How does a pilot get a job flying a ups plane?

drewed

Shankman
i believe they go to upsjobs.com i think the airline still does its hiring off of that......if fly wide body air craft expect to be domiciled in ANC for awhile...

brownrodster

It's like any job at UPS. Start as a part time package handler. When a pilot position in your building opens up it goes to the highest seniority person who wants the job.

over9five

Staff member
While on the picket line in '97, we had several pilots join us. One had started as a package handler at MANNH.

LiL"Comet"

About 3 weeks ago I took the guys that work on my air belt to our air hub for them to get an inside look of what goes own in a nightly basis there. A field trip if you will, I spoke with one of the three pilots leaving that night before they left about his job. Very interesting what he had to say about it the others pilots acted as if they were to good to speak with little owl me. He did say he started as a pkg handler and had already started getting flight hours before starting at UPS. I enjoyed seeing what happens and it was good for the guys to see the bigger picture of what they have a part in every night.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Flying experience might help and filling out a job application wont hurt either. Its like the guy that wants to win the lotto but wont buy a ticket, you wont find the winning ticket on the sidewalk.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a UPS pilot that lives on one of the routes I used to cover. Sounds like most UPS pilots moved here from other airlines. The work rules/schedules are also very, very different.

If I understood things, there are only 3 hubs in the US (for bid purposes) and very few bid "regular routes." Bid packages are posted every 6 weeks (I think, I am going off the memory of a discussion 2ish years ago) for 2 week schedules.

If you read through the contract, you will see some language regarding riding jumpseats. That is for pilots and other crew to get to their "work starting terminal." Pilots do not typically fly from one airport to another and back.

Someone has to predict our air volume, in advance, in order to dispatch the proper number of planes and crew. That volume changes weekly/seasonally.

I thought it was incredibly interesting. I also learned that at peak, I am spending more time with my family, than a pilot does the rest of the year.

Hotel living SUCKS. The pilot life is not for me.

TB

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a very good looking young gal who worked part time evenings. First she decided she wanted to learn to fly so off to the local airport she went and got all the pilot ratings they offered. Then she decided she wanted to fly for UPS so off she went to the big city. She got a job at a regional airlines while she was working her way up the ladder. The last I heard she was flying big shots and rock stars around the world in private jets. I can't imagine her wanting to haul cardboard anymore.:peaceful: