help needed with lazy co-worker

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Just to clear the air on my situation, the guy was a good loader to start with until the past peak season was in and he realized that if he was stacked out the super would catch him up. He just continues to do less and less as each day passes. This effects everyone on my sort because we are a small center with only 6 loaders. We only have about 4000 pieces a day and they are pretty evenly distributed. We have watched his productivity drop over the past six months and are forced to pick up the slack. Race was only brought up when he was confronted about his lack of effort loading. Rave was only brought up by him. Work loaded got shifted to different locations.

I came here to ask for help, not to be blasted or called a racist. I happen to live in a interracial family BrownShark so don't point fingers under false assumptions.

Okay, the truth comes out...the loader was infact at least an acceptable employee until recently.

H

hseofpayne

Brown Shark, I didn't want you to get away without your knowing I caught the racism in your "jacked up F350" comment. Thats a typical way racists like to describe white people, a backhanded way of calling them rednecks. Now what was it you were saying about this day and age and racism?

H

hseofpayne

BrownShark, I will give you one thing, we no longer hire through colleges. Do you know why? UPS was accused of discrimination( how dare they hire intelligent workers) and were forced to hire through the Dept of Labor. Was their hiring practice based on race or quality of applicants? Whatever the reason, when I look down the belts at the part timers we have now, black or white or whatever, I worry for the future of our company. Sooner or later the ones that will work will be out numbered by those that won't. What happens then?

dillweed

Our center is small, maybe 60 hourlies. Of them, nine or ten are black. For the most part they hang together and I don't blame them. They must certainly feel more comfortable with each other as I would if working with a majority of blacks. The good workers from this group don't seem to feel mistreated, it's mostly the slackers.

The whites slackers also gang together, they like company that shares their feelings of mistreatment. So there, race doesn't matter in this area. Slackers are slackers regardless of ethnicity.

When I started at UPS 15 years ago many of us were college students. Seems most of us took pride in our work and ability to survive the place. Lately it seems more and more take pride in their ability to get out of work. I'll tell you they just don't want to cooperate. Management can walk up to them and ask them to do tape-ups during slow times, they stand there like dummies, actually ignoring the sup. Second request, same result. Sup can't do anything but walk away and tell someone else to do it. Union or not, insubordination is just that and should be cause for termination. I watch this game, bite my tongue, dig in and do the work. There is a feeling of pride that comes not from the company, but from within. To hell with the lazies, I walk out of there satisfied with what I've done. Do they feel proud of themselves for being so worthless? Guess so. I work right beside a sorter, big guy, young and strong. He gets mad at the flow and says he will just slow down until they lighten up his load. I, a middle aged woman of average size, move over and bail him out many times during the day. This boob slowly plucks out the smaller pkgs and lets the heavies come down to me. I heave those muthers up over my head and actually enjoy the feeling of working muscle and strength. Boob-boy is cheating himself out of one of the best feelings in life and can go back to mama's house to play video games after the sort. I'll go home, mow the lawn, weed whack, sweat and enjoy being alive while this guy lives his life half dead.

I don't feel this country grew to be strong on the backs of this type people. They don't have enough backbone to carry any weight at all. Too many mexicans are crossing the border and living on our system without contributing. Don't take me wrong, I'm not slamming all of them because many are outworking americans every day. Chinese are also creeping in and taking advantage of this country illegally. Born and bred americans are slacking, crying for food stamps and not pulling their load. They may just suck more than anyone else because they have not had to escape the communism or poverty of the others.

I respect our teamster union reps but also see them catering to the slackers, filing ridiculous grievances and not telling them to muscle up and do the job.

One good thing is that many of the slackers do get themselves on the radar screen. Good workers do the best they can and gain a reputation for being productive. When slackers pull their tricks, missort, misload, and play slowdown games it affects everyone down the line. Our sups do follow up as best they can knowing that the good workers are simply working with what is thrown at them. Although the slackers aren't bothered by the disrespect of others those of us who do work well do get some respect.

I've ranted long enough now. Don't often offer strong opinions here but this subject just trips my trigger.

sx2700

Banned
Brown Shark, I didn't want you to get away without your knowing I caught the racism in your "jacked up F350" comment. Thats a typical way racists like to describe white people, a backhanded way of calling them rednecks. Now what was it you were saying about this day and age and racism?

