Helpful Hints to survive as a UPSer.

trickpony1

bigbrownhen-
Have you tried stretching your hamstrings before going to bed?
Tight muscles can move bones.....sometimes in undesired ways.
I stretch the hams every night. I alternate 2 minutes per leg, 4 times while I watch TV.
Do a internet search for "hamstring stretch". It's the muscle and tendons that attach below the knee and above the hip. If yours are tight it may be altering the geometry of your hip causing pain.
Some people think the hamstring is the muscle that attachs to the heel and above the knee. It's not. That would be the "gastrocs". while you're at it stretch that too.
Good luck.
Okay.....some one post something smart.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
bigbrownhen-
Have you tried stretching your hamstrings before going to bed?
Tight muscles can move bones.....sometimes in undesired ways.
I stretch the hams every night. I alternate 2 minutes per leg, 4 times while I watch TV.
Do a internet search for "hamstring stretch". It's the muscle and tendons that attach below the knee and above the hip. If yours are tight it may be altering the geometry of your hip causing pain.
Some people think the hamstring is the muscle that attachs to the heel and above the knee. It's not. That would be the "gastrocs". while you're at it stretch that too.
Good luck.
Okay.....some one post something smart.

Smart as in smartass or smart as in intelligent? You got the intelligent part, I'm sure someone will cover the smartass part ............ :happy2:

Tony31yrs

1. Get a system down that works for you. Use a routine that allows you to do the job without driving crazy and running so that you stay healthy.
2. Work for the weekend. Just keep telling yourself, "Only a few more days." Once the weekend or vacation is there, try not to think about work at all.
3. If possible, take a route with a newer package car. I had a newer car with power steering, brakes, and finally an automatic for my last 11 years
and my body felt a lot better.
4. Try Glucosomine Chondroitin. I went for a routine physical and my Dr noticed that my knee cartilage was a little loose. I told him that you don't jump off a UPS truck for 25 years without some deterioration and he suggested it. Some Drs disagree, but it seems to have helped my knees, unless it was just a combination of that and the newer car with the lower step. It's worth a try though. It's supposed to help cartilage repair in a natural way.
5. Don't bring the job home with you. I saw a lot of drivers over the years that were on the verge of a nervous breakdown because they couldn't ignore the harassment and always took the job home with them. It's not good for your mental or physical health. It aggravates management more when they can't see that they are getting to you.

These hints helped me make it through 31 years at UPS and I got out fairly healthy mentally and physically and I am now happily retired.

jimstud

Banned
Once again,
a thread morphs away from the original topic.
Hen wanted to have a thread that shared Helpful hints.
Good shoes are vital.
Correct body mechanics are essential.
And, that certain mental attitude -( which is impossible for me to define)-.
Drugs, of any form, are for relief of immediate pain, not long term ongoing pain.
-( unless it is a degrading condition such as arthritis or any other forms of degenerative disease. M.S. ect.....)-
Hint;
Fluids are essential all year around, not just in the high heat months.
Dehydration has many symptoms

i am sorry i know you have never gone off topic

bigbrownhen

Do unto others. At work and in life. I don't care if they are hourly or management, treat them as you would like to be treated, even if they don't do that themselves. Take the high road and be the better person. You will be alot happier if you do.