How many people really read the contract. Just wondering

ezmoney5150

After wondering around this site for a while it occurred to me that quite a few posters have never bothered to read either the old contract or the new one. In my facility I get asked questions everyday that are spelled out in the contract. I have Hard copies(written on paper for those who do not know) all around my facility as well as a card with a web address on where to find an internet posted copy of the contract. I do not mind answering questions but at least make half an attempt to read the contract before asking them.
An informed work force will make our Union much stronger and I am just a bit disappointed at the lack of particaption of our members in knowing what their rights are.

What do you think ?
I put a contract in every feeder drivers pigeon hole after every contract and still get asked basic questions. You might as well get used to it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

ezmoney5150

They did. In many of the instances, their lawyers saved them by inserting, "local business conditions may require......"

There are many articles in the contract that include language that can be interpreted differently. That is to both sides advantage, as it leaves it up to a judge and who can sweet talk their side the best.
That knife cuts both ways. I've used gray areas in the contract also to the memberships advantage.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
I don't think driver sups ever read the contract. The company likes to keep them ignorant. Most center manager don't know :censored2: either. Labor manager knows his stuff very well.
It's not their responsibility to know it.
It's the members responsibility.
Labor managers job to know also.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
After wondering around this site for a while it occurred to me that quite a few posters have never bothered to read either the old contract or the new one. In my facility I get asked questions everyday that are spelled out in the contract. I have Hard copies(written on paper for those who do not know) all around my facility as well as a card with a web address on where to find an internet posted copy of the contract. I do not mind answering questions but at least make half an attempt to read the contract before asking them.
An informed work force will make our Union much stronger and I am just a bit disappointed at the lack of particaption of our members in knowing what their rights are.

What do you think ?
I read it all the time. I can't wait for the new language.

ncupser82

I read the contract but still consult my steward before I file...I know I don't need to and I know he can't imply that I should file, but getting perspective from someone who has training on the language helps your case later. For example my center manager thinks I have to wait for approval from a local hearing to get 9.5 hours of work, but my steward contends that I'm already on the list, so when they work Mr over 9.5 for 3 days (last week it was all 5 days), I file! Management will try to make you think that what you read wasn't what it implied, so asking a steward helps strengthen your case!

Sent using BrownCafe App