Yeah, I caught that too, but I figured I stirred up the pot enough with this joker.:knockedout:

H

hseofpayne

It's not the first time he has resorted to such comments. He seems to get off on slandering southerners. If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious.

I was the only white guy on my high school basketball team, starting point guard. We played in a region where I never played against any other whites. I got called honkey, cracker, token whitey, 'nilla wafer, and that was by the opposing team AND the fans at away games. It was always funny to me, and it made them mad when I laughed at 'em.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
WHo's to say the person in question is really "slacking off" intentionally, or is just a slow worker, slow mover, not good at their job but does try? I haven't see any evidence either way. Maybe UPS just hired the wrong guy/gal and now they're stuck.

Most seem to be assuming that the person IS intentionally slacking off and holding up the system on purpose.

My post was just under the assumption that everyone is different, works differnet speeds, etc and the person in question may or may not be sabotaging the system.

about MYOB and work as directed - there's too many whiney people out there that will rat EVERYONE and anyone to management that don't work up to THEIR standard. This frustrates me as much as the guy slacking letting work build up and waiting to be bailed out all the time. Chances are this same rat will rat EVERYONE at some point when they see fit and will never believe that anyone compares to their own work abilities. Yes there are always as many of these types as the mopers....

I have to say that I agree with you here on this point. I recently had a loader that was splitting the belt and loading one vehicle. Everyone complained about him and it wasn't that he was doing anything on purpose. a) he was fairly new b) he was a little slower moving, which was an issue. c) he was a good worker just not in that spot.

Sometimes we put people in a position just expecting that eventually they will be okay. Instead we frustrate them as well as everyone else and lose them for no reason. When if we evaluate and make a change he /she may work out in a different position. Which is exactly what happened for this guy. We moved him and now he is very successful and doesn;t bear the weight of the entirebelt on his shoulders everyday.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I have to say that I agree with you here on this point. I recently had a loader that was splitting the belt and loading one vehicle. Everyone complained about him and it wasn't that he was doing anything on purpose. a) he was fairly new b) he was a little slower moving, which was an issue. c) he was a good worker just not in that spot.

Sometimes we put people in a position just expecting that eventually they will be okay. Instead we frustrate them as well as everyone else and lose them for no reason. When if we evaluate and make a change he /she may work out in a different position. Which is exactly what happened for this guy. We moved him and now he is very successful and doesn;t bear the weight of the entirebelt on his shoulders everyday.

Right on. This is exactly what I assumed the problem is (or was) when first reading the thread.

The employee in question had a good start with the company. SO it isn't the guy or gal "sucked" shall we say.

Then, ( imagination running wild here) - the I.E. geniuses began adding work, splits, trucks or whatever it was which made the emplyoee in question "give up" with trying to keep up because the task became impossible for them. I've personally had this happen ; a pull or sort that was working well, but slowly adding work and adding work until it was out of control and the job was no longer manageable like it once was. The only recourse is to slow down a bit and not let UPS number crunchers feel as though they can bully you.

It wasn't that he/she was bad from the start - they wouldn't make 30 days. I understood that much!

H

hseofpayne

Okay, the truth comes out...the loader was infact at least an acceptable employee until recently.

Your right, realizing "the truth" does change things. It makes this preloaders point that this sorry a@# could do the job if he wanted to very clear. This thread seems to be divided into those that have had sorry folks around them, them sorry folks themselves, and management that couldn't care less about work equity as long as the job gets done. Pretty soon we will be without the quality workers and have a lot of singers and dancers laughing at management.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Right on. This is exactly what I assumed the problem is (or was) when first reading the thread.

The employee in question had a good start with the company. SO it isn't the guy or gal "sucked" shall we say.

Then, ( imagination running wild here) - the I.E. geniuses began adding work, splits, trucks or whatever it was which made the emplyoee in question "give up" with trying to keep up because the task became impossible for them. I've personally had this happen ; a pull or sort that was working well, but slowly adding work and adding work until it was out of control and the job was no longer manageable like it once was. The only recourse is to slow down a bit and not let UPS number crunchers feel as though they can bully you.

It wasn't that he/she was bad from the start - they wouldn't make 30 days. I understood that much!

Here is a situation I ran into recently as a Sup:

I was on one belt with a pretty high volume. I had this loader (I will call him "gus") on my belt. Gus was my "go to" guy. He was a great loader stop for stop order almost alphabetical on a four (4) car set, total pieces 700-800 pieces. Worked his arse off!

