How do whole pallets go missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

UPS Freight recently lost my shipment 11 days ago. I'd sure appreciate some insight from you insiders about how this sort of thing happens and what (if anything) can be done to increase the likelihood of it ever being found.

The item being shipped isn't something I can replace, so I'm not concerned about being compensated for the loss. I just want UPS to find it.

The last scans I can see indicate that an intermediate freight terminal loaded my pallet onto a particular trailer for transport to a facility a few miles from me. The folks at the nearby terminal didn't find the pallet when they unloaded the trailer.

I've spoken to the OSD folks at both terminals. The folks at the intermediate place insist that if the trailer manifest included my pallet, it was definitely on there. The local folks say that the trailers coming from that location are routinely over/short, but that trailers from that terminal typically come in pairs and the second trailer usually evens things out.

Given the above, I don't have much faith in the folks at the intermediate terminal. Maybe that's standard procedure, and I shouldn't be surprised that trailer manifests don't reflect what's actually loaded?

Anyway, is there anything I can do to improve the odds here?

The locator team doesn't seem to be doing much other than sending emails to a small handful of terminals. When those emails don't get responded to, nothing more happens. I'm pretty sure they don't give a damn.

How can I light a fire under folks to actually make an effort here?

Would filing a police report (which I'll need for my own insurance/taxes anyway) help?

Surely UPS has loss prevention folks. Is it ridiculous to think of involving them?

I'm not in a hurry to receive this shipment. It's already a relic, so days or weeks don't matter. Still, I worry that time lost reduces the likelihood of finding it and increases the probability of damage.

Thank you for any insight you can share about what really goes on at the terminals and how I might be able pull strings at UPS to make the right things happen.

bbsam

Staff member
I would have to assume that they do but I would think with all of their freight either palletized or oversize they really shouldn't lose any of them along the way.
True, but after 11 days I would think something would have to happen...unless it was stolen.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a sticky at the top of the UPS discussion forum for customers with lost shipments.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.