How long have you seen someone worked before they make book?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by you aint even know it, Jan 22, 2014.

1. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

Besides casuals. Some guys in my center have been working here for around 9 months, and haven't made book! What if they make a year but haven't made book, are they entitled to benefits?
  2. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

I don't understand how this is possible if IBT has a presence in your hub/center.

I honestly don't know, though... It seems pretty across-the-board at my center that once you've got 30 working days in you're handed the paperwork to join the union.

[EDIT: Actually, I take that back. I, personally, wasn't given/told about the paperwork I had to fill out until I was about 3months in, and even then the dues and whatnot didn't start coming out of my checks for another several months. My seniority date, however, reflects my 31st day of work with UPS.]
  3. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

Depends on your supplement. Many places are 30 in a 90 day period excluding the "free periods" of the summer and Nov 1 -Dec 31 (which will move to Friday of the 2nd week of January). Others are 40 in 70. Check your book. Answers on BC tend to be more general.
  4. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Are you referring to PTers? many days a week do they get sent home?
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I worked 7 months because of free periods before hired.
  6. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

I've seen guys worked up to their 29th day and laid off until their 90 starts over again for well over a year.
  7. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

I got my seniority back in April and still haven't gotten any paperwork about joining the union.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. mixyo

mixyo Active Member

Is there supposed to be? I reached seniority in July and never heard anything about paperwork.
  9. BigBrown609

BigBrown609 Member

I hadn't heard anything about it either until I read this thread lol. I mentioned in case someone here knew something I didn't and might fill me in on it lol

Sent using BrownCafe App
  10. scisector9

scisector9 Active Member

Union paperwork would depend on if you are in a right to work state or not. I'm in a right to work state and here you don't have to join the union. If you have the choice join.

For all the complaining you hear about the IBT and this current contract without the Union we would all be getting much less. See also fed ex or ups management and their health care shenanigans.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would agree but only for FT employees.
  12. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

I didn't know that NY was a right to work state !!
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It's not but if it were I would encourage any PTer to opt out of joining the union.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. jibbs

As far as I know, it was a little slip of paper that asked for some basic information. Had IBT all over it and I was told I needed to fill it out and turn it in to join the union... I guess it's possible I was lied to and it was for some other reason, I just can't imagine what.

And it wasn't like tons of paperwork. Just a single piece of paper, if I recall correctly.
  15. you aint even know it

3-4 most of the time. I don't understand why they just don't get.
  16. you aint even know it

That's because your shop steward is worthless like mine. Unfortunately, you are going to have to go up to your union hall and sign the paperworks.
  17. jibbs

Man, here I was starting to think I had hallucinated that day or something....
  18. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

That's crazy....who can survive on $72 paychecks before taxes for 9 months? Another you know of any new hires in your building hired after these specific employees who have made book?
  19. you aint even know it

Yes. About two.
  20. Oak

Oak Active Member

Why would you do that?