They then moved me to a belt with a higher volume and I had a choice to take him with me, so I did. The set Gus was taking over was the heaviest set on the belt, 900 - 1300 pieces, obviously way more than the earlier set.

Gus was also in the end stop position so very visible to everyone (upper management). He would get behind...(a little) and sometime look a little sloppy on this set but was always done, and wrapped before the guy down the belt with only 600 pieces (which I always found amazing) anyway. I basically left him alone cause I knew he would be fine and he had the heaviest set, so I didn't want to piss him off.

Before you know it...they (UM) started harrassing me to get on his case. They got pissed at me because I would not scream at him. His planned PPH was on average around 246-256, this guy was operating everyday at actual 430-450 PPH. I mean really how much harder could I make the guy work? (seriously!?).

So they started going directly to him and harrassing him.

Here is my point to this whole long drawn out story:

One day Gus said to me...
"Ya know...I am one of the loaders here that gives a crap (<---not that word). I work my arse off everday. I come in everyday. I keep to myself everyday and do my thing everyday. If they want to continue to harrass me.. I can cut my production in half and act like half these other people who don't care and get away with murder and never have to show up, or always late"

Well, I understood Gus's point, I got it.
It is just so sad that my UM didn't.

:whiteflag:Gus had enough..:dissapointed:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Your right, realizing "the truth" does change things. It makes this preloaders point that this sorry a@# could do the job if he wanted to very clear. This thread seems to be divided into those that have had sorry folks around them, them sorry folks themselves, and management that couldn't care less about work equity as long as the job gets done. Pretty soon we will be without the quality workers and have a lot of singers and dancers laughing at management.

You missed the point! My point is, we still don't know the whole story. What made this person slow down? Was he targeted by management, then given 2 splits and finally had enough and slowed down because he was killing himself to keep up with what he had? You don't know, I don't know.

But that is how it works - upper management will get every last drop and still instruct sups to push their hourlies harder. There is a breaking point and we still don't know whether this guy/gal just decided to dog it because he CAN and WILL get away with it and no good reason - or because he HAD to as he's getting far more work than he can handle because of the standard he/she SET to begin with.

H

hseofpayne

You missed the point! My point is, we still don't know the whole story. What made this person slow down? Was he targeted by management, then given 2 splits and finally had enough and slowed down because he was killing himself to keep up with what he had? You don't know, I don't know.

But that is how it works - upper management will get every last drop and still instruct sups to push their hourlies harder. There is a breaking point and we still don't know whether this guy/gal just decided to dog it because he CAN and WILL get away with it and no good reason - or because he HAD to as he's getting far more work than he can handle because of the standard he/she SET to begin with.

Whatever, if the singing and dancing doesn't give you a clue, if you've never had a rte next to you be taken over by another driver only to have stops and pickups be added to you from that rte, only to see that guy get off b4 you every day, thenI guess you wouldn't understand, its a work thang! This guy came in here looking for help to avoid a bad situation, not to have the sorry SOB defended. If you have never been in his shoes, you would understand. I suspect you have been on the other side of this issue! Why don't you start a thread on how to do less work than most!

Overpaid Union Thug

Assumptions aside....if someone slows down simply because they don't feel like working as hard then that is lazy. If they slow down because they are beat then that is legit. Don't confuse the two.

H

hseofpayne

Assumptions aside....if someone slows down simply because they don't feel like working as hard then that is lazy. If they slow down because they are beat then that is legit. Don't confuse the two.

Some of these guys in here are sure in a hurry to come to the aid of the other guy. I have been in his shoes enough times to sympathize. I got fired once because management wouldn't step in and I would hate to see this guy lose his job. If the other guy is singing and dancing, I can imagine he knows he has gotten over on him and management,too. I know it probably eats at this guy, especially with all the stress that comes with splitting the belt~ that job sucks, I did it a couple years. Hang in there dude, this guy will get his one day, maybe in East LA!!!!

bellesotico

BOXstar
Just to clear the air on my situation, the guy was a good loader to start with until the past peak season was in and he realized that if he was stacked out the super would catch him up. He just continues to do less and less as each day passes. This effects everyone on my sort because we are a small center with only 6 loaders. We only have about 4000 pieces a day and they are pretty evenly distributed. We have watched his productivity drop over the past six months and are forced to pick up the slack. Race was only brought up when he was confronted about his lack of effort loading. Rave was only brought up by him. Work loaded got shifted to different locations.

