Hiring and Retaining Quality Employees

dex 84

Fedex isn't doing this anymore. Only about half the new hires are what I would consider to be quality employees, and less than 1 in 3 of them are making it to 5 years.

Before long they'll need twice the workforce to get the same job done.

SmithBarney

Fedex isn't doing this anymore. Only about half the new hires are what I would consider to be quality employees, and less than 1 in 3 of them are making it to 5 years.

Bingo, hopefully that's the reasoning behind the purported raises coming this fall, our staffing has increased to the point that most FT are struggling to get 7hrs a day, and those that aren't are getting paid guarantee pay(which I bet will go away soon)
The new hires off the street(and a few insiders ramp guys) are just not equipped for this job, can't read a map, can't even use one that's been marked up for them. And most lack the work ethic required. Like the PT guy who got hired, and then said I didn't know that PT was every day... WHAT!? so he quit

dex 84

Bingo, hopefully that's the reasoning behind the purported raises coming this fall, our staffing has increased to the point that most FT are struggling to get 7hrs a day, and those that aren't are getting paid guarantee pay(which I bet will go away soon)
The new hires off the street(and a few insiders ramp guys) are just not equipped for this job, can't read a map, can't even use one that's been marked up for them. And most lack the work ethic required. Like the PT guy who got hired, and then said I didn't know that PT was every day... WHAT!? so he quit

I've worked PT jobs that were 8 hours a day but only 2-4 days a week. That's much preferable to what PT at fedex is...

SmithBarney

I've worked PT jobs that were 8 hours a day but only 2-4 days a week. That's much preferable to what PT at fedex is...
But the point is, that the guy didn't even think to ask throughout the hiring process.. well FEDEX if you offer low wages, you get low quality....

vantexan

We really are all Ground now.

dex 84

But the point is, that the guy didn't even think to ask throughout the hiring process.. well FEDEX if you offer low wages, you get low quality....

He should've known it before he even applied if he read the job description. It either says Mon-Fri, Tues-Sat, or Mon-Sat with a day off during the week. Oh well, they can always find someone equally incompetent to replace him...

Swngdrvr

My station can't keep employees long enough to get them to courier school. We lose 2 out of 3 within the first two weeks. Been that was since last year.

Serf

This is so true. It's like the job description says: "Must have 4 limbs and a pulse." The seniority list at the station from 2008 to present is a revolving door. Literally nobody stays. And the people they bring in are amazingly always worse than the ones that just left. And the people who remain steadfast and hard working get the "no good deed goes unpunished" treatment.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

High turnover is incredibly expensive for a business. Apparently, we are so underpaid that a revolving door of employees exiting makes no difference to The Weasel.

BootsOnTarmac

I believe a new hire should work the sort: loading and offloading cans / trucks for at least 3 months. Regardless if they have been hired as a handler, material handler or a courier. This will weed out the poor souls who don't know what this job is about. No high School education will prepare you for this job, just a good work ethic that comes from within and most likely from your parents. Even though FedEx Express no longer requires High School / GED for handlers, I have seen many that excel at their job. My fedex wish is for those without a GED will be helped by FedEx to obtain that goal and move up. I have seen Material Handlers hired off the street, expected to operate a 50000 pound K-Loader mating to a 50 million dollar aircraft within a month or 2 of being hired. I doubt UPS or even DHL would do that in the first year.

Star B

White Lightening
Not really. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you are worth it.
Doesn't mean that you are worth it, but if the job pays well... it means that the job will be desired because of the high pay. With a job being desired, people will line up for the job. Those in said job will keep the job because it is desired, not just a "oh, well, I can go work at McDonalds for the same amount of money and do half the work" type of job.... which increases work ethic and drive.

Let's put it this way, it's how People-Service-Profit should work. Not the current ProfitServiceProfit model that is currently running the roost.

Gone fishin

Doesn't mean that you are worth it, but if the job pays well... it means that the job will be desired because of the high pay. With a job being desired, people will line up for the job. Those in said job will keep the job because it is desired, not just a "oh, well, I can go work at McDonalds for the same amount of money and do half the work" type of job.... which increases work ethic and drive.

Let's put it this way, it's how People-Service-Profit should work. Not the current ProfitServiceProfit model that is currently running the roost.
Thank you. Someone understands. Not saying express guys are better This sums it up

bacha29

In certain ways, yes that is correct. In the end the labor market will dictate wages. Right now most local labor markets favor the employer allowing the employer the opportunity to hire whoever he wants under whatever terms he chooses. Xjocks take a look at the ongoing erosion of you wage, healthcare and pensions plans and tell me that this is not the case.