Herman Cain's 9-0-9 Plan

TUT

That was Bachman's trick and it's old. She said 666 because the devil is in the details. Gee, have you heard the new one? What do you get when you merge FedEx and UPS ???

LOL, I don't think this one is that old.

Currently tuned out of real current politics at this time, wake me when something good happens.

brett636

UPSTATE, what you miss in the 9-0-9 plan is the elimination of the minimum wage. Thats his trade off. This elimination places more people into the poverty level and CAINS gift back to these people is a 0 percent income tax.

How nice of him.

Peace.

I maintain that the minimum wage increases unemployment so it needs to be eliminated.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPSTATE, what you miss in the 9-0-9 plan is the elimination of the minimum wage. Thats his trade off. This elimination places more people into the poverty level and CAINS gift back to these people is a 0 percent income tax.

How nice of him.

Peace.
artificial setting of wages is just wrong, period.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When I was a waitress, I was making 1.18. The beauty of it was, I was making about 15.00 an hour in tips. And at the time you only had to claim minimum wage which I think was like 2.35. People were still using cash, it was a rareity to have someone tip on a credit card. Then I got a waitress job in a better restaurant, and in one night I could haul it in. sometimes over 200 bucks! That was the early 80s, late 70s. I dont know how it works now. I know I always tip in cash.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When I was a waitress, I was making 1.18. The beauty of it was, I was making about 15.00 an hour in tips. And at the time you only had to claim minimum wage which I think was like 2.35. People were still using cash, it was a rareity to have someone tip on a credit card. Then I got a waitress job in a better restaurant, and in one night I could haul it in. sometimes over 200 bucks! That was the early 80s, late 70s. I dont know how it works now. I know I always tip in cash.

It's nowhere as good these days, 90% of customers add the tip to their credit card payment so it's all on the books. In addition most restaurants now have a "tip out" policy which is total bs imho. You can still make good money at a high end place but it's not what it was.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Having worked in both a "burger joint" and an upscale restaurant (Tangier's ,you know it Tooner?)...I may charge my meal, but we always leave cash for the tip.

island1fox

If there is a minimum wage there should also be a maximum wage. It is a symptom of a much greater problem with this society.

Sleeve,

Let me see if I understand your point. I open a business. I invest and risk my money. I pay tax and hire employees that pay tax. In my business I have to work 7 days a week fifteen hours per day .
You believe that besides the thousands of permits and government regulations that I have to deal with not only can the government dictate what I must pay my employees --they can tell me the maximum salary I can pay myself ????:sad-little:

50 years later I have a company worth billions of dollars and thousands of employees. I still pay taxes and my employees pay taxes to the government. My employees are the best paid and have the best benefits in the industry. I have made a huge contribution to society. The government still should have the right on what salary I pay myself ?

Sorry, that is not the United States -----Maybe China or the old Soviet Union.

wkmac

Sleeve,

Let me see if I understand your point. I open a business. I invest and risk my money. I pay tax and hire employees that pay tax. In my business I have to work 7 days a week fifteen hours per day .
You believe that besides the thousands of permits and government regulations that I have to deal with not only can the government dictate what I must pay my employees --they can tell me the maximum salary I can pay myself ????:sad-little:

50 years later I have a company worth billions of dollars and thousands of employees. I still pay taxes and my employees pay taxes to the government. My employees are the best paid and have the best benefits in the industry. I have made a huge contribution to society. The government still should have the right on what salary I pay myself ?

Sorry, that is not the United States -----Maybe China or the old Soviet Union.

Island, you are reading Sleeve all wrong but then I'm not surprised either. Read this earlier post by Sleeve and then read the post again to which you commented.

artificial setting of wages is just wrong, period.

I hope this provided a different perspective.

wkmac

Wkmac,
No problem. I did not read the earlier post. Sleeve I do get yout point.

Thank you wkmac.

Understand. Sleeve and I have talked before about not only minimum wage laws but even labor laws and we agree much in that these laws should be abolished and that both type laws actually harm labor instead of helping it. Some here love to classify Sleeve as liberal but I consider him a liberal in the classical liberal sense of which I respect and appreciate that about him. It was classical liberalism (as opposed to our modern neoliberalism) that was the bedrock foundation behind many of the Jeffersonian principles that help shape our nation. Sleeve IMO expresses many of those values and ideas once you abandon the Ministry of Truth political constructs!

jmo