I came here to ask for help, not to be blasted or called a racist. I happen to live in a interracial family BrownShark so don't point fingers under false assumptions.

The race card is played out. I'm bi-racial and honestly I have enough to deal with just waking up everyday. I have two teenagers! Thats got to be enough for anybody! Anyways..I don't have the time or patience to analyze every exchange with a co-worker or sup and contemplate every stereotype they may or may not be pegging me for.
I work my butt off because that is what I'm paid to do. If I don't pull my weight then someone else is gonna suffer for it, whether it be the preloader behind me..one of my drivers..or ultimately the customers.

I can't change my cultural background nor would I ever choose to, but there is no way in hell I would ever use it to excuse poor performance. In my opinion..to throw out the race card is to perpetuate all stereotypes surrounding the situation. In other words..why would anyone else think it unless you accused them of thinking it first? I don't understand that logic. To further illustrate my point let me share this..I had a couple misloads within a weeks span. I sucked that week no question. When my sup pulled me aside to discuss them with me..at no point did it ever occur to me that I was being targeted for any other reason but screwing up. Why would I? It is the sups job to keep employees on point. If your work performance becomes an issue it should be a reasonable assumption that someone is going to discuss it with you. Their personal opinion of you is just that..personal. Nothing you can do about it so don't add to it.

I also want to point out that the remarks made in another post about F350s..or whatever..
I don't get why that was necessary to get a point across. You can't combat negative stereotypes by throwing out your own..and even if you made a great point..credibility was lost by way of hypocrisy.

One other thing..to RandallJ..I asked in another post how you knew about the race stuff. Was a sincere question. You see..when I don't know the whole story..I ask questions before forming an opinion.
I don't think that it is fair to peg you as racist as you were simply relaying the story as it has unfolded for you. I don't think you intended this thread to be a debate over your personal feelings whatever they may be. With that said I'm sorry that you felt you had to explain yourself. You shouldn't have had to.

So yeah..sorry. Probably not going to be a popular opinion...but its mine and no one can take it from me. Life goes on.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
The race card is played out.

So yeah..sorry. Probably not going to be a popular opinion...but its mine and no one can take it from me. Life goes on.

I agree with you....the race card is getting so boring.

For some it is an excuse.
For others it is a reason.

It is just so boring. It should not matter what background or nationality or race you are.

People just need to do their job, or not for that matter...

No one is irreplacable!
They may not always get it right....
It may take a few folks...
But there is always someone out there...
That either wants or needs to work.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Whatever, if the singing and dancing doesn't give you a clue, if you've never had a rte next to you be taken over by another driver only to have stops and pickups be added to you from that rte, only to see that guy get off b4 you every day, thenI guess you wouldn't understand, its a work thang! This guy came in here looking for help to avoid a bad situation, not to have the sorry SOB defended. If you have never been in his shoes, you would understand. I suspect you have been on the other side of this issue! Why don't you start a thread on how to do less work than most!

They're talking about preloading, and you're talking about driving. at least stay on topic. PS have you ever worked inside and for how long?

H

hseofpayne

They're talking about preloading, and you're talking about driving. at least stay on topic. PS have you ever worked inside and for how long?
Having work shifted to you from another worker sucks if its right next to you on the belt or 10 miles across town, smartazz. You still have to do the work. And yes, if you read my post earlier, you would see that I was on the preload for 5 years; actually 4 years and 11 months cause I got fired for a month for beating the hail out of a guy on the preload who insisted he should Do Less Work Than Most. The union got involved to get his job back, but my center manager insisted we BOTH get our jobs back. The guy who would Do Less Work Than Most made it another couple months , got fired for being late too many times. This kid who started this post I reminded me of myself, and don't want him to go down the path I chose of beating the hail out of a guy who insisted he should Do Less Work Than Most. In this enviroment we work in today, I don't think he would get his job back. Besides that, calling him a racist only serves to confirm stereotypes he may have already. I don't consider myself a racist, but if I get called one enough times, especially when they use their own racial slurs to do it, I sure know how to play one. To me, the "R" word is thrown around with much the same ease as the "N" word in our culture, and I find the "R" word to be just as offensive.