Amazon already bigger delivery company than UPS and FedEx by volume.

anonymous23456

UPS and FedEx are no longer the largest delivery companies in the US

They only launched delivery about 8 years ago (took a few years to go national) and as of 2022 they deliver more pieces than we do. No doubt much more small pieces vs our larger parcels.

Just nuts how fast they grow in everything they set out to do. I know UPS isn't chasing volume anymore but it's still something significant to note.
It is because they ship the products they sell on their online store, and it is huge.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
UPS and FedEx are no longer the largest delivery companies in the US

They only launched delivery about 8 years ago (took a few years to go national) and as of 2022 they deliver more pieces than we do. No doubt much more small pieces vs our larger parcels.

Just nuts how fast they grow in everything they set out to do. I know UPS isn't chasing volume anymore but it's still something significant to note.
They did it right under our noses by pitting UPS, FedEx and the USPS against each another in bidding wars for the volume.

They then used the inflated profits to build their network and infrastructure to eventually compete against those who made it all possible.

Had all three entities had the vision and sense to push Amazon off with higher, comparable prices to their other customers, they may have hastened Amazon's delivery network growth and may not be looking over their shoulders now, wondering when Amazon will start offering delivery and pickup services to their other existing customers.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The drivers work 10 hour days, but only 4 days a week so as not to pay overtime. $19 a hour.

Last edited:
Their low wage business model has they exhausting available personal. It's a revolving door there, huge turnover.
Screenshot_20231127-145145.png

JL 0513

It is because they ship the products they sell on their online store, and it is huge.
What makes this crazy is that it's just their own stuff. UPS and USPS still deliverers millions of packages for them and this is still the case. So one retailer is shipping more packages than UPS's entire customer base from across the entire economy - hundreds of thousands of businesses vs one.

anonymous23456

"Essentially Amazon is a cloud provider that offers a logistics intermediation to publicize its brand?" or "You could look at it the other way. Amazon is a retail logistics behemoth subsidized by a cloud business arm."

To really old UPS guys, "cloud provider" is not Apache rain dance! I repeat it is not.

RangerMan06

UPS only has themselves to blame. We could have ended Amazon's delivery plans on day one by simply telling them that if they deliver one package that UPS will no longer deliver ANYTHING for them. Amazon did not have the infrastructure to make all their deliveries then but we helped them so we could hit numbers.
We have too many corporate knuckleheads worried about hitting their quarterly numbers, so they make their bonuses and not looking ahead long term.

Next Day Err

They did it right under our noses by pitting UPS, FedEx and the USPS against each another in bidding wars for the volume.

They then used the inflated profits to build their network and infrastructure to eventually compete against those who made it all possible.

Had all three entities had the vision and sense to push Amazon off with higher, comparable prices to their other customers, they may have hastened Amazon's delivery network growth and may not be looking over their shoulders now, wondering when Amazon will start offering delivery and pickup services to their other existing customers.
Classic prisoner’s dilemma.

Next Day Err

UPS only has themselves to blame. We could have ended Amazon's delivery plans on day one by simply telling them that if they deliver one package that UPS will no longer deliver ANYTHING for them. Amazon did not have the infrastructure to make all their deliveries then but we helped them so we could hit numbers.
We have too many corporate knuckleheads worried about hitting their quarterly numbers, so they make their bonuses and not looking ahead long term.
They would’ve just went with another carrier and signed loooong contracts with them. We would’ve screwed ourselves.

BrownSnowFlake

Do we really want all Amazon’s crap? I never heard that it was very profitable. Seems like it would just be a lot of bloated volume when most of our facilities are currently stretched way past their original design capacity. We’re already too big to fail.

Of course I’m not a UPS executive and I don’t have the data in front of me. I’m just making assumptions. I think it’s safe to assume that Amazon consoomer junk has a much lower margin than the critical healthcare NDA we’re focusing on now.