is, get up the steps put down your DIAD, get your key in the ignition and slapping your seat belt on all in the space of a few seconds. UPS wants you to have this down to 7 seconds. If your good, you can do it in probably 3. It seriously saves you time.

As I understood it, UPS doesn't hire seasonals for inside the building anymore, only for driver helpers. His performance won't matter much.

I was hired last week as a seasonal inside. HR was very clear that I would be let go at Christmas, and that if I get called back, the days while a seasonal would not count towards seniority.

jesus_saves

lastnight one of the hub managers came over to the truck i was loading and introduced himself to me. He told me that I was doing a pretty good job and I was one of the best new hires of this year and if I was planning on coming back in Jan. I replied yes and he said well we will start you back on jan 1 and that is when you will hit seniority. He also ask me how i'm liking the job I replied i'm loving it he said for real? even with the pay low pay for the hardwork. I said yes i'm looking towards the future so its no problem with me. Then he explained a long story to me about how he started then he said keep up the good work and left. So I think if I keep doing what i'm doing I should be okay guys. :D I just hope I don't get layed off next year cause I have alot riding on this job

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Houston could be a recession proof area with little or no layoffs then. It would make sense for UPS to keep a seasonal hire rather than hire off the street again. Most low seniority employees do get laid off January, but if your in a large building with lots of senior employees with optional days and sick days to blow in January, then you may not get laid off. Congrats though, it sounds like your hard work is actually going to pay off! It's an uncommon event at UPS.

jesus_saves

The canino hub is real big and alot of people in on my belt ever show up so I might be okay. Last night 3 people didn't show up no calls. and thats just about everyday but like I said the other day the truck that i'm on is busy everynight no one wants to do it and the dude got fired who was doing it so i might be okay

blackcircle

hard work not rewarded? it depends. if you're overworking yourself you will get more work.

I'm an unloader. I worked my ass off when I first started but my reason was to get on an extendo. Took 3 weeks and I haven't been off of one since. I've tried other jobs including sorting, I like unloading though so that's where I stay.

There's only 2 real reasons to start working at UPS and neither of them are money unless you're really desperate.

Management and the Supes will blow smoke up your ass though. I started during peak like you, they told me I could stay after peak if I wanted to even though I never originally intended to. They also said they'd only keep one person and it would be me, they hired 4 other people too. Take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

Peak doesn't count towards seniority, also ask for more money if they want to keep you that badly.

jesus_saves

lol i'm not going to ask for more money but the my sup is real cool and yes I take his word cause other people on my belt come up to me and say how much he brags about me. So i think i'm str8

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The inexperienced and naive sure do make me chucke. I can't speak for anyone else though. We've all been there, but no matter how many times I hear it and who it is, it's still worth a chuckle.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Last night I had a tour of the ups hub in houston. Everything seem real good. The work seem hard, but I know I can handle it because my heart will be in it. The benefits are the best from what I seen anywhere. Before the tour he let us know that is was a seasonal job and after dec. 31 if i'm right we all will get cut . From Jan- to early Feb he stated that he will be rehiring people who did good during the seasonal times. So thats a big plus for me. He also said since it was a small group doing the tour he said he would interview us after the tour. During the tour he let us know that this job isn't for anyone and that you will get cut and bruises. He let us know that your body will be really sore after the first few weeks. Se also said that he hired alot of people two weeks ago who are no longer with the company so he gave us time to think about what we are getting into and told us to come back tonight for the interview. I'm going back cause i'm still 100% interested in ups. What should I expect from the interview guys? What type of questions? What can I do to land this career at ups cause i'm not looking for a job?

Thanks in advance god bless you all!
After peak (at least in my center) we will have anywhere from 3-7 FT drivers laid-off because of lack of work. If anyone is lucky enough to get called back it won't be for a FT drivers position, but for a temp position (6 Monthes on, 6 off). I don't know of any seasonal employees making it to a full time driver without at least being a temp driver for 3+ years. Not sure of any other part off the country.