Helpful Hints to survive as a UPSer.

bigbrownhen

Thought this would be a good place for us to share a few tricks we have learned to ease or prevent the common pains of the job. I.E., knees, backs, shoulders, ect...

My right hip has been aggrivating me a little the past few months. If I sit with my ankles crossed too long, or even at night it would get to hurting and wake me up.

I take an ibuprophen from time to time, but don't care to take pills much. In the last week or so, I have tried placing a pillow under my right thigh at night. It has worked wonders. The ole hip isn't hurting as bad, getting better day by day, and I sleep like a baby.

Hope this will help someone if they have the same problem.

satellitedriver

I do that pillow trick, every night.
Works wonders for sleeping.
During the day I have no real aches, but for some reason at night having a pillow between my legs, or on the side supporting them stopped me from tossing and turning during the night.
Couple of beers before bedtime does not hurt either, but that is my poison of choice.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I have a sup who was an unassigned driver for 15 years because he wanted to be before he became a sup. He ran those routes better than the regular drivers (verified by other people) all the time. He attributes it to his photgraphic memory.

Anyway . . . the point is that he once told me methods are so important and that he followed each and everyone (as in lifeting and lowering, hand rail etc.) because when he retires he wants to enjoy it and not be in a wheel chair, using a walker, or not be able to walk for long distances. So my only advice is to work safe. . . and buy stock in bio freeze and icy hot. :-)

CustomerConcern

I've got the uber orthotics, rode the Bio-freeze train, icy hot, ibuprofin like candy....only to find out I have been fighting with Rhuematoid Arthritis all the time. Methods are great, stretching prior to work, using the gym, all are excellent ways to preserve what you got. Sometimes you're just dealt crappy cards.

jimstud

Banned
Stud, we used to have a few "retirement" runs in my center. These were country runs with a lot of miles and fewer packages. They still have a lot of miles but a lot more packages (and stops).

we had the same thing . they are all gone now. there are no real cupcake routes anymore.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm going to suggest to not skimp on the shoes. Buy quality and it makes a difference. Every few years I fork over the money for a new pair of Rockports.

satellitedriver

Once again,
a thread morphs away from the original topic.
Hen wanted to have a thread that shared Helpful hints.
Good shoes are vital.
Correct body mechanics are essential.
And, that certain mental attitude -( which is impossible for me to define)-.
Drugs, of any form, are for relief of immediate pain, not long term ongoing pain.
-( unless it is a degrading condition such as arthritis or any other forms of degenerative disease. M.S. ect.....)-
Hint;
Fluids are essential all year around, not just in the high heat months.
Dehydration has many symptoms

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. Get involved with your local union.
2. Invest in quality boots. Dont wear cheap tennis shoes.
3. Take your lunch and breaks, even if it means service failures. Its their dispatch, let them solve the problem.
4. Learn to draw healthy boundaries. Dont enable. Force your management team to accept the consequences of their poor decision making rather than helping them put a BandAid over the problem by taking shortcuts or skipping your lunch.
5. Be 100% honest in everything you do. If you screw up...admit it. Lying will get you fired, honest mistakes wont.
6. Remember that management has their own best interests at heart, not yours.
7. Remember that the "time study" for your route was never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place. It was intended to create a "standard" that you can only meet by working off of the clock. Dont buy in to the scam. Its just a number, it doesnt mean anything, and if they dont like it they can fix it themselves.
8. Place your safety, and the safety of the public, before everything else. People are more important than packages.