Here we go again...robots

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I heard a rumor yesterday that they are trying to make more hubs automatic. It is sad. Makes me a little bit nervous about our future. Well actually alot nervous.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Would say, send your kids to robot fixing school, but they'll have robot-fixin' robots, and then......Genesis IS Skynet.
image.jpeg

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
I heard a rumor yesterday that they are trying to make more hubs automatic. It is sad. Makes me a little bit nervous about our future. Well actually alot nervous.
I heard that as well... Rubus™ Is one of the automated systems that are suppose to replace unloaders soon. It sucks as I am a unloader but I do understand technology advancement as it relates to efficiency. I can say I wouldn't mind operating a automatic system lol!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I heard that as well... Rubus™ Is one of the automated systems that are suppose to replace unloaders soon. It sucks as I am a unloader but I do understand technology advancement as it relates to efficiency. I can say I wouldn't mind operating a automatic system lol!

That is why --- you need to improve yourself. Don't think loading or unloading is a future.

PT Car Washer

I would not worry about being replaced by a robot until that robot cost less then $10/hr to operate. I am guessing they cost hundreds of dollars an hour right now.

dudebro

I would not worry about being replaced by a robot until that robot cost less then $10/hr to operate. I am guessing they cost hundreds of dollars an hour right now.
Your assuming the human and the robot have equal productivity. Not the case. Plus, you also assume our expense for a new unloader is the $10/HR salary. Also, not true.

PT Car Washer

Your assuming the human and the robot have equal productivity. Not the case. Plus, you also assume our expense for a new unloader is the $10/HR salary. Also, not true.
I am assuming the human can out perform the robot and when the human breaks you just throw him away. The biggest expense for the $10 unloader is finding enough workers to work for $10/hr.

JL 0513

So far, we're dealing with delivery ideas that deliver one small package at a time in a not so timely manner - drones/"starship robots". No need for us drivers to worry until highly advanced androids hit the streets to do everything we as drivers do. Of course by then, that would mean the vast majority of today's jobs would no longer exist.

Funny how human beings are racing so quickly to replace every last job. I know we can't stop technological advancement, but it seems we are over eager to replace every task. One of those things is driving. So many companies are spending countless millions to eliminate human drivers. One problem, driving is the single most common job.

dudebro

I am assuming the human can out perform the robot and when the human breaks you just throw him away. The biggest expense for the $10 unloader is finding enough workers to work for $10/hr.
The rubus mentioned above is a different methology entirely for unloading. It has been demonstrated to unload as much as 10-12 people, with one person operating it with a joystick.

As I said before, talking about the PT pay sounds good, but as someone who was an hourly and a supervisor in a large hub in 1988 when the PT pay was triple minimum wage, turnover was just as high then. The 1982 hourly wage of $8 works out to $20 today. It would be nice if we could pay people that, but I don't think that's the world we live in anymore.

brett636

I am still wondering who will be able to afford to consume all these goods and services that will be produced by robots when fewer people have an income.

dudebro

I am still wondering who will be able to afford to consume all these goods and services that will be produced by robots when fewer people have an income.

In an optimistic view, everyone can have everything they need working 20 hours a week, because automation does make everyone more productive collectively.

In the pessimistic view, people live in tent cities while robot owners are trillionaires.

Vote carefully...

brett636

In an optimistic view, everyone can have everything they need working 20 hours a week, because automation does make everyone more productive collectively.

In the pessimistic view, people live in tent cities while robot owners are trillionaires.

Vote carefully...

I suppose it all depends on how you look at things. Like in your optimistic view, who is to say what we really need, and where is the room to build the life we really want? Maybe in the future a standard job at 20 hours a week will provide what you want, but that may not be true of your neigbor who could desire something more or just different.

I tend to take the more pessimistic view of how things could work out, and some people suggest minimum guaranteed incomes as a fix. Although that goes against my principles as a conservative so I just hope that there will still be jobs for people to work once our robot overlords have taken over.